Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby BigD163 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 am

Hunter Hill off to Saracens on loan.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Croft_No.6 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:43 am

That will be a great environment for him I expect.
Croft_No.6
International

Postby biffer on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 am

BigD163 wrote:Hunter Hill off to Saracens on loan.

Slightly odd one imo. I was looking at the next few months as an opportunity for him to push his way forward as next in line behind Toolis and Gilchrist.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:59 am

It is a bit odd, particularly given we brought in Murray Douglas. Unless Sarries are payIsn’t us a lump of cash for him?
He didn’t play vs LS did he? Hope there hadn’t been a falling out, he has huge potential.

Having said that I like the look of Atkinson and Hodgeson (although I’m never sure which is which so it might just be one of them I rate!)
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:04 am

biffer wrote:
BigD163 wrote:Hunter Hill off to Saracens on loan.

Slightly odd one imo. I was looking at the next few months as an opportunity for him to push his way forward as next in line behind Toolis and Gilchrist.

Agree on both it being a good opportunity for him and a bit odd for ER.

He played well last season, despite being young looked to be vocal and provide a bit of leadership on the pitch. As Biffer notes during RWC i would have expected CHH, Carmichael and McKenzie to be our key 2nd rows unless others are showing up really well in training.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 am

I think it may be a longer term view. He is still young and this will be a good experience for him. With Carmichael, Douglas (WC cover), MacKenzie, Atkinson, Hodgson and Thomson available during the WC and then Toolis and GG due back in November there is cover.

Yes CHH would have been near the front of the queue but it may be more beneficial going to one of the premier European teams and seeing how they train etc. They have some top class second rows and so long as this is only a 1 season thing and not a sign he is headed for the exit we may reap the rewards next year.

Not saying I agree with it though.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:21 am

BigD163 wrote:I think it may be a longer term view. He is still young and this will be a good experience for him. With Carmichael, Douglas (WC cover), MacKenzie, Atkinson, Hodgson and Thomson available during the WC and then Toolis and GG due back in November there is cover.

Yes CHH would have been near the front of the queue but it may be more beneficial going to one of the premier European teams and seeing how they train etc. They have some top class second rows and so long as this is only a 1 season thing and not a sign he is headed for the exit we may reap the rewards next year.

Not saying I agree with it though.

Think Atkinson has gone - he's not academy listed anymore.

This is weird, unless he plays for Sarries in the premiership I don't see the point.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:It is a bit odd, particularly given we brought in Murray Douglas. Unless Sarries are payIsn’t us a lump of cash for him?
He didn’t play vs LS did he? Hope there hadn’t been a falling out, he has huge potential.

Having said that I like the look of Atkinson and Hodgeson (although I’m never sure which is which so it might just be one of them I rate!)

has to be something behind this surely? CHH was easily the pick of the younger locks last season and provided some much needed leadership - lacking in the others and senior players.
Signed Douglas and yesterday Thomson - either something behind it (fall out, discipline issue on or off park or personal circumstances)- or Cockerill is a total idiot
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:55 pm

just picked up that CHH's loan is season long. He'll be behind Kruis, Itoje, Skelton, competing after that with Kpoku (Joel), with another Kpoku and another couple of locks in their own academy. And Rhodes often fulfils the match day 3rd lock position.

So he will experience a different environment, probably get some A team games. But no more than he could/should have got here, at a higher level.
Year long loans usually do not return
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:09 pm

On the one hand they must be confident of Carmichael's fitness, on the other it does seem strange to bring in a couple of guys who are, err, not proven at this level and offload one of the most promising locks in Scotland.

This is quite disappointing.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:10 pm

joe soap wrote:just picked up that CHH's loan is season long. He'll be behind Kruis, Itoje, Skelton, competing after that with Kpoku (Joel), with another Kpoku and another couple of locks in their own academy. And Rhodes often fulfils the match day 3rd lock position.

So he will experience a different environment, probably get some A team games. But no more than he could/should have got here, at a higher level.

Nick Isiekwe too. You'd think Kruis and Itoje are away most of the year so there's a chance he gets some minutes but there's as much a chance with GG Toolis away with Scotland and rest protocols.

Saracens said an academy loan and seemed to suggest he's there for the A team league as much as anything.

Doesn't really make sense for anyone except Sarries A team.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:23 pm

I would guess prem A league is a fair bit higher standard than S6 will be or prem. If he gets good game time at a higher level than he would staying it must be a benefit.

Would assume loan could be recalled as well if we needed him back so long as there is no falling out etc behind the scenes.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
joe soap wrote:just picked up that CHH's loan is season long. He'll be behind Kruis, Itoje, Skelton, competing after that with Kpoku (Joel), with another Kpoku and another couple of locks in their own academy. And Rhodes often fulfils the match day 3rd lock position.

Nick Isiekwe too. You'd think Kruis and Itoje are away most of the year so there's a chance he gets some minutes but there's as much a chance with GG Toolis away with Scotland and rest protocols.

Saracens said an academy loan and seemed to suggest he's there for the A team league as much as anything.

Absolutely don't get the reasoning behind this loan at all. RWC cover and some cash, still wouldn't agree but would at least be developmental for game time in the GP. Full season loan behind those named above - I rate CHH but he's not going to do anything but bench occasionally after the RWC. Have to conclude there's a problem somewhere on or off the field - hope I'm wrong.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:49 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

my bad FKL, meant to include Isiekwe (meant to) who is an excellent player.

Cockerill singing the praises of CHH's ability and potential has a rather hollow ring to be frank about it.
he has wanted to shift him, and Sarries have spotted CHH (they regularly scout for talent at our (and Welsh) pro teams, academies and age grades.
I doubt he will be back and if he hacks it with Sarries Cockerill has some explaining to do
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:44 am

The Feral Goat wrote:I would guess prem A league is a fair bit higher standard than S6 will be or prem. If he gets good game time at a higher level than he would staying it must be a benefit.

Would assume loan could be recalled as well if we needed him back so long as there is no falling out etc behind the scenes.

A league in England will be a better standard than super 6 no doubt. But, it's not a better standard than the Pro14. In the six nations we'll have (injuries notwithstanding) McKenzie, Thomson, Hodgson, Carmichael with maybe Toolis and GG. That with hopefully some rotation in the Challenge Cup rather than Toolis and GG after a long season thrashing it out in Coventry.

There was more than enough gametime at a good level to be had here. Cockers clearly doesn't fancy him.
Last edited by Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum