Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

Postby The Chiel on Mon May 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Wottie wrote:Scrum Magazine reporting that London Scottish have signed Alex Toolis for the start of next season.

Yup - Scottish confirm this today. Potentially an excellent signing, although we'll wait and see how it turns out. The last big name signing wasn't the biggest success . . .
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 am

Who was that, Vernon?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Who was that, Vernon?

Yes. No one was realistically expecting the RV at the top of his career game, but I for one was hoping for a bit more than we got. Always put in the effort tbf but no one was surprised at the retirement announcement.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue May 14, 2019 2:15 pm

I hope AT does well, a good season at 'Scottish could see him back in the top flight, maybe even a prodigal return?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed May 15, 2019 12:53 pm

I thought he had done a good job at LS, although obviously have seen very little personally. How did Grayson Hart go?

Alex Toolis is interesting, if he can get a regular game it wouldn't be a major stretch to see him in contention for Scotland as T/H said.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed May 15, 2019 9:43 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I thought he had done a good job at LS, although obviously have seen very little personally. How did Grayson Hart go?

Alex Toolis is interesting, if he can get a regular game it wouldn't be a major stretch to see him in contention for Scotland as T/H said.

Hart did well imo, solid at 9 and a couple of interesting Laidlaw-esque outings at 10 ! Sorry to see him move on to Bedford although he's another who is probably not long for pro rugby. Incidentally, if you have a spare 15 minutes, his Twitter account isn't your typical rugby player churn.

News to me that Alex Toolis is in any way currently Scottish qualified, so would be at least 3, probably 5 years qualifying under the new regs following a move back north ? Unless I've missed something ?

From an LS view, the one I really want to keep is Chewie, but all pretty quiet on that front AFAIK.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby frillage on Wed May 15, 2019 10:14 pm

The Chiel wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:I thought he had done a good job at LS, although obviously have seen very little personally. How did Grayson Hart go?

Hart did well imo, solid at 9 and a couple of interesting Laidlaw-esque outings at 10 ! Sorry to see him move on to Bedford although he's another who is probably not long for pro rugby. Incidentally, if you have a spare 15 minutes, his Twitter account isn't your typical rugby player churn.

News to me that Alex Toolis is in any way currently Scottish qualified, so would be at least 3, probably 5 years qualifying under the new regs following a move back north ? Unless I've missed something ?

From an LS view, the one I really want to keep is Chewie, but all pretty quiet on that front AFAIK.

Considering twins and Ben qualified through his mum I think fairly safe bet Alex is also SQ!
frillage
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu May 16, 2019 8:29 am

frillage wrote:
The Chiel wrote:

Considering twins and Ben qualified through his mum I think fairly safe bet Alex is also SQ!

That seems logical ! :lol: I thought Ben qualified through residency . . . :oops:
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu May 16, 2019 9:54 am

I think it would be a long road to get Scotland recognition although he is younger than I thought. I thought they were 28/29.

He won't get picked for Scotland playing for LS so will need a big season then get a move to a prem/TOP 14/pro 14 team and also start well to be close to a chance.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu May 16, 2019 11:21 am

Would be very surprised if Alex Toolis got another chance in Scotland. Both teams have a fair few top class second rows, good second rows and promising young second rows.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri May 17, 2019 11:27 am

Tim Visser is to retire from pro rugby at the end of the season

Best of luck to him
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri May 17, 2019 11:51 am

Tichtheid wrote:Tim Visser is to retire from pro rugby at the end of the season

Best of luck to him

One of, if not the best, finisher we have had.

Dread to think how bad some of our seasons would have been without his tries!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Absolute legend ( and a real gentleman)-what was it, 69 tries for Edinburgh (plus 39 for Quins and 14 for Scotland.
Got some stick for his defence but his all-round performance against Wales in 2017 totally outplaying George North could easily have put him on that year's Lions tour.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 am

Luke Hamilton signs a short term deal with Red Hurricanes in Japan...handy part of the world for a rugby player to be in the next few months
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 pm

The dubiously reliable Wales Online reporting that SHC potentially going to Toulouse as RWC cover for their two main scrum halves who are both in the French squad. Would have thought at his stage he would be better getting himself a club that he can establish himself and secure a regular game rather than becoming an injury cover guy!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum