Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:34 pm

92 appearances over 4 years would suggest more than backup. It is more games per season that Toby flood or Chris Harris have managed.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:00 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:92 appearances over 4 years would suggest more than backup. It is more games per season that Toby flood or Chris Harris have managed.

Socino didn't get offered a new deal by Newcastle and spend most of the season before last on the bench.

Harris came out of nowhere and Flood is perennially injured.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby stef.s on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:00 am

Tichtheid wrote:Sau only shows up briefly with a good run in the 6 minutes I saw.

Seems to be a lot of suggestions from folk who know him much better than I do that he's a better 12 than winger.
stef.s
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:33 pm

royc wrote:Has Blain been given a contract? Haven't seen anything from ER about it, maybe I missed it?

Confirmed as an Academy player here: https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-club ... s-to-watch
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am

3 Fijian players in the squad for this season - Mata, Kunavula and Sau. Prior to these guys I can only think of Netani Talei as a Fijian or Fijian-born player who featured for Edinburgh. Am I missing anyone?
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:56 am

disco wrote:3 Fijian players in the squad for this season - Mata, Kunavula and Sau. Prior to these guys I can only think of Netani Talei as a Fijian or Fijian-born player who featured for Edinburgh. Am I missing anyone?

Senitiki Nayalo made three appearances last season
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 am

So, as it's a down period at the moment, I was just thinking about the squad we'll have for the first series of fixtures, I'm assuming only one of our Scotland squad players will be returned to us - Henry Pyrgos, I just can't see him getting one of the three seats on the plane to Japan, unless there is an injury.
No order as such, just as the names come to me

1. Schoeman, Sutherland, Marfo,
2. Cherry, Willemse, Fenton
3. Ceccerelli, Stanley, McCallum, though the Embra site has him listed at looseheid
4. Carmichael, Hodgson
5. Hunter Hill, McKenzie
6. Douglas, Haining,
7. Kunavula, Crosbie
8. Someone from the above, we are a bit light in the backrow unless we get someone back from Scotland, elsewhere in the pack is okay, as long as we don't get injuries.

9. Pyrgos, Sheil, Groom
10. VDW, Hickey, Baggott
11. VDM,
12. Scott, Dean
13. Bennett, Johnson, Taylor
14. Hoyland, Blain
15. Fife

The backs squad leaves out Sau, Kinghorn & Graham.

Johnson can cover wing, Jaco can cover fullback, again we have to hope we don't have injuries.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:01 am

Tichtheid wrote:
disco wrote:3 Fijian players in the squad for this season - Mata, Kunavula and Sau. Prior to these guys I can only think of Netani Talei as a Fijian or Fijian-born player who featured for Edinburgh. Am I missing anyone?

Senitiki Nayalo made three appearances last season

We also had Solomoni Rasolea who played Fiji U20 before Aussie 7's from memory.
...... and Will Helu (wing), Sasa Tofilo?? (centre) and ?? Fihaki (back row) although I think they were all Tongan as opposed to Fijian.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Tichtheid wrote:So, as it's a down period at the moment, I was just thinking about the squad we'll have for the first series of fixtures, I'm assuming only one of our Scotland squad players will be returned to us - Henry Pyrgos, I just can't see him getting one of the three seats on the plane to Japan, unless there is an injury.
No order as such, just as the names come to me

1. Schoeman, Sutherland, Marfo,
2. Cherry, Willemse, Fenton
3. Ceccerelli, Stanley, McCallum, though the Embra site has him listed at looseheid
4. Carmichael, Hodgson
5. Hunter Hill, McKenzie
6. Douglas, Haining,
7. Kunavula, Crosbie
8. Someone from the above, we are a bit light in the backrow unless we get someone back from Scotland, elsewhere in the pack is okay, as long as we don't get injuries.

9. Pyrgos, Sheil, Groom
10. VDW, Hickey, Baggott
11. VDM,
12. Scott, Dean
13. Bennett, Johnson, Taylor
14. Hoyland, Blain
15. Fife

The backs squad leaves out Sau, Kinghorn & Graham.

Johnson can cover wing, Jaco can cover fullback, again we have to hope we don't have injuries.

Glasgow have announced the Scotland 7s that will be training with them and potentially in the squad early season - including Lowe, Macfarland, Glenn Bryce. I assume we will also be allocated a few - presumably Miller, Farndale... +?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:25 pm

Whilst there is a very justifiable case for all of Barclay,Bradbury ,Ritchie and Watson its unlikely all four will make the cut given the back row depth in the training squad so I suspect at least one will be available (barring injuries of course).
Also likely Kinghorn could be in a fight with Seymour for the last back three spot.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:04 pm

Whilst I all for Scotland bringing home the trophy a wee bit of me would be quite happy for them to do it with minimal Edinburgh players keeping our squad strong. Sorry but I can’t help being selfish.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:14 am

I think we still have a centre/outside back to come into the squad.

From Scotland I would then either Kinghorn or Graham will be back and probably Ritchie too, maybe Bradbury, Botha areas are very competitive in the squad and will be squeezed numbers wise to fit the squad.

What is actually worse is having them called up at the last minute, as we don’t have time to cover it or train without them. As mentioned 7s players may well provide short term cover.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:04 am

From looking at numbers in previous world cup squads and then who is available, I think Scotland will take Hogg, Maitland, Seymour, Kinghorn and Graham for the back three places, those would be the current front runners for the plane, with possibility that someone could show enough in the upcoming warm up games to edge their way in to the squad.

For my money Ritchie was one of Scotland’s best players in the 6N with Bradbury being a rare thing in Scottish rugby, a bruiser of a carrier. I’d be disappointed for either of them if they didn't make the final squad, but delighted to see either or both of of them playing for Edinburgh with a point to prove.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:22 am

In the back row a lot will depend on whether they take Skinner and go 4 locks plus Skinner or 4 including Skinner.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Do we not also have Kwagga Smith for the backrow or have I missed something?
JDCSR
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum