Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby joe soap on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Bad captaincy cost the game for sure, you'd have thought with McKenzie back we'd have a leader that meant that wouldn't happen. But he should have gone for the posts, also when the Kings had a final final warning at the scrum he went to the corner. The maul was also terrible. McKenzie not long back and the referees decisions were hard but still. He also needs to improve and drive standards better than he was Saturday.

Do you think McKenzie did that in isolation, or do you maybe think they actually cover in training what they will do with kickable pens? And just maybe when you fail with a couple, a kicking tee might appear as if by magic to pre-empt the captain's decision, as it did earlier this season?
Cockerill rightly been getting loads of praise, has to be accountable for this as well. It was arrogance, old style Edinburgh. I'm angry.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:12 pm

I'm not sure it was arrogance, we'd battered them a few weeks ago and had the game put to bed after 10 minutes.

The coaching team had obviously identified their pack as being their weakness and we went after it straight from the word go. Even after making a total pig's ear of the game and playing butter fingered rugby we still looked on for a bonus point victory with 15 minutes to go. We were two tries to one up at that point and then Ross Ford went in for the third. We were battering them, we were the much better team suffering from white line fever, struggling to convert a ridiculous amount of possession into points, but were getting there slowly.

Hindsight is a wonderful but misleading thing, it's easy to say we should have taken points in values of three, but you can't then say we would have had the next kick at goal because you're starting again from back in your own half - the kick off could have bounced off someone's head and into a Kings' player's hand who ghosts in for the try - that's just as possible as us winning that game from taking a more pragmatic approach.

The only thing we can talk about is what actually happened, not guess at what might have been.

Oh and I don't recall it being mentioned yet, JvdW has been really good in recent weeks, but it he ever lines up a kick to touch again, someone get Roddy on to taser him before he can sclaff it off the outside of his boot again.
How can you miss a 100m wide goal?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:31 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Bad captaincy cost the game for sure, you'd have thought with McKenzie back we'd have a leader that meant that wouldn't happen. But he should have gone for the posts, also when the Kings had a final final warning at the scrum he went to the corner. The maul was also terrible. McKenzie not long back and the referees decisions were hard but still. He also needs to improve and drive standards better than he was Saturday.

Do you think McKenzie did that in isolation, or do you maybe think they actually cover in training what they will do with kickable pens? And just maybe when you fail with a couple, a kicking tee might appear as if by magic to pre-empt the captain's decision, as it did earlier this season?
Cockerill rightly been getting loads of praise, has to be accountable for this as well. It was arrogance, old style Edinburgh. I'm angry.

I did blame Cockers too.

Don't think he told McKenzie to go for the lineout when the scrum had the Kings on a final final warning.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
joe soap wrote:

I did blame Cockers too.

Don't think he told McKenzie to go for the lineout when the scrum had the Kings on a final final warning.

To be fair, they still had the final final final warning to come.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I did blame Cockers too.

He didn't send the kicking tee on as he has in at least one previous game. Or get a message on via 'water boys'
That kick to the corner was using wrong as well.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:06 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:I did blame Cockers too.

He didn't send the kicking tee on as he has in at least one previous game. Or get a message on via 'water boys'
That kick to the corner was using wrong as well.

My guess is Cockers thought we'd scrum until we got the penalty try.

I am in agreement that we should kick penalties more than we do.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm

biffer wrote:To be fair, they still had the final final final warning to come.

Was that the one that would have left him with no other option, or was that the previous three?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:59 pm

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:To be fair, they still had the final final final warning to come.

Was that the one that would have left him with no other option, or was that the previous three?

I did mention that it was difficult with the ref but I don't understand the decision not to scrum again.

Maybe worried about Mata making a mistake with when to pick up the ball.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:33 am

Sutherland - 1 year deal through to 2020
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Ally Miller off to the Sevens for the Sydney round.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Good news on Sutherland, re Miller, I wonder if that means one of our backrows (ie Bradbury) will be available for the Dragons game?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:09 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Good news on Sutherland, re Miller, I wonder if that means one of our backrows (ie Bradbury) will be available for the Dragons game?

Should have Bradbury and Hamilton back for Dragons. Still need a 7 however so wonder if Miller is just joining for one leg of the sevens on the league break weekend. He certainly showed some gas to tap tackle the Fijian, causing the forward pass that was ignored, at the end of the Kings game!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:28 pm

Crosbie can play 7 and would expect him back from Scotland camp.

A Bradbury, Crosbie, Mata backrow would be big and abrasive
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:02 pm

I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole game again but I've just watched the highlights. After Chris Dean scores the camera cuts to the Embra bench and Matt Scott is sitting there kitted out, not in a game shirt, just a club training T shirt, but hopefully that is a good sign.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Wottie wrote:
Still need a 7 however so wonder if Miller is just joining for one leg of the sevens on the league break weekend.

Press release only refers to Miller joining for Sydney. Apparently flew there straight from RSA - a geography 7 !
The Chiel
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum