v Zebre (Friday 7pm)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: v Zebre (Friday 7pm)

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:57 pm

biffer wrote:I think if any other player had been released by Scotland they would have been captain. Irony is that if Bradbury hadn't been crocked last week we would probably have had Ritchie released.

one of them for sure. Would that have changed the outcome - not so sure
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Don't think the pack was the biggest issue tonight, individual errors aside, as a unit they did OK particularly first half. Struggled to deliver quick ball, but the half backs never looked like changing things whatever ball they got.

Is VDW injured? His flatter more aggressive style would have caused them more problems.

Who else is there that could come in and make a difference? Johnstone was quiet tonight socino has done little with his opportunities to date, does Taylor get a shot? Is it time to give Sheil a run, are Hoyland or Brown fit?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:01 pm

biffer wrote:
BruceLee wrote:Normal service has been resumed.Acceptable first half,2nd half an absolute shocker;even taking into account the changes made from last week.They were not a good side,we were just awful on that showing.First try,woeful defence,2nd try;Dougy Fife what were you thinking about when you let the ball bounce? Third try, surprise ,surprise another mistake.Come on guys that was a joke against a bottom pro 14 side,really not good enough.Cant take any positives from that match.

Oh for God's sake. What a typically Edinburgh comment. In what way is that typical of the last year? It's as bad as the expect to win crowd, the oh were jamesmatthew well that's what I expect attitude.

God I get frustrated at the arrogance of our support.

Sorry have you been on the sauce or some mind bending drug,cant grasp what you mean in that rant.We as supporters are entitled to our opinion,even if you don't care for it! ps when did I mention last season ?
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

BruceLee wrote:
biffer wrote:
BruceLee wrote:Normal service has been resumed.Acceptable first half,2nd half an absolute shocker;even taking into account the changes made from last week.They were not a good side,we were just awful on that showing.First try,woeful defence,2nd try;Dougy Fife what were you thinking about when you let the ball bounce? Third try, surprise ,surprise another mistake.Come on guys that was a joke against a bottom pro 14 side,really not good enough.Cant take any positives from that match.

Oh for God's sake. What a typically Edinburgh comment. In what way is that typical of the last year? It's as bad as the expect to win crowd, the oh were jamesmatthew well that's what I expect attitude.

God I get frustrated at the arrogance of our support.

Sorry have you been on the sauce or some mind bending drug,cant grasp what you mean in that rant.We as supporters are entitled to our opinion,even if you don't care for it! ps when did I mention last season ?

What I mean by it is that there's a certain set of supporters who have opinions that are monumental piles of bull, and are as much a part of the past attitude problems as the players were. In fact they're where the players picked it up from. People are entitled to have those attitudes, and I'm entitled to say what I think about them.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:07 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Don't think the pack was the biggest issue tonight, individual errors aside, as a unit they did OK particularly first half. Struggled to deliver quick ball, but the half backs never looked like changing things whatever ball they got.

Is VDW injured? His flatter more aggressive style would have caused them more problems.

Who else is there that could come in and make a difference? Johnstone was quiet tonight socino has done little with his opportunities to date, does Taylor get a shot? Is it time to give Sheil a run, are Hoyland or Brown fit?

There's no one to come in who we could expect to make a difference. The guys we should be entitled to expect to make a difference were on the pitch. And they didn't.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby crabbie on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:30 pm

What a difference a week makes .
Agree about comments on Ford .
Will likely fall into a job managing the SRU gym
crabbie
International

Postby Rasho on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:34 pm

No intensity, fight or desire to win and completely lacking leadership. That was the difference, not tactics today.
Cockers will be absolutely raging!
Rasho
Established pro

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:53 pm

I don't think Cockerill and his coaches are exempt from criticism, we still appear to have very limited tactics and be heavily reliant on individual brilliance to make the breaks to score. We look good against poorly organised or lazy defences like Toulon but struggle against any that has decent structure.

Throw in the application and fight shown in that second 40 and we get torn a new one.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:01 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I don't think Cockerill and his coaches are exempt from criticism, we still appear to have very limited tactics and be heavily reliant on individual brilliance to make the breaks to score. We look good against poorly organised or lazy defences like Toulon but struggle against any that has decent structure.

Throw in the application and fight shown in that second 40 and we get torn a new one.

I'm not entirely sure that's the case wrt to tries. Last few weeks have been a mix of reaction from Turnovers and backs moves. We've created tries from some. Terrific back moves recently
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:02 pm

joe soap wrote:
biffer wrote:
Come into the light, my son.

I was there before you, you're welcome. Gives me no pleasure too see this coming. I guess you can get it right sometimes too :(

I'm counting. You as a convert
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby SanSepolcro on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:38 pm

We were there tonight and also happened to be in the same hotel as the team. Once back, a few of the boys came over for a chat and apologised unreservedly for the performance. Genuinely hurting after that one - you could see and hear it. No delusions of grandeur or shrugging it off. Determined to improve.
SanSepolcro
International

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:44 pm

SanSepolcro wrote:We were there tonight and also happened to be in the same hotel as the team. Once back, a few of the boys came over for a chat and apologised unreservedly for the performance. Genuinely hurting after that one - you could see and hear it. No delusions of grandeur or shrugging it off. Determined to improve.

I'd be interested to know who came over. If some of the experienced guys don't know where the pronlens were, then they shouldn't be in the squad. And no amount of apologies can compensate for that.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:52 pm

Very very poor display! For me the main problem was Hickeys aalignment, he got deeper and deeper as the game went on drawing defenders and putting centres into trouble. Ball never got to our strike runners. VdM was anonymous. We let their rush defence dominate the game and Hickey ended up shipping suicide balls. VdW sitting flatter would have drawn defence, made a few yards and got us over gain line, he would have run better lines and got runners coming in at different angles. With Hickey we ended up either going one up off 9 or getting caught behind gain line and kickings balll away. Fords legs have gone and we missed ball carrying of GC and Toolis. Cockers will be AlainRolland furious!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:47 am

Cockerill is getting a bit of a free ride here. The players on the pitch did not work out Zebre's rush defence, or change tactics when Zebre upped th tempo after half time, so Cockerill should have been getting messages on to tell them what to do.

I am a big fan of what he has done, but do think there is a long way to go which is why before the season started I was a lot less optimistic than some. However in this case I think he got it wrong, though of course it could be that the players were just not executing the instructions they were given.

In retrospect making Pyrgos captain was a mistake. When things needed changed, he just kept chugging along doing the same things. With Edinburgh trailing and time running out, I could not believe it when he out up a box kick, to hand possession and any chance of scoring to Zebre.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:56 am

I don't think we should be going overboard about this loss. Not great, for sure, but neither was it entirely unexpected (I don't like to say I told you so, but.....). We had a team lacking most of its leading players, it's leaders, containing some players who have not played at this level, and others who have had very little game time so far this season. It was a lot to expect that they would produce a winning performance away to a decent Zebre side not missing many first team picks. Many of the players will be better for having had meaningful game time at pro level, and I'd expect improved performances next week.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum