Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby The Nudger on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Got to agree on Baggott, I've only seen him play the once for Melrose and I thought he looked decent but nothing special. Don't really see what if he brings to the squad TBH. Can't help feeling that at his age if he was going to make it as a pro he would have done so by now.

Not too excited by the Taylor re-signing either if I'm honest, seen a bit of him now and being brutally harsh don't see him making it as a pro. He might come on with game time but from what I've seen so far the basic ingredients aren't there. Would be delighted to be wrong though!
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Pleased for the three guys, good luck to them. The coaches will have had a good look at them over the season and must think they are ready to step up to the team if called upon, that is good enough for me. It is up to the coaches to develop them and get the best out of them, so time will tell.

The young entrants usually need about a season to get up to speed, barring a very few prodigies like Graham and McCallum who come gift-wrapped and ready to roll. Next season will likely be make or break for the new guys' pro careers.

That said, not everyone coming up from the Academy or in from elsewhere needs to be a potential superstar, a third of the squad are back-up players, third or fourth in line in their position, basically good club players who can step up to the bench or team when injuries or internationals leave us short-handed (as now). We are no different from other Pro clubs in this respect, just have to hope that our back-ups are better than theirs!
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 pm

royc wrote:Pleased for the three guys, good luck to them. The coaches will have had a good look at them over the season and must think they are ready to step up to the team if called upon, that is good enough for me. It is up to the coaches to develop them and get the best out of them, so time will tell.

The young entrants usually need about a season to get up to speed, barring a very few prodigies like Graham and McCallum who come gift-wrapped and ready to roll. Next season will likely be make or break for the new guys' pro careers.

That said, not everyone coming up from the Academy or in from elsewhere needs to be a potential superstar, a third of the squad are back-up players, third or fourth in line in their position, basically good club players who can step up to the bench or team when injuries or internationals leave us short-handed (as now). We are no different from other Pro clubs in this respect, just have to hope that our back-ups are better than theirs!

Bonkers to think these guys are ages with Jamie Ritchie as well given how long he seems to have been around!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:03 am

The Feral Goat wrote:
Bonkers to think these guys are ages with Jamie Ritchie as well given how long he seems to have been around!

Some guys are precocious, we are very lucky to have a handful of them in Graham, Ritchie, Kinghorn, Bradbury, Crosbie, CHH, McCallum, I'm not sure why Shiel hasn't had more time, he looked exactly what we need when he did get a chance

I can't help but feel we have lost out big time in McLelland moving back to league, he looked terrific in the U20s in France
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:56 am

Finlay Christie did an interview in NZ talking about NZ/Scotland and his next move.

I would imagine the SRU will have a look at him and he wouldn't be a bad shout to replace Fowles and Kennedy.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Yes please in spades! I actually thought Fowles played reasonably well by his own low standards last night. Really snowed how desperately we need another quality 9. Think Christie really could help us reach another level.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:53 am

There was also talk of us maybe getting Nic Groom from Lions, apparently a decent scrum half though I haven't seen him play.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Mata extends to 2021 :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:41 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Mata extends to 2021 :)

That's made my day. :)
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:34 pm

I suppose that's okay news

:D
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:43 pm

BigD163 wrote:Finlay Christie did an interview in NZ talking about NZ/Scotland and his next move.

I would imagine the SRU will have a look at him and he wouldn't be a bad shout to replace Fowles and Kennedy.

Contracted til 2021 though
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:45 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Mata extends to 2021 :)

Superb. Was pretty confident something was already signed and sealed when Cockers recently made his comments that Mata would be here for a long time.

Edinburgh seriously punching here...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:46 pm

What a fantastic arrow to have in your quiver when trying to persuade players to come and join Edinburgh. Great news and a sign of real ambition by the club and the SRU. Just hope we can put another one in there by qualifying for the Champions Cup again next season (and don't have to win the thing to do so!!).
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:03 pm

Wottie wrote:What a fantastic arrow to have in your quiver when trying to persuade players to come and join Edinburgh. Great news and a sign of real ambition by the club and the SRU. Just hope we can put another one in there by qualifying for the Champions Cup again next season (and don't have to win the thing to do so!!).

This is how I'm thinking, there must be some other incentive other than just an increase in wages, there must be other players coming in.

I hope.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Charlie Shiel off to the 7s, albeit I think only for the Las Vegas leg at this stage.
If he gets a few rounds under his belt and comes back even as 3/4 the player George Horne came back as, it will be short term loss and long term gain.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum