Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby The Nudger on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:39 pm

Just a thought but if we could get Alex Dunbar on the cheap would it be completely mad to take a punt on him?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:06 pm

macdone wrote:
Frustrating because it shows we're not learning. We seem happy to just let Glasgow just hoover up all the best young backline talent.

:? Ok. Then hand over Glasgow McLean, Blaine, Graham and Kinghorn...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:46 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Sorry but your Finn Russell story is a just nonsense. He has been at Glasgow for nearly 2 years when we signed Carl.

I'm not sure which 9 month period you watched Carl for but he certainly wasn't good for Edinburgh.

Yes, he was at Glasgow on an EDP contract at the time (2013) but had only made one start at centre. We had a stand off crisis around December that season - Solly felt Finn didn't have a good enough kicking game and we went for Carl as an experienced stop gap.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:16 am

Carl Bezuidenhuit - there's a name I never thought I would hear of again on this forum! Next up will be Blauuw, Jaap and Hilterbrand. Lets not resurrect that period of our history again, I'm not sure my blood pressure could take it.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:08 am

macdone wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Sorry but your Finn Russell story is a just nonsense. He has been at Glasgow for nearly 2 years when we signed Carl.

I'm not sure which 9 month period you watched Carl for but he certainly wasn't good for Edinburgh.

Yes, he was at Glasgow on an EDP contract at the time (2013) but had only made one start at centre. We had a stand off crisis around December that season - Solly felt Finn didn't have a good enough kicking game and we went for Carl as an experienced stop gap.

As a 19/20 year old with one start at centre, he was never going to be sought by Edinburgh in the state they were in. Solly was looking for players who would impact straight away (that he didn't succeed much and his signings were largely rubbish was more a failure to grasp the relative standards of pro12 and Currie Cup players than a failure of theory).

Bezuidenhuit was signed half way through 13/14, actually in 2014. Russell made 11 starts for Glasgow that season and was first choice before the end of season.

You're talking mince
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 am

The Nudger wrote:Just a thought but if we could get Alex Dunbar on the cheap would it be completely mad to take a punt on him?

Yes, he's not good at all.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:51 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
The Nudger wrote:Just a thought but if we could get Alex Dunbar on the cheap would it be completely mad to take a punt on him?

Not sure I agree he is not good but our track record when taking a punt on centres with a record of injuries certainly isn't!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Wottie wrote:

Not sure I agree he is not good but our track record when taking a punt on centres with a record of injuries certainly isn't!

What does Dunbar do well? His carrying his poor, his passing is poor, his kicking is poor, his defence is apparently good but I'm not convinced and his knee injuries mean he has no lateral quickness. He has no explosiveness either after the injuries.

And you are correct we have Bennett and Scott missing time with injuries too!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:45 pm

What does Dunbar do well? His carrying his poor, his passing is poor, his kicking is poor, his defence is apparently good but I'm not convinced and his knee injuries mean he has no lateral quickness. He has no explosiveness either after the injuries.

And you are correct we have Bennett and Scott missing time with injuries too![/quote]

So I think in summary Dunbar a crocked International centre our favourite type of signing so expect it announced before KO tomorrow. :)

Being serious I really rated him in the past he was Scotlands best centre for a while, thought his defence from 13, jackeling and power running was top drawer and he was quicker than he looked. But injuries have certainly taken there toll and I am not convinced he will get back to his best, too much of a gamble alongside our current stock for me.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:10 am

joe soap wrote:
macdone wrote:

As a 19/20 year old with one start at centre, he was never going to be sought by Edinburgh in the state they were in. Solly was looking for players who would impact straight away (that he didn't succeed much and his signings were largely rubbish was more a failure to grasp the relative standards of pro12 and Currie Cup players than a failure of theory).

Bezuidenhuit was signed half way through 13/14, actually in 2014. Russell made 11 starts for Glasgow that season and was first choice before the end of season.

You're talking mince

I know it seems ridiculous now but that was the situation at the time - and I agree with your first paragraph. Bill Lothian is by no means the oracle but this was what he was writing at the time -

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-3096714
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:44 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

So I think in summary Dunbar a crocked International centre our favourite type of signing so expect it announced before KO tomorrow. :)

Being serious I really rated him in the past he was Scotlands best centre for a while, thought his defence from 13, jackeling and power running was top drawer and he was quicker than he looked. But injuries have certainly taken there toll and I am not convinced he will get back to his best, too much of a gamble alongside our current stock for me.[/quote]

I absolutely agree. He was absolutely mustard around 5/6 years ago and the memories of that Dunbar explain why he's so popular nowadays. Hasn't been good since 2016.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun May 05, 2019 10:51 am

Wottie wrote:Not sure I agree he is not good but our track record when taking a punt on centres with a record of injuries certainly isn't!

He looked pretty decent in this move from the weekend IMO. However, true to form he had to leave the field early with an arm injury.
https://www.rugbydump.com/news/newcastl ... g-team-try
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 05, 2019 4:57 pm

Wottie wrote:
Wottie wrote:Not sure I agree he is not good but our track record when taking a punt on centres with a record of injuries certainly isn't!

He looked pretty decent in this move from the weekend IMO. However, true to form he had to leave the field early with an arm injury.
https://www.rugbydump.com/news/newcastl ... g-team-try

Great set piece try and he did well to run the line and stay in support. Johnny Williams and the attack coach Dave Walder did a good job creating a huge space mind.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon May 06, 2019 10:27 am

John Barclay is the studio guest on BT Sports Rugby Tonight, tomorrow at 8
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed May 08, 2019 7:23 pm

So we are just waiting for the signing of Nic Groom or A N Other 9 and confirmation that Hoyland is staying/not staying, to complete the squad. Except that we will surely see some more Academy players getting contracts and I wouldn't be surprised if Cockers does some some last-minute surprises with players loaned out or new ones brought in.

Here is the squad as things stand:
Attachments
ER squad, 2019-20, as at 9 May.png
ER squad, 2019-20, as at 9 May.png (127.68 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
royc
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum