Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby Tichtheid on Fri May 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:We are getting a very good player in Bhatti. Cockers is going to turn him into an absolute monster.

I agree, Sutherland needs to up his game to be in the reckoning
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun May 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Any news yet about our Marque Scrum half signing! Tbh most would be an improvement on Pyrgos.The Glasgow match just showed that Price is lightyears ahead of our man and so was the South Africa no 9 for the Saints.Glasgow showed how good the were on Friday; and tbh we are years behind them now.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 19, 2019 9:01 pm

I guess we're waiting for Nic Groom to finish his season with the Stormers before he's announced. Wonder what SHC is going to be up to next year?

Glasgow are further ahead, it'll be interesting to see how they replace Hogg as he's such a talisman. But the number of players they have stepping up is impressive. Hope they win on Saturday as that's huge for Scotland.

I do wonder who is coming in after Rennie when he goes to Australia. He's a world class coach so will work well with any team. Scotland hat on I'm glad players such as Hastings as working with him.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Sun May 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Wonder what SHC is going to be up to next year?.

Danny care will be 33 next season and SHC is already a firm 2nd choice with no international commitments. I would be surprised if sam doesn't stay on at Harlequins. They are certainly in a better place than Scarlets where he is 3rd choice.
STKS
International

Postby biffer on Mon May 20, 2019 9:59 am

STKS wrote:

Danny care will be 33 next season and SHC is already a firm 2nd choice with no international commitments. I would be surprised if sam doesn't stay on at Harlequins. They are certainly in a better place than Scarlets where he is 3rd choice.

And now that he’s got a contract he’ll do his hair, look in the mirror and freewheel until a few months before it runs out, same as he’s always done.

He’ll fit in well at Harlequins.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm

biffer wrote:
STKS wrote:

And now that he’s got a contract he’ll do his hair, look in the mirror and freewheel until a few months before it runs out, same as he’s always done.

He’ll fit in well at Harlequins.

Part of me thinks the last world cup did him more harm than good at a key stage of his development. He played very little from the end of the 14/15 season until he came back to Edinburgh and I think that hurt his development. He went from one of the brightest talents in the league at the time to not many minutes over the warm up games and the RWC (one start IIRC with sporadic sub appearances and one as an unused sub).

Not saying it was in any way a main reason he hasn't kicked on as we had hoped but definitely hurt him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm

STKS wrote:

Care signed a new 2 year deal in Jan. he'll be there for a while yet
SHC was signed to end of season as injury cover. They have one 9 injured and another on loan who was cup tied, so SHC got his chance. I don't remember seeing him getting a further contract, if he gets one I think Biffer has it nailed. He wasn't getting near a poor Scarlets squad for a reason
Last edited by joe soap on Mon May 20, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon May 20, 2019 1:30 pm

BigD163 wrote:Part of me thinks the last world cup did him more harm than good at a key stage of his development. He played very little from the end of the 14/15 season until he came back to Edinburgh and I think that hurt his development. He went from one of the brightest talents in the league at the time to not many minutes over the warm up games and the RWC (one start IIRC with sporadic sub appearances and one as an unused sub).

Not saying it was in any way a main reason he hasn't kicked on as we had hoped but definitely hurt him.

this was all part of the problem - he isn't as good as he thinks and he seems to think he deserves to be picked. And he doesn't seem to learn. Wouldn't have him near any squad of mine
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Wed May 22, 2019 11:08 am

Eroni Sau in Fiji's training squad for RWC:

https://www.fijirugby.com/latest-news/2 ... ipU1BMHnqM

I have no idea whether he is in line to make the final squad, but there is only 38 picked at this stage and with 12 front rowers picked at least 3 of the drop outs will come in that area.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 am

"Attack Coach Duncan Hodge and Defence Coach Calum MacRae have today extended their contracts with the club for a further two seasons."

http://edinburghrugby.org/news/19/05/24 ... pital-stay
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri May 24, 2019 2:18 pm

Frenchy wrote:"Attack Coach Duncan Hodge and Defence Coach Calum MacRae have today extended their contracts with the club for a further two seasons."

I'm done.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Fri May 24, 2019 3:25 pm

Hodge for two more AlainRolland years? That's a real punch in the nuts. I'll be giving serious thought to bumping my season ticket after this.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri May 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Tinfoil hat time but the SRU might not want Cockers to chose his coaches when he's been publically linked to other jobs.

For all of Hodge's flaws it's worth remembering Kinghorn, Graham, VdM, Dean and JJ have individually improved but the systems. Yikes.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri May 24, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm just going to stop blaming Hodge (still I find it tough to swallow "the club is in a strong position"?! :eek: ) because Cockerill has made his choices. He is responsible for it and he will win or lose with Hodge.
I personnally think it's a mistake but that's just my opinion.
We will see next year if Cockerill has made the right call.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon May 27, 2019 9:27 am

Frenchy wrote:"Attack Coach Duncan Hodge and Defence Coach Calum MacRae have today extended their contracts with the club for a further two seasons."

Good luck to him, hopefully he does well enough to get a new deal after that.

Think McCrae probably deserved a new deal after last season but this season the defence took a step back. Shipped 61 more points and 15 more tries than the previous year. Combined with 63 fewer points and 10 fewer tries it is no surprise that we missed any sort of play off.
Last edited by BigD163 on Mon May 27, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum