Edinburgh Vs Toulon

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh Vs Toulon

Postby Ron on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Toulon Supporters welcome to Edinburgh evening, This Friday from 19.30.

Edinburgh Supporters are hosting a welcome evening for The RCT Bulls at the Foxy Fiddler, 192-194 Morrison Street Edinburgh. EH3 8EB

Foxy Fiddler will be providing haggis, neeps, and tatties at a cost of £5 probably at 20.30. Notwithstanding that their normal food offering will still be available to all, hopefully at our normal discount.

Can any supporters intending to come along please indicate once by replying to this or any post on other social media platforms.
Ron
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh Vs Toulon

Postby biffer on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:43 pm

I think I'll stick my head in
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 am

For Scottish Internationalists is it 5 match day squads then a rest or is 5 starts etc?

Think we only have Toolis that has been in the last 5 starting teams, Ritiche has been in the squads but last 3 have been from the bench.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Hmm,that would be a great pity as we are really very low on locks and would mean starting Hunter-Hill with again no proper second row on the bench. I suspect the "rule" will simply be ignored given the importance of this fixture.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:13 am

I think it might be, also neither are likely to be considered high priority given where they are in th electing order and may not be that busy over November.

I noticed on a BBC story about Christian Wade leaving Wasps for the NFL there was a bit tagged on about Fekitoa joining them from Toulon, I really hope this goes throughout today!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:46 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I think it might be, also neither are likely to be considered high priority given where they are in th electing order and may not be that busy over November.

I noticed on a BBC story about Christian Wade leaving Wasps for the NFL there was a bit tagged on about Fekitoa joining them from Toulon, I really hope this goes throughout today!

For next season apparently.

They're in meltdown though. This is a should win game, really think we'll cut loose.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 am

They also have Bastearaut available this weekend after his 5 week suspension.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:13 am

A wee reminder that Edinburgh Supporters welcome Toulon Supporters at the Foxy Fiddler on Morrison Street tonight from 7.30pm.

Haggis Neeps and tatties served at 8.30 for £5 or buy your dinner from their normal menu.

Please come along.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:41 am

Always makes me nervous when I see games like this being referred to as "should win". Even as a team in crisis, Toulon are bigger and better than us. We've no reason to fear them but we're still the underdogs here.

We've definitely got a win in us here, but we're going to have to be at our best - and go in with the right attitude - to get it.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:53 am

Rico wrote:Always makes me nervous when I see games like this being referred to as "should win". Even as a team in crisis, Toulon are bigger and better than us. We've no reason to fear them but we're still the underdogs here.

We've definitely got a win in us here, but we're going to have to be at our best - and go in with the right attitude - to get it.

Yeah, what 'should' happen is an old Edinburgh problem - we 'should' beat that team, I 'should' be selected for Scotland, etc. It's indicative of the old expectation habits that have plagued us for years and it's the last thing I want to be hearing tbh.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 am

biffer wrote:
Rico wrote:Always makes me nervous when I see games like this being referred to as "should win". Even as a team in crisis, Toulon are bigger and better than us. We've no reason to fear them but we're still the underdogs here.

Yeah, what 'should' happen is an old Edinburgh problem - we 'should' beat that team, I 'should' be selected for Scotland, etc. It's indicative of the old expectation habits that have plagued us for years and it's the last thing I want to be hearing tbh.

And new Edinburgh is delivering what they should do. Toulon have a lot of names on paper but recent history suggests they're in complete crises.

It's a game we should win, I expect them to. If Toulon's megastars click they'll handle anyone but if they don't they lose at home to Newcastle's second string!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:36 am

We should have beaten Benetton last season :evil:

Whatever Toulon deliver is up to them, we need to go out and produce our best performance of the season and see what result that gets us.

Irrespective of should win if we have any ambition to progress from the group it is a home game so a must win.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Head Coach Richard Cockerill has made just one change to his Edinburgh side as they face three-times Heineken Cup Champions, RC Toulon, at BT Murrayfield tomorrow afternoon (Saturday 20 October, kick-off 3.15pm).

Jaco van der Walt starts at stand-off in the place of Simon Hickey – who drops to the bench – as Edinburgh host their first Heineken Champions Cup fixture since January 2014.

There are two alterations to the bench as Fosroc Scottish Rugby Academy graduate, Luke Crosbie, joins scrum-half Nathan Fowles among the replacements.

Ahead of the fixture, Head Coach Richard Cockerill issued a rallying cry for the city to get behind its club as they face-off against one European rugby’s most star-studded sides.

“A bumper crowd would definitely give us an edge,” said Cockerill. “We’re bringing the three-times European Champions to BT Murrayfield to play Edinburgh.

“It is, to a point, new territory for us in recent history, so I’d love the supporters to come along and get behind their city and support us.

"We’re going to try our best. We’ve always said we’re a side that’s developing, but we’re learning our lessons quickly.

"As I’ve always said, we’re going to try and win every time we play. We didn’t last weekend, but we gave Montpellier one hell of a PaulHoniss.

“The next step is to start picking off these big teams and we’re going to try and that against Toulon this Saturday.”

An unchanged back-three sees fullback Blair Kinghorn named alongside wingers Dougie Fife – a try-scorer in last weekend’s Heineken Champions Cup opener in Montpellier – and Darcy Graham.

In the midfield, Matt Scott – fresh off being named in the Scotland squad for the 2018 Autumn Tests – is partnered by James Johnstone. Henry Pyrgos is selected at scrum-half alongside Van der Walt, who makes only his third start of the season after facing Connacht and Leinster earlier in the season.

An all Scotland tight-five sees hooker and captain Stuart McInally pack down alongside WP Nel and Allan Dell in the front-row, whilst Ben Toolis and Grant Gilchrist continue their partnership in the second-row.

After another all-action performance against Montpellier, Fijian star Bill Mata starts at number eight, with Scotland internationalists Hamish Watson and Magnus Bradbury completing the back-row.

Edinburgh team to face RC Toulon at BT Murrayfield in the Heineken Champions Cup on Saturday 20 October, kick-off 3.15pm – live on BT Sport.

15. Blair Kinghorn (70)

14. Darcy Graham (8)

13. James Johnstone (24)

12. Matt Scott (79)

11. Dougie Fife (113)

10. Jaco van der Walt (21)

9. Henry Pyrgos (6)

1. Allan Dell (50)

2. Stuart McInally (126) CAPTAIN

3. WP Nel (121)

4. Ben Toolis (95)

5. Grant Gilchrist (126)

6. Magnus Bradbury (58)

7. Hamish Watson (87)

8. Bill Mata (42)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (184); 17. Rory Sutherland (66); 18. Simon Berghan (54); 19. Luke Crosbie (14); 20. Jamie Ritchie (55); 21. Nathan Fowles (60); 22. Simon Hickey (6); 23. Chris Dean (70)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:00 pm

biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Did Cockers really say that we gave Montpellier one hell of a PaulHonis?

When the draw was made this fixture was a “oh well, let’s see how we go against one of the European powerhouses to test our progress”, now I think we can really compete. A bit more composure and confidence than last week and we can win this.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum