Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby royc on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Wottie wrote: Hamilton has been far from a luxury, he has been absolutely essential for us this season. I would definitely keep him. Furthermore, I would expect the squad to be flexed up a bit with a few more one year deals generally, but specifically in the back row, to cover the RWC season.

Hamilton has been a valuable addition for sure. Squad budget and balance come into the picture too though, money spent in one position is money not available for another position that needs strengthening.

We are actually ridiculously strong in the back row really, with 3 nailed-on internationals in Watson, Mata and Ritchie, a 4th when Barclay gets back, a 5th, 6th and 7th when Toonie's next cab out of the rank departs with Bradbury, Hamilton or Crosbie on board (all of whom would I think be ahead of Harley at 6). I doubt the club can afford to keep them all as well as renew Watson's contract. Perhaps something has to give.

Replacing one back-row with a couple of younger guys would be good for cover in the international windows, when a lot of the first and second choices will be away, and also good for balancing the budget.

Two of the younger ones who could be in the frame are Archie Erskine at blindside, after his season at Stade Nicois, and maybe Miller as backup 7 (given that Watson and Ritchie will be away for much of the season). The unknown is Nayalo, going by his height and 7s background, I'd think he was maybe signed as a backup 7 but would need to shed some kilos to fit that role (may be one reason he has not really featured yet, unless he's injured). Rory Darge and Connor Boyle from the Academy are the future at 7, but they're just going 19 and it's too soon for a pro contract.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:24 am

There's a clip on the official site with Henry Pyrgos doing some PR, and I have to say he has been great for us this season - after a couple of weeks of not really shining he has become the focal point for our entire game.

Anyways, he mentions Charlie Shiel and talks about his pass and his breaking ability, more and more I get the feeling that Shiel is being treated almost like some old school prize fighter, they won't let him in the ring until they feel he is ready and it's the right opponent, almost like he is being groomed for something very special.

I hope that is the case and not me just looking for the most optimistic interpretation of his not playing bar that one cameo against Kings a few weeks ago.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 am

royc wrote:
Wottie wrote: Hamilton has been far from a luxury, he has been absolutely essential for us this season. I would definitely keep him. Furthermore, I would expect the squad to be flexed up a bit with a few more one year deals generally, but specifically in the back row, to cover the RWC season.

Hamilton has been a valuable addition for sure. Squad budget and balance come into the picture too though, money spent in one position is money not available for another position that needs strengthening.

We are actually ridiculously strong in the back row really, with 3 nailed-on internationals in Watson, Mata and Ritchie, a 4th when Barclay gets back, a 5th, 6th and 7th when Toonie's next cab out of the rank departs with Bradbury, Hamilton or Crosbie on board (all of whom would I think be ahead of Harley at 6). I doubt the club can afford to keep them all as well as renew Watson's contract. Perhaps something has to give.

Replacing one back-row with a couple of younger guys would be good for cover in the international windows, when a lot of the first and second choices will be away, and also good for balancing the budget.

Two of the younger ones who could be in the frame are Archie Erskine at blindside, after his season at Stade Nicois, and maybe Miller as backup 7 (given that Watson and Ritchie will be away for much of the season). The unknown is Nayalo, going by his height and 7s background, I'd think he was maybe signed as a backup 7 but would need to shed some kilos to fit that role (may be one reason he has not really featured yet, unless he's injured). Rory Darge and Connor Boyle from the Academy are the future at 7, but they're just going 19 and it's too soon for a pro contract.

Barclay will have a fair old battle to make the RWC squad. One he can win but will be tough. He will be 33 at the start of the world cup and will have at most 7-8 Edinburgh games and 4 warm ups to prove he is fit and able to make the RWC squad recovering from a pretty serious injury.

The last world cup squad had 5 back rowers in it, 6 after call ups. If GT takes 5 + Skinner there may not be a place for Barclay with Watson, Wilson, Ritchie, Strauss, Thomson, Ashe, Fagerson and Bradbury (in no order) competing for spots.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:21 am

BigD163 wrote:
royc wrote:

Barclay will have a fair old battle to make the RWC squad. One he can win but will be tough. He will be 33 at the start of the world cup and will have at most 7-8 Edinburgh games and 4 warm ups to prove he is fit and able to make the RWC squad recovering from a pretty serious injury.

The last world cup squad had 5 back rowers in it, 6 after call ups. If GT takes 5 + Skinner there may not be a place for Barclay with Watson, Wilson, Ritchie, Strauss, Thomson, Ashe, Fagerson and Bradbury (in no order) competing for spots.

Got to think that Watson, Wilson, Ritchie are nailed on along with Skinner assuming they are all fit. so two other back row spots available. Both probably 6/8 given Ritchie can cover 7. Also add to your list competing for those two spots are Crosbie, Graham, Hardie, Hamilton.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:32 am

biffer wrote:Got to think that Watson, Wilson, Ritchie are nailed on along with Skinner assuming they are all fit. so two other back row spots available. Both probably 6/8 given Ritchie can cover 7. Also add to your list competing for those two spots are Crosbie, Graham, Hardie, Hamilton.

I keep thinking people are suggesting playing Darcy Graham in the back row.

Not that I'm opposed, of course.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:38 am

biffer wrote:Got to think that Watson, Wilson, Ritchie are nailed on along with Skinner assuming they are all fit. so two other back row spots available. Both probably 6/8 given Ritchie can cover 7. Also add to your list competing for those two spots are Crosbie, Graham, Hardie, Hamilton.

I agree the 1st 3 are nailed on. If it is Skinner + 2 more then Barclay will still have a chance as he can play 8 to a very reasonable standard.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:45 pm

BigD163 wrote:

I agree the 1st 3 are nailed on. If it is Skinner + 2 more then Barclay will still have a chance as he can play 8 to a very reasonable standard.

Yeah, Barclays ability to play 6, 7 or 8 works in his favour
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:49 pm

I don't see Barclay sticking around too long. I think it's important we keep Hamilton as he's been an absolute beast since joining.

Is Watson confirmed back?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I don't see Barclay sticking around too long. I think it's important we keep Hamilton as he's been an absolute beast since joining.

Is Watson confirmed back?

Agreed. We may get a season out of Barclay before he starts his career as a defence coach. Need to keep Hamilton.

Boyle and Darge are both exceptional - there aren't many players who come straight out of school to captain the u20s. They are already training with the squad - I think they will be ready to replace Miller and Nayolo next season and a lot more.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Allan Dell confirmed in a BBC interview that he was offered a move to Glasgow, but turned it down. Unclear whether he was offered a contract to stay at Edinburgh.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:12 am

New Gunner wrote:Allan Dell confirmed in a BBC interview that he was offered a move to Glasgow, but turned it down. Unclear whether he was offered a contract to stay at Edinburgh.

I suspect ER have decided they need to invest the front row budget in keeping Nel and Bergs on the other side given we have Shoeman, Sutherland (newly extended contract), McCallumn, and dare I say it, Marfo, on the loose side. As a starter for Scotland just now I'm sure he will be a nailed on starter at Irish and will have a much better deal given the cash they are throwing about. Kebble seems to be getting rave reviews through in the west and Bhatti back to full fitness so I can see why he is heading south. He will be missed and has been a great signing and has given us some great moments rampaging in open play. We have not had many British & Irish Lions at Edinburgh!! :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Taylor, Baggott and Stanley all 1 year deals
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:31 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Taylor, Baggott and Stanley all 1 year deals

As expected on Taylor and Baggott. Good news that they are clearly on track in the eyes of the coaching team. Don't know anything about Stanley but always good to see a young TH coming through the ranks!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:38 pm

We are likley to need a bigger squad to get through the RWC so good to have these guys and they will have the chance to earn another deal at some point.

Good luck to them.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:We are likley to need a bigger squad to get through the RWC so good to have these guys and they will have the chance to earn another deal at some point.

Good luck to them.

It must be getting close to next season or never for Baggott. By the end of next season he will be 2 months shy of 25 so really should be making some sort of break through if he is going to make one, or at the very least the coaches feel like they may want to use him.

Jaco VdW was starting regularly at 24, Hastings and Thomson art Glasgow are both younger, if he is going to make a break through it has to happen over the next 14-15 months or we probably need to move on.

Jaco qualifies for Scotland in the autumn of 2020, so there is a chance he will miss Edinburgh games because of Scotland duty as he will need to play 15s or 7s before the end of 2020 or would need to wait an additional 2 years. A 3rd 10 who coaches are at least happy to throw in would be handy.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum