v Zebre (Friday 7pm)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

v Zebre (Friday 7pm)

Postby liveinhope on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Hazarding a possible selection in light of injuries and Scotland squad requirements:
T.Brown
Graham
Johnstone
Dean/Socino
DVDM/Farndale
Van der Walt
Pyrgos/Fowles
Schoeman
Ford
Macallum
? (Hunter-Hill if fit)
? (Carmichael if fit)
Crosbie
Mata
Hamilton
(Subs: Marfo,Cherry,Ceccarelli,? ,Navolo, Fowles/Kennedy,Hickey,Dean/Socino)

The big worry will be in the second-row.I saw some suggestion online that neither Hunter-Hill or Carmichael were notselected for club games on Saturday. If not available presumably academy players to start-let alone the bench.Anyone know if they are fit-and if Marfo turned out for 'Muir on Saturday? I'm presuming Pyrgos and Macallum will be released as unlikely to be in the 23 for Cardiff but can't see anyone else-possibly Fife but expect him to be at least in the 23.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Re: v Zebre (Friday 7pm)

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:56 pm

I would imagine that more of the guys will be released back from this week to play, other than those that are due a rest.

It's next week that concerns me more, as I just have no idea who will play in the 2nd row as both Gilcho and BBT can expect to be in Cardiff. Carmichael is back in training apparently, but as good as he could be, I don't think he can play 4 and 5 at the same time. No sign of H-H being fit either: even if he was, then still need someone on the bench who can cover or at least allow Mata to move into the row.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:47 pm

There is a young lad called Fraser McKenzie who seemed quite good

Sutherland should be available too. not ideal but I'm sure Mata can play second row.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:09 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:There is a young lad called Fraser McKenzie who seemed quite good

Sutherland should be available too. not ideal but I'm sure Mata can play second row.

McKenzie was stretchered off v Cheetahs and looked in a lot of bother, has there been an injury update on him?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:35 pm

I think the last update on Mackenzie was around mid-January.
And if Mata plays in the second row we'll might then need another back rower for the bench (unless Ritchie is released.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Think Hunter-Hill has been with the squad as a 23/24th man, sure I saw him warming up.

If he's not available with Carmichael I'd rather Hodgson or Atkinson came in then move Mata up.

Crosbie, Hamilton, Mata is a tasty back row.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:34 pm

liveinhope wrote:I think the last update on Mackenzie was around mid-January.
And if Mata plays in the second row we'll might then need another back rower for the bench (unless Ritchie is released.)

Yes, that's my memory. Hence, not bringing him into the mix for the next few weeks.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:50 am

No senior back or second rows trained yesterday.

Mungo Mason perhaps in the mix for Zebre match.

https://theoffsideline.com/cockerill-fa ... -releases/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:38 am

The Feral Goat wrote:No senior back or second rows trained yesterday.

Mungo Mason perhaps in the mix for Zebre match.

https://theoffsideline.com/cockerill-fa ... -releases/

Luke Crosbie will be released, would be surprised if Hamilton went from not in the squad to starting Vs Wales too.

He includes H-H but not as a senior lock, how is Nayalo doing?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:03 am

What’s happened to Ceccarelli? Think we’ll be ok in the backs with VdW, Hickey, Dean, Johnstone, Socino, Brown, Farndale, VdM, Hoyland and probably Graham available. Forwards I think at a minimum we’ll get Ford, McCallum, Crosbie, Hamilton and Ritchie back, with Mata, Sutherland, Schoeman, Hunter-Hill available, but struggling at lock and TH.

So could end up with something like

Schoeman, Ford, McCallum, Hunter-Hill, Mata, Ritchie, Hamilton, Crosbie, Kennedy, VdW, VdM, Dean, Johnstone, Brown, Graham
Cherry, Sutherland, Ceccarelli, Napoleon, Miller, Fowles, Hickey, Hoyland
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:12 am

With Bradbury injured I assume Hamilton was called up but I think the only back row options are Wilson, Watson, Ritchie, Fagerson and Harley perhaps others, wont be released to play so we may not get Ritchie
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:39 am

The Feral Goat wrote:With Bradbury injured I assume Hamilton was called up but I think the only back row options are Wilson, Watson, Ritchie, Fagerson and Harley perhaps others, wont be released to play so we may not get Ritchie

Denton, Thomson, Skinner also available for the main three games.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:11 pm

biffer wrote:What’s happened to Ceccarelli? Think we’ll be ok in the backs with VdW, Hickey, Dean, Johnstone, Socino, Brown, Farndale, VdM, Hoyland and probably Graham available. Forwards I think at a minimum we’ll get Ford, McCallum, Crosbie, Hamilton and Ritchie back, with Mata, Sutherland, Schoeman, Hunter-Hill available, but struggling at lock and TH.

Schoeman, Ford, McCallum, Hunter-Hill, Mata, Ritchie, Hamilton, Crosbie, Kennedy, VdW, VdM, Dean, Johnstone, Brown, Graham

Can't think that we'd go into a game with a back row playing lock and no cover on the bench, but I've no idea where one would come from. From the article in the Offside Line, sounds more likely that Mungo Mason would be on the bench than Ally Miller.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:50 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
biffer wrote:What’s happened to Ceccarelli? Think we’ll be ok in the backs with VdW, Hickey, Dean, Johnstone, Socino, Brown, Farndale, VdM, Hoyland and probably Graham available. Forwards I think at a minimum we’ll get Ford, McCallum, Crosbie, Hamilton and Ritchie back, with Mata, Sutherland, Schoeman, Hunter-Hill available, but struggling at lock and TH.

Can't think that we'd go into a game with a back row playing lock and no cover on the bench, but I've no idea where one would come from. From the article in the Offside Line, sounds more likely that Mungo Mason would be on the bench than Ally Miller.

Yeah, second row is the big worry. Hodgson or Atkinson according to this article. Anyone seen much of them for Watsonians or Boroughmuir?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-4818289
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Crosbie, Hamilton, Mata is a tasty back row.

It is actually.

We'll probably field a decent starting front row as well, with Schoeman, Ford and McCallum.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum