Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

Postby Impega on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:48 am

toocoldhere wrote:Bhatti to Bath with immediate effect. Can't fault him for wanting more game time

Is he out of contract here at the end of the season, i.e. is that him done at Edinburgh?
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:54 am

Yeah, still a good player but stuck behind two excellent looseheads. Good for Scotland if he can establish himself elsewhere at the level he was at in his last season at Glasgow.

With Schoeman qualifying next season that does potentially leave us light though, all depends on how Cockerill rates Grahamslaw's ability to step up to third choice
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:49 pm

gowrie wrote:Yeah, still a good player but stuck behind two excellent looseheads. Good for Scotland if he can establish himself elsewhere at the level he was at in his last season at Glasgow.

With Schoeman qualifying next season that does potentially leave us light though, all depends on how Cockerill rates Grahamslaw's ability to step up to third choice

only contracted at Bath until end of season, injury cover. Cockerill's farewell was hardly enthusiastic so I doubt he'll be back in or out of contract with Edinburgh. His move from the Weegies looks like a pointless potentially career ending move
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:54 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:

I do agree though that our sole attacking strategy is to hope that Duhan, Darcy or Blair poduce a bit of magic. It was noiceble how Scotland managed to get Duhun on the ball in different ways, much as Laidlaw used to be able to bring Visser in when he played 10. Im sure Jaco could do that and it would create so much more space if we spread the threat around.

game plan. If Duhan can be found all over in his first couple of Scotland outings yet not for Edinburgh, it suggests its not down to Duhan. I'm not convinced by VDW but on this one, even if he has it in him, he can't bring in a player who has not been primed to make that run
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:00 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
Not so much this season and last but the real thing that killed our backs in the past was the slow ball they were given, by that I don't mean quality o scrum half pass, but our clearouts were laborious and it was always just help up a second or 2 so running at organised defences.

First phase is really the only opportunity for complex "moves" as so many backs are asked to ply as flankers, but the simple Sexton wrap has worked for years, it doesn't need to be complex.

and following on, I don't think there's much quick ball this season either! Quite amazing how they managed to see out that game with 101 phases, yet the game plan is 3 phases and kick. I know there is a lot of kicking this season by everyone, and sometimes it has to absolutely be done, but don't seem to have any strategy how to manipulate a defence through phases, move it around, then attack the weak point. That is either down to a SteveWalsh and way too simple game plan, or too often slow ball - which makes manipulating a defence almost impossible

The Sexton loop must have been learned by watching John Rutherford back in the day
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I think a move would be good for Kinghorn but bad for us.

He needs to improve - his game is the same he still makes too many careless mistakes and has lost some of that excitement. Not that I want him to leave but he needs to improve his game and he isn't doing that here.

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/18 ... nxYCul4Cwc

If he does move then he may have to ask someone for a lift to get there!
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:16 am

Impega wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:I think a move would be good for Kinghorn but bad for us.

He needs to improve - his game is the same he still makes too many careless mistakes and has lost some of that excitement. Not that I want him to leave but he needs to improve his game and he isn't doing that here.

Unfortunately (for society, rather than Kinghorn or Edinburgh Rugby), even if he is handed enough points to take him up to beyond 12, he'll almost certainly be allowed to carry on driving by saying he needs to be able to drive to play rugby.

Recent example from cricket: https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/ne ... es-3073243
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:23 am

Frenchy wrote:
Impega wrote:

Unfortunately (for society, rather than Kinghorn or Edinburgh Rugby), even if he is handed enough points to take him up to beyond 12, he'll almost certainly be allowed to carry on driving by saying he needs to be able to drive to play rugby.

Recent example from cricket: https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/ne ... es-3073243

that cricketer still got a 3 month ban I think. And Kinghorn will be charged under Scots Law, which may not be as accommodating, who knows. Kinghorn's ability to get to games, home or away, wont be impacted the same as the cricketers
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Some of the those Borders roads are treacherous, I don't particularly like driving on them, there's always the chance of meeting a Young Farmer taking a blind bend like he's Colin McRae or something.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Glenn Bryce signs for LA in MLR

Appears to be leaving in 2 weeks time, Glasgow short at 15 with Jones seymour and McLean unless someone incoming.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:24 pm

The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:45 am

Great move for him, not really a difficult choice to make, even though Toulon not the force the we’re still some great players and lifestyle will be good. He has reinvented himself after his injury from a 6.5 ball player to a much heavier carrier in traffic, more a traditional 8. Not many players can do that.

Seems to have grown a bit too,no way he was 6,4 when he left Edinburgh! He was a shining light in a pretty dark period at edunburgh.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:47 am

Stevie Scott leaves Scottish - full time role working for Andy Robinson with the Romanian national team. Shame for Scottish, but it's a good move for him in the current environment.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:11 pm

Alun Walker scored two tries and was MotM today as Ealing beat Saracens 27-26.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:07 pm

Huw Jones close to a deal with Bayonne per Jamie Lyall on twitter.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum