Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:51 pm

Frenchy wrote:Where's Hugh Blake at the moment?

Living the life in New Zealand judging by instagram.

I can't wait to watch how it shakes out with Bradbury, Ritchie and Matt F competing in the warm ups. Matt Fagerson was outstanding for Glasgow this year. I can't see vice captain and leader of the team Wilson miss out but he might on talent.

If we're talking loans and short term deals for Glasgow or Edinburgh then Hardie and Hamilton are without a club but it's unlikely. Mungo Mason hung around then Erskine at Nice. Conor Boyle could see some time here and then Gary Graham won't be going to the world cup and surely can't fancy a season in the championship.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:54 am

Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Nasoko no longer joining following examination of pre-existing injury.

That's a shame, though after Nasi Manu and Robbie Fruean it’s better that we use the money on someone who is fit, my concern is in finding a player of Nasoko’s quality at this stage in the season.

I presume we have a scrum half lined up, preferably two.

Rufus McLean has apparently signed for Glasgow from the ER Academy. Our back three resources have taken a dunt over the past week or so. Still no confirmation of a contract for Hoyland that I have noticed yet either. We are surely going to need to add to the squad in the back three now?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Wottie wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Nasoko no longer joining following examination of pre-existing injury.

That's a shame, though after Nasi Manu and Robbie Fruean it’s better that we use the money on someone who is fit, my concern is in finding a player of Nasoko’s quality at this stage in the season.

Rufus McLean has apparently signed for Glasgow from the ER Academy. Our back three resources have taken a dunt over the past week or so. Still no confirmation of a contract for Hoyland that I have noticed yet either. We are surely going to need to add to the squad in the back three now?

I do wonder if we have too much budget tied up in our pack in particular these days, Glasgow with Hogg and others leaving and no major signings announced must still have budget so can offer pro terms rather than the academy contracts we can.

Hoyland and Blain both appear in the squad on the new website, all the announced leavers do not, so assume Hoyland is just to be confirmed.

Kinghorn
Graham
VDM
Hoyland
Blain
Fife
Sau

Think what we really miss is a solid experienced head among that group.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:41 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I heard he was going to Glasgow, would make sense give their need in the back row.

Interesting the Nasoko article in fiji seems to suggest Edinburgh will reconsider him once he is fit.

It still leaves us short of quality in depth in the back 3.

Yep, there's an embedded video from the press conference. Edinburgh requested that he have back surgery, which is now being arranged asap by the FRU, after which Edinburgh will reconsider apparently...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:41 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Wottie wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

I do wonder if we have too much budget tied up in our pack in particular these days, Glasgow with Hogg and others leaving and no major signings announced must still have budget so can offer pro terms rather than the academy contracts we can.

Hoyland and Blain both appear in the squad on the new website, all the announced leavers do not, so assume Hoyland is just to be confirmed.

Kinghorn
Graham
VDM
Hoyland
Blain
Fife
Sau

Think what we really miss is a solid experienced head among that group.

At least a bit of effort made in balancing that this summer, with Dell and Hamilton not renewed.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Hoyland confirmed this afternoon on the clubs Twitter feed. 1 year extension. They must have been looking up on here and realised they had forgotten to hit send :lol:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:08 pm

According to the Weegies' site, Boroughmuir will be tied to Glasgow Warriors next season, as part of the alignment of the Super 6 clubs with the Pro teams. They apparently get Ayr, Boroughmuir and Stirling County, we get Heriots, Melrose and Watsonians. This determines which Pro team the Academy players are allocated to.

While there may be some musical chairs as the Super 6 clubs sign up Stage 3 academy players, as things stand we would lose the three Stage 3 Boroughmuir boys, Ross Dunbar (LH), Dan Winning (TH) and Calum Atkinson (Lock).

3 others will be switched to Super 6 teams, let's hope Embra ones - Roan Frostwick (Currie, 9), Shaun Gunn (Edin Accies, LH) and George Spencer (Edin Accies, OC/wing).

As it sounds like Rufus MacLean is going to Warriors - I think we missed a trick there - our Stage 3 academy could be a bit thin next season, but hopefully some talented Stage 2 boys will make the step up to fill the gaps.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:33 am

George Spencer left - he signed for Jersey. Robbie Davis also left.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:45 am

biffer wrote:At least a bit of effort made in balancing that this summer, with Dell and Hamilton not renewed.

With Ford going too that should have freed up a chunk of change. But I would imaging the new deals for Darcy G, Gilchrist, Mata, Watson, and Berghan with the likes of CHH and McCallum getting deals (IIRC) then a large part of that will have been taken up.

I know we are not talking about the 20/21 season but with Nels deal ending next year, we could do with McCallum kicking on. If he stays the deal for a 34 year old Nel should be a bit more "budget friendly".
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 am

BigD163 wrote:
biffer wrote:At least a bit of effort made in balancing that this summer, with Dell and Hamilton not renewed.

With Ford going too that should have freed up a chunk of change. But I would imaging the new deals for Darcy G, Gilchrist, Mata, Watson, and Berghan with the likes of CHH and McCallum getting deals (IIRC) then a large part of that will have been taken up.

I know we are not talking about the 20/21 season but with Nels deal ending next year, we could do with McCallum kicking on. If he stays the deal for a 34 year old Nel should be a bit more "budget friendly".

Bhatti coming in as well although suspect he will be a fair bit less than Dell.

Think we will have a number of senior renewals due this season, plus a few that have made significant breakthroughs since last contracts. It is both on opportunity and risk.

The likes of Hickey and Bennett are both on decent money and really need big seasons to earn new deals I would think.

Barclay, Ritchie, Bradbury and Crosbie I think are all OOC how much game time each gets may dictate if they wish to sign on again although with Barclay and Mata likely to only be around for a season or 2 more there may be a longer term incentive for the younger element to stay.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Bennet may be off the wage bill sooner than that, ironically it is his injury which puts that in doubt. Heard he is keen to move on.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:58 pm

No great loss if he does go.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:26 pm

BigD163 wrote:

I reckon 34 is in your prime for a TH prop. Also had a year and a half when his body wasn't taking the usual punishment. I reckon Nel will be good until 36/37.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:17 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Bennet may be off the wage bill sooner than that, ironically it is his injury which puts that in doubt. Heard he is keen to move on.

Wonder where he'd end up. He's been a shadow of his former self when he's played.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 pm

I hope Bennett stays on and regains his best form but he's had a couple of serious injuries, it's not easy coming back from those particular setbacks when you rely on speed and quick changes of direction.

Matt Scott played his best rugby at Glaws in a 13 jersey, JJ has been very good in that shirt and I seem to recall Eroni Sau was seen as 13/winger, there's Taylor too.
I don't think we've seen anything like the best from Socino yet, he was very good in a free-flowing Newcastle backline, I'm hoping he kicks on this coming season.
Dean was good last season, he's a much better 12 than he is a 13.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum