Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:33 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Sorry, me not being clear. Yes I was talking about Harris. If it was Dunbar I dont think we can take the risk with another injury prone centre, we have a cupboard full of them at the moment.

Agree on shifting things around, with my pessimistic hat on does it suggest we might have seen the last of one of the injured guys? I really hope not.

I've just said something similar elsewhere, yeah hopefully if was just Cockerill looking for extra strength in depth.

I too think Harris would have been good at Edinburgh.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:39 pm

Elliot Daly is available and can play 13 :lol: what do Sarries have that we don't :roll:
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:48 pm

The interest in Harris suggests a lack of confidence in JJ and/or Bennett. Or how highly Toonie rates him and is worried about the Falcons going down I suppose.

I wonder if we'll keep trying for a centre, you'd think we're well stocked unless Dean goes. Hutchison coming back from Nicois too.

On wingers - hopefully Hoyland comes back but lack of any guys coming through (Blain and McLean very young) is likely a saving grace for Fife and Brown. Wonder if they might shift Nairn across.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:18 am

I don't think they could move anyone west to east again without the full melt down and implosionof the "warrior nation"

It would feed the conspiracy theorists. Some players moving the other way would actually make more sense now. Dell would have been ideal for them, I'd not want to lose hm but Berghan too, they are desperately short at prop.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I don't think they could move anyone west to east again without the full melt down and implosionof the "warrior nation"

It would feed the conspiracy theorists. Some players moving the other way would actually make more sense now. Dell would have been ideal for them, I'd not want to lose hm but Berghan too, they are desperately short at prop.

Are they? They have Fagerson, Nuke, Rae and Nicol at tighthead and Kebble, Bhatti and Allan on the other side, plus du Plessis on a one year contract.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:16 am

Blain looks a real prospect, even though he is young he did not look out of place in the pre-season match however given Shiels lack of game time I imagine Blain would follow a similar path and is not a viable squad option at present.

We could really do with a bit of experience particularly in the back 3 our first choice are all young, Hoyland if injury free I think is a very good club player and adds something. But we really need some steadying hands that can come in not make mistakes, like letting balls bounce, guide the younger players (a Sean Maitland sort of player would be prefect I think, Maitland himself obviously under contract and likely to be way out of our budget). Hopefully Cockerill will be able to uncover someone good.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:30 am

Tichtheid wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:I don't think they could move anyone west to east again without the full melt down and implosionof the "warrior nation"

Are they? They have Fagerson, Nuke, Rae and Nicol at tighthead and Kebble, Bhatti and Allan on the other side, plus du Plessis on a one year contract.

True, but... Nuke isnt very good, Fagerson tends to be injured and I still dont think is better than Berg. Rae is fine but not setting the world alight, similar to Bhatti and Allan, I would have McCallum before any of them. Nicol is a very good prospect.

I would say in terms of front line props who you would be confident going into a big game and coming out on top they have Kebble and Fagerson, other than that Im not seeing a lot of quality. It is a little like us with Dean and JJ in the centre, its ok and they are doing well, but we really need Scott and Bennet back if we really want to threaten

Id love to have kept Dell and keep Berg, having 2 front rows capable os mixing it with the best has been a major strength, but if it means we can add quality elsewhere and still be relatively strong then I think something may have to give there.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:38 am

Re the backline, A Marty Banks or Matt Faddes type guy would be good, guys who aren’t going to be looking for international rugby, but have been very good Super Rugby players - there is no way we can get somone like Ben Smith, but the next rung down might be doable.

Dolf, you posted as i was typing, I’d hate to lose Bergs to Glasgow, Glasgow’s scrum has done well against most sides, except us right enough, they didn’t creak against Sarries.

Nicol is going to be a great scrummager, I think he’s the best they got.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:39 am

If you believe Jim Hamilton the plan was to move Dell to Glasgow but LI paid him a wedge to move there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:06 am

There is no way Berghan will be moving to Glasgow. Would leave us with an injury prone 33 year od. The italian lad who's name I can't spell, who was clearly signed as squad filler and McCallum who is just out the academy.

It would weaken Edinburgh massively, to move a player who is likely to be our first choice TH in the near future.

Glasgow also don't need him, with Fagerson first choice, Rae/the nuke 2nd and 3rd and Nicol coming through.
EWT spoons
International

Postby royc on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 pm

[quote="EWT spoons"] There is no way Berghan will be moving to Glasgow. Would leave us with an injury prone 33 year od. The italian lad who's name I can't spell, who was clearly signed as squad filler and McCallum who is just out the academy.

I/quote]

C-e-c-c-a-r-e-l-l-i ! And he's not 33, he's a stripling, for a prop forward, at a mere 26 going 27, two years younger than Bergs and six younger than WP. I don't think he has been out injured much, he wasn't around for the first 7 league fixtures but I assume that was him being got into shape and up to speed; since then, he's only been out crocked for 2 weeks and has got something like 7 caps, 3 as starter.

And I think he has been pretty good actually, he doesn't have WP's power (yet), but the scrum is stable when he's on and he doesn't shirk his tackles. He has 11 caps for Italy, so squad filler doesn't sound quite right. We have had far worse THs in the past! He could be the back-up to WP or third choice, with someone brought in to replace Bergs if he moves on.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:13 am

I think the "injury prone 33 year old" is Nel.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:15 am

royc wrote:
EWT spoons wrote: There is no way Berghan will be moving to Glasgow. Would leave us with an injury prone 33 year od. The italian lad who's name I can't spell, who was clearly signed as squad filler and McCallum who is just out the academy.

C-e-c-c-a-r-e-l-l-i ! And he's not 33, he's a stripling, for a prop forward, at a mere 26 going 27, two years younger than Bergs and six younger than WP. I don't think he has been out injured much, he wasn't around for the first 7 league fixtures but I assume that was him being got into shape and up to speed; since then, he's only been out crocked for 2 weeks and has got something like 7 caps, 3 as starter.

And I think he has been pretty good actually, he doesn't have WP's power (yet), but the scrum is stable when he's on and he doesn't shirk his tackles. He has 11 caps for Italy, so squad filler doesn't sound quite right. We have had far worse THs in the past! He could be the back-up to WP or third choice, with someone brought in to replace Bergs if he moves on.
[/quote]

Nel is the injury prone 33 year old he’s referring to.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 am

Yeah I was referring to Nel.

Nothing wrong with Ceccarelli (thanks), but he was clearly brought in as cover, rather than 1st choice.
EWT spoons
International

Postby Wottie on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:08 pm

See Vellacott has made the move from from Glaws to Wasps. Don't think he was ever really spoken about as an option for us and seems to be sticking with trying to break into the England squad. Would have been a good option alongside a two year deal to keep Henry at ER. Joe Simpson going the other way as part of the deal.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum