Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:27 am

It doesn't sound great and coupled with the interview with Matt Scott it does suggest Cockers has favourites and if you are not in you are definitely out. I would have thought that communication would be better.

One thing that bugs me, I have seen and heard a few interviews with players, Barclay, Adam Ashe, Hue Jones and others and they have all said they have no equipment, particularly weights, to train with at home Adam Ashe was talking about just going for walks for exercise and using medibands. It looked like Edinburgh sent out their kit to players to train at home which is a start. But is bugs me a bit that none of them seem to have thought about buying their own stuff. Not that hard to get something delivered from Argos or Sports Direct. I would have thought it being their livelihood they would have been desperate to make sure they went back to training in the best shape they could. Its not like they had much else to do. They are relatively well paid, a couple of hundred quid surely would be well spent.

Just seems a bit disappointing the lack of self motivation. Don't get me started on Adam Ashe's pod cast, he comes across as very unprofessional. Im all for guys having fun, but if you didn't know who he was I don't think you wouldnt think he was a professional sportsman the way he talks about the game.
Last edited by dolf_lundgren on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Yes I'm absolutely amazed.JB has been a pro since he left school and was just shy of his 18th birthday.If in all that time (or frankly whilst still at school) he didn't buy any weights to use at home it does seem very unprofessional. And he could have had some delivered to his door by Amazon at the start of the lockdown at very modest cost.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:25 pm

They have probably never needed to own weights they will always have been in clubs training 2 or 3 times a day or have access to gyms etc.

I get they could easily have bought kit, but how much would a pro rugby player need to maintain their muscle mass a little resistance training may be better than none but to really get any benefit they would need serious amounts of kit, some players will live in flats or not have space/strong enough floors for weight racks etc.

Agree on Ashe though can see him struggle to get another pro contract
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:47 am

Edinburgh made a pretty big splash about delivering cardio equipment, loose weights, squat stands etc to players so I'm amazed Glasgow didn't do the same. May be a local decision driven by Cockerill and his team though.

Hopefully we'll see the benefit of it and wipe the floor with them in August :D
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Apparently Glasgow had the van loaded ready to go but Cockers said he wanted the stuff for his home gym, so they had no choice but to hand it over.

Long and short if it is that it is really Scott Johnsons fault.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:04 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Interview with Barclay.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/exclusiv ... cba1185463

Disappointing to hear he was nudged aside a bit,particularly with regard leadership, on form last season he was prob 3rd choice 6 or 7 when all back row fit but i think he still could of had a role to play with all our younger back rows.

Hope he gets himself sorted with something

Hopefully he finds something. I like Barclay a lot and I think RC can handle some things better but I don't necessarily buy the not being allowed to fight for the jersey bit. The other options have mostly performed better than him when given a chance.

It seems strange not to include him in the leadership group though even if there are plenty of experienced players at the club.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:25 am

BigD163 wrote:

Disappointing to hear he was nudged aside a bit,particularly with regard leadership, on form last season he was prob 3rd choice 6 or 7 when all back row fit but i think he still could of had a role to play with all our younger back rows.

Hopefully he finds something. I like Barclay a lot and I think RC can handle some things better but I don't necessarily buy the not being allowed to fight for the jersey bit. The other options have mostly performed better than him when given a chance.

It seems strange not to include him in the leadership group though even if there are plenty of experienced players at the club.

Especially considering when he returned from injury he was given the jersey over Ritchie, Bradbury and Crosbie who were arguably all performing better.

Barclay was probably the 7th best backrow option at the club this season on form. Unfortunate and I hope he finds something but he's a top man so I'm sure he will.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:57 am

BigD163 wrote:

I wonder if the leadership group thing is because RC is trying to build a long term leadership group and ethos, and had got rid of the 'old school'. He may have thought there was a danger of Barclay's views becoming overly dominant in the group. Not saying it's right but it might have been the thinking.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:26 pm

biffer wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

I wonder if the leadership group thing is because RC is trying to build a long term leadership group and ethos, and had got rid of the 'old school'. He may have thought there was a danger of Barclay's views becoming overly dominant in the group. Not saying it's right but it might have been the thinking.

There is also the fact that with Rambo, Pyrgos and Gilchrist there are guys who have been international captains and younger guys like Ritchie who will become a leader.

To be fair though, Barclay has never been disruptive so I doubt it would have been a bad thing to include him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:13 pm

biffer wrote:

Probably the nearest I think.
Cockerill doesn't like to be challenged, he struggled badly with Leicester when new concepts were needed and pushed by his assistant (Maugher). And for BigD's benefit, Barclay isn't disruptive but he does speak his mind and doesn't suffer fools gladly. Its possible Cockerill took him the wrong way and cold shouldered him.
I can see a case for building a future leadership group but it was very odd to leave Barclay out of it while he was at the club. A player who will set standards, can't have too many of those. Setting standards on and off the park isn't something Edinburgh have always set standards at!
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:43 pm

J-P Socino has signed for Sarries.

We never seemed to get the best out of him. As a backup 10/12 he might have been handy for the coming season, unlikely to be on huge money as was playing in Spain last year.

I do think we need someone to cover 10, it is a glaring weakspot.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:17 pm

I have to agree with the above, from what I saw he looked good but didn’t get a lot of game time to prove himself to us.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 pm

Interview with matt smith on rugbypass

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/id-alway ... ssion=true

Shocking and sobering, glad he is out the other side.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:16 pm

A pretty harrowing read indeed. I hope some of his suggestions are taken forward. We bemoan the numbers of people playing the game, but for those that do there does not appear to be much of a duty of care.

Wondering if the game should do something at a competition level too e.g. minimal playing hours for each teams squad. It might help level the playing field, and mitigate some players being overplayed too.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 am

sammy wrote:A pretty harrowing read indeed. I hope some of his suggestions are taken forward. We bemoan the numbers of people playing the game, but for those that do there does not appear to be much of a duty of care.

Wondering if the game should do something at a competition level too e.g. minimal playing hours for each teams squad. It might help level the playing field, and mitigate some players being overplayed too.

I think the SRU do a lot with mental health already. Glasgow had a coach in to deal with it Smith just didn't visit because he thought the coaches would think he was weak. It's very sad, maybe as part of rehab from injuries or game performances there is a mental coach as well as the physical and tactical coaches.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum