Edinburgh Vs Toulon

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Vs Toulon

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:05 pm

David990 wrote:Considering your currently making Toulon your bitch, this thread is very quiet :lol:

There’s been a murrrderrr :lol:
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:32 pm

I'm TonySpreadbury already, that was worth a season ticket alone.
STKS
International

Postby Frenchy on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Didn't see the game; just saw the score.

Nice one.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:11 pm

One of the best performances in a long time. The whole team played well for 80 minutes, and definitely deserved the bonus point. Toulon were very ordinary, and created very little. But hats off to the Edinburgh players for giving them an absolute doing. We stopped their maul, dominated them in the line out, and pretty much held our own in the scrum. Our backs looked far better and more imaginative than theirs. They really look like a club in trouble, just shows that money can't always buy success.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:23 pm

David990 wrote:Considering your currently making Toulon your bitch, this thread is very quiet :lol:

We are at the game.

Decent crowd, hopefully will encourage a good turnout for Scarlets.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Cockerill on Mata :D

“He’s a good player, but he’s allowed to play well in this team because there’s a good balance in that back row and there are lots of guys making tackles and cleaning rucks that he doesn’t do. Which is fine, because he has a point of difference. We’ve worked really hard to get him fit and he loves playing here.

“We look after him, and if I had to choose between Vili and the wife then it’d be a close one . . . . Which Vili would win.”

https://theoffsideline.com/champions-cu ... the-sword/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Decent shift. Further thoughts at: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:One of the best Edinburgh performances I have seen. Nobody letting the team down.

Mata as always awesome, Graham and VDW both very good I also think Toolis had a huge game and pyrgos controlled things very well.

To add to the above

Watched again :) still a very good performance from all but some more individuals worthy of note Scott had a belter in midfield and we possibly take it for granted but Mcinally and Watson are at the very top of their games week in week out. Dell has always been good in the loose but was solid in the scrum against some big butter beans.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:15 am

The Feral Goat wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:One of the best Edinburgh performances I have seen. Nobody letting the team down.

Mata as always awesome, Graham and VDW both very good I also think Toolis had a huge game and pyrgos controlled things very well.

To add to the above

Watched again :) still a very good performance from all but some more individuals worthy of note Scott had a belter in midfield and we possibly take it for granted but Mcinally and Watson are at the very top of their games week in week out. Dell has always been good in the loose but was solid in the scrum against some big butter beans.

Difficult to think of someone who didn't play well. WP is gradually getting back to his best too. Shame about Bradbury but we do have great replacements. All this without Schoeman, VdM and Carmichael too...
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:53 am

Great result for the guys,played like a well drilled team;unlike Toulon who looked shell shocked and disinterested at times,but you can only play whats put in front of you and Edinburgh exploited that to perfection.The only downside was I had a busload of Toulon supporters to my rear in the Gold section,but as their superstars were dismantled their noise level dropped, also my overstretched vocal chords my have had a bearing on this .All in all a cracking afternoons rugby.We can do this and qualify from this pool.BELIEVE.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:00 am

macdone wrote:
Difficult to think of someone who didn't play well. WP is gradually getting back to his best too. Shame about Bradbury but we do have great replacements. All this without Schoeman, VdM and Carmichael too...

Yeah you have to be excited about Van Der Merwe, Kinghorn and Graham in the back three.

Kinghorn had a great game, made his tackles, his distribution as second receiver is delughtful.

Looking forward to Carmichael returning but how good have GG and Toolis been putting together excellent 80 minutes performances against monster packs? I don't envy Toonie choosing between Gray, GG, Toolis and Skinner next month.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:10 am

THE TRIES. Go on people, wear out the play button!! You can see the bother Maggie is in when he goes down before the 3rd try. Doesn't look great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dA-DTWkkDI
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:58 am

Wottie wrote:THE TRIES. Go on people, wear out the play button!! You can see the bother Maggie is in when he goes down before the 3rd try. Doesn't look great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dA-DTWkkDI

We were thinking broken arm. Anyone heard anything?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:29 pm

Fantastic performance against a poor Toulon side who were made to look even worse by us. No real weaknesses across the squad.

I think VdW playing flatter enables us to break the gain line more often and get front foot ball. Pyrgos is running the team now and was quietly superb, every decision right and every kick in the right spot. He has made the difference to the team and it is obvious everyone is far more comfortable and confident when he is at 9.

Pack were immense in both attack and defence and were far far fitter and more dynamic than their opposite numbers. Toolis and GC were once again a dominant force around the park and in the set piece.

Hopefully the confidence is building and the guys are beginning to believe in themselves more. In full flow they look very impressive.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:41 pm

Martin Bell wrote:Decent shift. Further thoughts at: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

Quality as always Martin. Like you said that quartet in the Toulon back line would strike feat into an international side - but they got pretty much nowhere against the Edinburgh defence.
disco
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum