Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby Wottie on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 am

Really good episode of the Rugby Dungeon with Matt Scott

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/t ... 0434631243
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:49 am

Wottie wrote:
.... me too. He was wearing an Edinburgh hoodie!

Strange... I'm sure I saw him hitchhiking at Knutsford services yesterday, holding a placard with "Edinburgh or bust" scrawled on it.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:20 pm

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/it-will- ... ssion=true

Good read if you haven't seen it. Looking forward to seeing how he does over here.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:14 am

So who will we lose for the world cup and how will that affect the squad for the first games of next season?

I'm guessing both Berghan and Nel along with McInally in the front row. Bhatti probably has a reasonable chance also with one or both of Gilchrist and Toolis from the second row. The back row could lose Barclay, Watson, Ritchie and Bradbury but in terms of backs I think barring injuries to others we will only lose Graham and Kinghorn. Mata will also be off with Fiji and Ceccarelli a potential longshot for Italy.

So assuming worst case scenario we could be looking at:

Schoeman, Cherry, McCallum, McKenzie, Hunter-Hill, Carmichael, Crosbie, Haining, Pyrgos, VDW, A Fijian, Scott, Bennett, VDM, Fife?

Sutherland, Willemse, Stanley, Hodgson, Douglas, Shiel, Hickey, Dean.

With Ceccarelli unlucky to go I'm sure he'd start with McCallum on to the bench and we have a new SH to come into the equation as well.

Fullback could be a concern as could the back row with an injury or two though we have lots of decent young lads who could step in like Erskine or Boyle. The rest of the backs outside of FB look nigh on full strength with the addition of the two Fijians and Dean and Johnstone as likely to start as Scott or Bennett.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Promising scrum half Jamie Dobie whose captain of the under18s and likely to go to the JWRC going to Glasgow on a pro deal.

Can't help thinking we're missing a trick not signing him.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:23 pm

Falcons position now looking perilous. I wonder if Chris Harris has a relegation release clause in his 2 year contract that he signed back in February? Interesting that Hoyland is the sole contract expiry at the end of this season that has not been confirmed as either staying or going. I'm not linking the two.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:32 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Promising scrum half Jamie Dobie whose captain of the under18s and likely to go to the JWRC going to Glasgow on a pro deal.

I think for his own development going to Glasgow makes sense.

Glasgow have two SH's that will likely be involved with Scotland next year, we don't. If we get Groom (as per all the rumours) then we will have two SHs who are available all year round, as well as a young(ish) player in Shiel who isn't getting much of a look in with us. Plus Cockers doesn't rotate if he doesn't have to, so there is even less chance of Dobie getting as much as a bench spot with us.

It would be nice if we were to bring the like of Dobie in and think he could get a shot in our team, but as things stand it won't happen for him here.
EWT spoons
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:26 pm

EWT spoons wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Promising scrum half Jamie Dobie whose captain of the under18s and likely to go to the JWRC going to Glasgow on a pro deal.

Glasgow have two SH's that will likely be involved with Scotland next year, we don't. If we get Groom (as per all the rumours) then we will have two SHs who are available all year round, as well as a young(ish) player in Shiel who isn't getting much of a look in with us. Plus Cockers doesn't rotate if he doesn't have to, so there is even less chance of Dobie getting as much as a bench spot with us.

It would be nice if we were to bring the like of Dobie in and think he could get a shot in our team, but as things stand it won't happen for him here.

Very true but it's short term thinking - Dobie is extremely highly rated by those who watch him regularly, we'll see if he goes with the under20s this year but if he does he follows JGray, Hutchinson, Kinghorn and Ritchie at least who have gone early and turned out class, class acts.

In 2-3 years we'll see with Shiel but Pyrgos and Groom are Pyrgos and Groom. Glasgow have Frisby who looks very good indeed when Price and Horne are away. But you're right it makes more sense Dobie goes there for gametime next season.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
EWT spoons wrote:

Very true but it's short term thinking - Dobie is extremely highly rated by those who watch him regularly, we'll see if he goes with the under20s this year but if he does he follows JGray, Hutchinson, Kinghorn and Ritchie at least who have gone early and turned out class, class acts.

In 2-3 years we'll see with Shiel but Pyrgos and Groom are Pyrgos and Groom. Glasgow have Frisby who looks very good indeed when Price and Horne are away. But you're right it makes more sense Dobie goes there for gametime next season.

I watched some of the U18 games on Premier Sports over the past week or so. Dobie has an absolute rifle of a pass, seemingly as good off either hand. Shiel's pass looks quick, but Dobie looks even sharper. He has a distinctive arm action that I've not quite worked out. I hope that they don't try to coach that out of him so he conforms to the cookie-cutter styling. His box kicking is poor and needs work. He plays "heads up", spotting opportunities when they arise for the most part though. Seeing him going head-to-head with Shiel in the future is something that I'm really looking forward to.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:38 am

Does seem a shame for him to go to Glasgow. At scrum half we have Pyrgos and Shiel with a SH import en route and just Frostwick on a stage 3 as I think it's been reported Davis has gone back to South Africa. Glasgow have Horne, Price and Frisby with Barreto on a stage 3. I guess that splits our better prospects 2 and 2 though Dobie seems the highest rated of the lot.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:04 am

Do we know if we tried?

To be honest, Glasgow probably play a style that most young exciting players want to play. The thought of passing to a forward on repeat followed by a box kick with the odd wide pass probably doesn't excite him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:10 am

BigD163 wrote:

Do we know if we tried?

To be honest, Glasgow probably play a style that most young exciting players want to play. The thought of passing to a forward on repeat followed by a box kick with the odd wide pass probably doesn't excite him.

Alex Shaw who is the best journalist for age grade said Glasgow offered pro deal we offered an academy deal.

It's the chicken and the egg though, with players like Dobie who as bignose says seems more a fast, flat pass and make a break kind of guy we can become a more expansive side. I think Hickey as a signing does show Cockers at least planned an expansive game but it didn't work.

I think the immediate opportunities with Glasgow are better and the gameplan is more exciting however it's a shame to see talented kids like Dobie who are Edinburgh lads leave for Glasgow.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:03 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:

Do we know if we tried?

Alex Shaw who is the best journalist for age grade said Glasgow offered pro deal we offered an academy deal.

It's the chicken and the egg though, with players like Dobie who as bignose says seems more a fast, flat pass and make a break kind of guy we can become a more expansive side. I think Hickey as a signing does show Cockers at least planned an expansive game but it didn't work.

I think the immediate opportunities with Glasgow are better and the gameplan is more exciting however it's a shame to see talented kids like Dobie who are Edinburgh lads leave for Glasgow.

We really need to take a bit more of a chance on young guys with talent and offer full pro terms. Did it with Ritchie and Kinghorn and it worked. I think losing a player, a potential top player for a few k when is short sighted.

if you are a young player in a position and you see another highly thought of youngster in your position getting very little game time in the big scheme of things and the coaching staff have never really shown a willingness to play consistently more attacking rugby I think at 18 there is only one choice.

I think RC is doing a good job but the game plan has to evolve other wise our highly paid, experienced forward pack will be on the down swing when the backs/attacking play catches up.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Will we ever learn? Reminds me of when we turned down Finn Russell because we wanted someone with more of a kicking game. We signed Carl Bezuidenhuit instead. I'm sure he was better for a 9 month period or so but v short sighted.

Frustrating because it shows we're not learning. We seem happy to just let Glasgow just hoover up all the best young backline talent.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Sorry but your Finn Russell story is a just nonsense. He has been at Glasgow for nearly 2 years when we signed Carl.

I'm not sure which 9 month period you watched Carl for but he certainly wasn't good for Edinburgh.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum