Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Feel fo Jamie, must be a heartbreak, although I’m sure Maggies no seeing it that way.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:29 am

Ayton1keith wrote:Well who would have thought, Edinburgh cast off Piers Francis heading off to RWC 2019 with England

didn't see that coming - at least until recently, he has been in and around the squad for a while now.

he was a good player here in a SteveWalsh team, lambasted for not being a 90% goal kicker rather than watching the player playing rugby behind a bumblingly slow pack and poor scrumhalfs
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:51 am

joe soap wrote:
Ayton1keith wrote:Well who would have thought, Edinburgh cast off Piers Francis heading off to RWC 2019 with England

didn't see that coming - at least until recently, he has been in and around the squad for a while now.

he was a good player here in a SteveWalsh team, lambasted for not being a 90% goal kicker rather than watching the player playing rugby behind a bumblingly slow pack and poor scrumhalfs

His kicking was legitimately woeful though, and then he seemed to lose confidence in his general play as well. He would probably have done alright if he'd come here and played centre instead of being parachuted in partway through the season as the fly-half of a shambolic team.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:15 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
joe soap wrote:

His kicking was legitimately woeful though, and then he seemed to lose confidence in his general play as well. He would probably have done alright if he'd come here and played centre instead of being parachuted in partway through the season as the fly-half of a shambolic team.

his goal kicking was poor, no dispute on that. The rest of your post is on the money. TBH he never looked like a fly half or a front line goal kicker, certainly at professional level. Never more than emergency back up for either. He did look like a good 12 when we saw him there.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:57 am

Denton has retired with concussion issues.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:05 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Denton has retired with concussion issues.

That's the entirely right and sensible decision from a "rest of his life to live" viewpoint, albeit I'm sure a great blow and a great shame for him personally at the moment. Best wishes to him for the future.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:12 am

That's a real shame for him but concussion is a serious business.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:36 am

Obviously it’s the right decision, but a sad one for rugby fans.

I have daughters and they don’t play rugby, but recently I’ve been wondering how happy I’d be about any sons of mine playing, especially at the pro level.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Obviously it’s the right decision, but a sad one for rugby fans.

I have daughters and they don’t play rugby, but recently I’ve been wondering how happy I’d be about any sons of mine playing, especially at the pro level.

This isn't a gender-specific issue, although the men get paid to take the risks whereas the women don't.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm

bignose wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Obviously it’s the right decision, but a sad one for rugby fans.

This isn't a gender-specific issue, although the men get paid to take the risks whereas the women don't.

Apologies, it wasn't my intention to suggest that concussion is gender-specific, more that I'd be uncomfortable with any child of mine playing the game now.

According to a report I just read, concussions are more than 8 times more likely in the men's game compared to the women's.

Contrary to what I thought, concussion is more prevalent per 1000 match hours at the lower levels compared to the elite
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25138311
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Contrary to what I thought, concussion is more prevalent per 1000 match hours at the lower levels compared to the elite

That's interesting, given the physicality at elite level. I imagine the difference comes from technique and awareness.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:45 pm

Sad news that Denton's playing career is over. Hope he does well in whatever he does next.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Frenchy wrote:Sad news that Denton's playing career is over. Hope he does well in whatever he does next.

Better now than after one too many knocks to the head, pity though,I enjoyed watching him play.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:26 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
bignose wrote:

Apologies, it wasn't my intention to suggest that concussion is gender-specific, more that I'd be uncomfortable with any child of mine playing the game now.

According to a report I just read, concussions are more than 8 times more likely in the men's game compared to the women's.

Contrary to what I thought, concussion is more prevalent per 1000 match hours at the lower levels compared to the elite

It’s also several times more likely that the tackler gets concussed rather than the ball carrier. I would posit that lower level players see the big hits in the Pro game and forget the basics, ie get your head the right side, cheek to cheek, wrap the legs.

I regard myself as fortunate to have been concussed only twice in nearly 40 years of playing Rugby. Once from an accidental boot to the head in a ruck and once from tackling Junior Paramore in a training session.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Found myself wondering what Greig Tonks was up to.

Retired this summer, now an assistant coach (skills and counter attack) at Rams RFC, who play in the English National League 1.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum