v Zebre (Friday 7pm)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: v Zebre (Friday 7pm)

Postby BruceLee on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:13 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:I don't think we should be going overboard about this loss. Not great, for sure, but neither was it entirely unexpected (I don't like to say I told you so, but.....). We had a team lacking most of its leading players, it's leaders, containing some players who have not played at this level, and others who have had very little game time so far this season. It was a lot to expect that they would produce a winning performance away to a decent Zebre side not missing many first team picks. Many of the players will be better for having had meaningful game time at pro level, and I'd expect improved performances next week.

Maybe not a win CC,but a closer scoreline than that.They were a very average team,we were abysmal in that second half,whether coaching,execution of a game plan or fitness,that was not an acceptable performance on the whole;albeit some players did play well,some did not .All said and done, we need to start winning these games against teams such as Zebre, even away from home.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:19 am

Absolutely woeful-like watching two different games after Hickey missed a pretty simple penalty to put us 16-0 up after 35mins.
I think there must be real concerns now about our ability to make the Champions Cup for next season (particularly ironic after all the euphoria of last weekend.) Our next 3 fixtures are:
Scarlets (H) -they will be buoyant after coming back against Kings and scoring six tries. A win would be particularly helpful as points "double up" so to speak as against one of our main rivals.
Dragons (A) The day after Argentina so possibly even fewer releases from the national squad than yesterday.They could well be pretty close to full strength apart from Moriarty.Horrible fixture to play especially at 5.30 on a Sunday night.
Munster (A) So five days later(!!) we have to play Munster away. Ridiculous scheduling,enough said. Again likely at least some of our Scotland squad players will be rested before the Newcastle and Glasgow double headers to follow on the next four weekends.
So if we can't pick much if anything from these 3 fixtures we are going to be well adrift not only of playoff places but also the fourth place spot for the Champions Cup play-off (remembering Benetton are doing well and much improved.)
Sorry if this sounds negative but just trying to be realistic.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Bit back the tears (of rage) to opine elsewhere: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports For those who read SCRUM, I'll also be saying something about strength in depth there this week.

Reading the views above, I'm inclined to agree with the suggestion that the tactics for the match weren't right, so Cockers may direct some of his ire at himself. On the park, what we really needed was for someone to take control and steady the ship when Zebre came back, but Hank couldn't do the leadership bit on his own. With a bit more experience, Hunter-Hill should be able to step into the breach there, but I'd have expected more from the established players. We need to expand the leadership group.

It was always a banana skin and we duly slipped on it.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:48 am

Not seeing reported anywhere, but according to a friend of a friend, Crosbie has a broken jaw and needs surgery.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:38 am

That,s hellish.Just when we thought we had a big stock of back row resources to lose Bradbury and Crosbie (on top of Barclay) is not good. Isn't Naholo(?) injured as well? Really test our resources next week when Scotland requirements will presumably also take Bergham (if fit?),Fife and possibly some of Ford,Pyrgos and Hamilton (as "spares" rather than bench.
Any news yet of what the situation is with Bradbury though?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:21 pm

From the kick off it was quite clear that Zebra were playing a rush defence and putting real pressure on our centres to stop the ball going wide to our dangerous strike runners - VdM and Graham. Hickey struggled throughout and ended up getting deeper and deeper to get time but ended up just putting our ball carriers into all sorts of problems as they were tackled behind the gain line and behind our pack who couldn't get back to clear out etc. We ended up coughing the ball up or forced to kick possession away. Unfortunately we didnt have Toolis, GC or McInally who can get over the gain line when trucking the ball up. Our inexperienced 2nd row struggled in carrying and Ford was just too static and too upright when receiving the ball. We had no plan B or if we did then didnt put it into operation and ended up just panicking when not knowing what to do next.

I would have thought we should have got Hickey sat flatter and closer to the gain line and got runners coming off him at an angle in order to get behind the defence - then we could have spread the ball wider. If there was a game when we needed VdW then this was it, he is bigger and braver than Hickey and takes the oppo defence on with the ball and can off load. He would have made the Zebra defence think twice as he attacked their 9-10 and 10-12 channels. He is also a bit cleverer with the wee kicks behind the rush defence.

For me I'm still unsure that Hickey is our long term option at 10 and Fridays game doesn't do anything to diminish my doubts. VdW seems a far better option for our game plan as we saw against Toulon. Perhaps Pyrgos should have taken more control and made more decisions from 9?

Once the team started going backwards with their own ball, didnt get over the gain line and lost any direction from the half backs then Im not surprised the younger guys lost their way. I was hoping for the likes of Ford to stand up and be counted but to be honest it was a relief to see Cherry come on in his place. Either his head or his legs or both have gone!

If true then big blow for Crosbie who was only just getting back to fitness and form, he is a good player.

Cockers team is still in transition and this will be a steep learning curve for him and the players who had a chance to show him what they can do. I suspect some will have to do something special to get another game this season!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Checked the source for the Crosbie injury, it is correct.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Weegie wrote:Checked the source for the Crosbie injury, it is correct.

Rory Darge (Melrose and Scotland u20 flanker) was taken off club duty to be part of the extended Edinburgh squad for the Zebre game. Possible he'll make his debut next week. Huge talent - but he is only 18.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:33 pm

I had a relaxing weekend away...

...wasn't so relaxed watching the game back!!

Firstly, credit to Zebre. Better than I gave them credit for. Not woeful but I don't think very good still.

Edinburgh, holy cow. Hot trash. Hunter-Hill was abysmal, Fife not catching the ball!!!!!!

That's 14 totally unforgivable points.

Awful, awfully, awful, awful, awful, awful.

Thought Crosbie was good - real shame he's injured.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 am

disco wrote:
Weegie wrote:Checked the source for the Crosbie injury, it is correct.

Rory Darge (Melrose and Scotland u20 flanker) was taken off club duty to be part of the extended Edinburgh squad for the Zebre game. Possible he'll make his debut next week. Huge talent - but he is only 18.

Cockers also name checked Connor Boyle in an interview saying he would have been in the squad if he was not carrying an injury. Amazing to think we were struggling to see why we needed Hamilton given our back row resources and here we are in a bit of bother for the international window at both 2nd row and back row.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:46 am

Darcy Graham now in full squad

Bradbury, Crosbie and Denton released to clubs for treatment.

Scott has concussion but remains with squad

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/10 ... land-squad
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:00 am

I am going to have to watch this again. Whilst Hunter-Hill was a long way off perfect, I did not think he was as bad (one glaring mistake aside) as many are saying.

On second thoughts, I'm not watching that again.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:01 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Darcy Graham now in full squad

He's in form, so surely deserves a chance in a "development" match, especially when Maitland and McGuigan are counted out for this one. I think we can just about cope with losing another back for this weekend, but not another back-rower.

Interesting that Maggie is still not completely ruled out of the AIs, just "released" back for medical care. Outside chance of making the Argentina game?
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:39 am

TheSmidge wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Darcy Graham now in full squad

He's in form, so surely deserves a chance in a "development" match, especially when Maitland and McGuigan are counted out for this one. I think we can just about cope with losing another back for this weekend, but not another back-rower.

Interesting that Maggie is still not completely ruled out of the AIs, just "released" back for medical care. Outside chance of making the Argentina game?

They've not said what he actually did or reported back from the scan. If he got a shoulder dislocation or seperation where it rattled about in the joint but didn't come out, it depends if any muscle or ligament damage was done. Or if he's popped his AC, that's incredibly painful, but again so long as there's no tearing he could be back quickly. Of course any tears and it's months.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Is Tom Brown fit?

I saw Hoyland was doing pr stuff at Glen Moray with John Barclay so he is presumably not ready to play yet.

I’m still raging at the capitulation, it’s one thing to be beaten by a better side, but completely something else to go from being totally in control, have a kick to go to 16-0 nearing half time and lose to a five league point spanking

Thirty LawrenceBryce four - six LawrenceBryce teen
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum