Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 am

The Feral Goat wrote:https://twitter.com/MarkPalmerST/status/1064204324220342272?s=19

Not sure how to get twitter link to work... but interesting article in yesterday's ST re the c50 players OOC across the pro teams plus a chief exec and head coach to fill / renew.

With around 90 players on the books in Scotland and most of them being on 2 year contracts, this is going to be a potential issue every season.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:22 am

The Feral Goat wrote:https://twitter.com/MarkPalmerST/status/1064204324220342272?s=19

Not sure how to get twitter link to work... but interesting article in yesterday's ST re the c50 players OOC across the pro teams plus a chief exec and head coach to fill / renew.

The SRU seem to have a contracting system where most of our players are OOC one year and most of Glasgow's the next! It's bizarre.

I think Glasgow are in a mess though, Rennie's future up in the air and the best players leaving...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

The SRU seem to have a contracting system where most of our players are OOC one year and most of Glasgow's the next! It's bizarre.

I think Glasgow are in a mess though, Rennie's future up in the air and the best players leaving...

There's some crazy paranoia and other stuff over on the Glasgow website

'The SRU are going to shut us down'

'This exodus has a lot to do with the capacity issue. Were Glasgow regularly playing in front of 20k, yes, some players would leave, but not nearly as many.'
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Not sure Glasgow are in any different a position to the one we were a couple of seasons ago was it when hodge was in charge and we had Nel, Gilchrist and a load of other big names ooc, head coach to be announced etc.

Last year of an RWC cycle we tend to see a lot of player movement particularly of those that are unlikely to feature in another WC so a number of all blacks etc tend to try new countries.

Think ER may see a number of our better older players move on as well over the next two seasons.

Edit: huw Jones reportedly turning down £230k from Glasgow. Been good for Scotland but that feels a lot of cash for what he has contributed to Glasgow so far.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:03 pm

Article in Hootsmon about Stafford McDowell as a dark horse for RWC - sounds like the Weegie PR machine getting ready for Jones departure by 'bigging' up McDowell as obvious replacement. To be fair I have only seen him a couple of times but he does look the real deal and could be a real star in the making. I think he might help heal the pain of Jones moving on.

Bit disappointed that Jones hasn't seen the need to be loyal to the club who gave him his big break and looked after him following injury, another season might have been a decent payback? Not sure going to Leicester is an ideal fit for Jones either but I suppose if they offer the biggest wedge ...

The Weegies need a big signing to cover for the Hogg, Jones and Big Brian departures though to keep supporters happy.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:51 pm

doedin wrote:Article in Hootsmon about Stafford McDowell as a dark horse for RWC - sounds like the Weegie PR machine getting ready for Jones departure by 'bigging' up McDowell as obvious replacement. To be fair I have only seen him a couple of times but he does look the real deal and could be a real star in the making. I think he might help heal the pain of Jones moving on.

Bit disappointed that Jones hasn't seen the need to be loyal to the club who gave him his big break and looked after him following injury, another season might have been a decent payback? Not sure going to Leicester is an ideal fit for Jones either but I suppose if they offer the biggest wedge ...

The Weegies need a big signing to cover for the Hogg, Jones and Big Brian departures though to keep supporters happy.

The Stormers/WP were who gave Jones his big break! He arrived at Glasgow a known star in the making.

I agree about MacDowell - 6'4, athletic, fast, good skills. Scotland just don't produce centres like that usually! A Dumfries boy who went to Merchiston... How did he end up there?!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
I agree about MacDowell - 6'4, athletic, fast, good skills. Scotland just don't produce centres like that usually! A Dumfries boy who went to Merchiston... How did he end up there?!

Placed there by the SRU, I imagine, though they'd never get credit for doing so.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote: A Dumfries boy who went to Merchiston... How did he end up there?!

same way Bradbury, a boy from Oban did. Scholarship
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote: A Dumfries boy who went to Merchiston... How did he end up there?!

I assumed the "there" was Glasgow :?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:21 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
joe soap wrote:

I assumed the "there" was Glasgow :?

It was Glasgow, my bad for not being clear.

Borders and then Edinburgh school and ends up in Glasgow...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:25 am

Hopefully it was because they saw a better opportunity in Glasgow. It's daft if players are automatically linked to a pro club due to geography over opportunity. You could end up with a surplus of particular talent in one whilst a paucity in the other.
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 am

Dumfries is in the Borders rather than Caledonia?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby gone south on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:40 am

Frenchy wrote:Dumfries is in the Borders rather than Caledonia?

Dumfries is in the West region.
gone south
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:35 am

Positives sounds in general from Cockerill on next seasons squad

https://theoffsideline.com/richard-cock ... -signings/

Injury updates

Stand-off Jaco van der Walt is expected to be fit and available for selection when the team is named on Friday. However, Matt Scott (concussion), Lewis Carmichael (concussion) and Luke Crosbie (broken jaw) will not be available this week but are targeting Edinburgh’s European double-header against Newcastle Falcons at the start of December.

Magnus Bradbury (shoulder), Mark Bennett (ruptured hamstring) John Barclay (ruptured Achilles Tendon) and McKenzie (knee) are longer term. They hope to be back early in the New Year.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:It was Glasgow, my bad for not being clear.

Borders and then Edinburgh school and ends up in Glasgow...

then that's worse. Why would he not end up with Glasgow, or alternatively why did Bradbury end up with Edinburgh?

Both were only at Merchie because of a scholarship - private schools awarding scholarships to good rugby players is hardly new.
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum