Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:51 pm

Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:55 pm

Ok the usual concerns about "agent's tapes" but enough on there to suggest this is going to be a terrific signing.Just what is needed to get our backs going.Great passer of the ball (especially on the more difficult"left to right" side).No hanging about at the base of the scrum,he just gets it away immediately.And looks a strong fast runner.
Fingers crossed he continues to play that way!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm

This fancy passing and running is all well and good, but can he box kick????

Thats the real question we need to know the answer to.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:06 pm

liveinhope wrote:Ok the usual concerns about "agent's tapes" but enough on there to suggest this is going to be a terrific signing.Just what is needed to get our backs going.Great passer of the ball (especially on the more difficult"left to right" side).No hanging about at the base of the scrum,he just gets it away immediately.And looks a strong fast runner.
Fingers crossed he continues to play that way!

Yeah - and he looks like the style of player that Charlie Shiel will develop into as well - fast pass, looking for the break, a bit nuggety. Hopefully help him develop, and provide a consistent style.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:19 am

At the very least he should be good senior competition for Pyrgos. Henry put in some really good performances for us last season, but towards the end when he was off form we could have done with another option.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:05 am

Tichtheid wrote:
biffer wrote:Ross Ford's retirement also confirmed today.

Absolute legend, for club and country. It's good he's staying on in the game to do S&C for the Borders & East Lothian academy players

Tom English does a pretty good summing up of Fordy's career imo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48785243

To repeat what I have mentioned elsewhere, I know the young guys at Edinburgh really like and respect him. He was apparently the senior player who would go most of his way to welcome them and help them integrate, and he was helpful technically.

He should prosper in the academy set up, and they benefit equally.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:14 am

Weegie wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
biffer wrote:Ross Ford's retirement also confirmed today.

Absolute legend, for club and country. It's good he's staying on in the game to do S&C for the Borders & East Lothian academy players

Tom English does a pretty good summing up of Fordy's career imo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48785243

To repeat what I have mentioned elsewhere, I know the young guys at Edinburgh really like and respect him. He was apparently the senior player who would go most of his way to welcome them and help them integrate, and he was helpful technically.

He should prosper in the academy set up, and they benefit equally.

Probably an underrated part of our scrum success in recent years.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:25 pm

Unfortunately due to various injuries we never saw much if anything of what would have been our best front row ever of Dickinson - Ford - Nel. At their peak they would have destroyed most if not all other front rows for Embra and Scotland. At his peak Ford was a fearsome scrummager, its just a pity he lost the dynamism in the loose of his early years.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 am

I think part if Fords legacy will be how well McInally turned out. Being a pro back row that changes to hooker is something Ford will have known all about. From all that we hear about Ford it isn't a big leap to suggest he'll have player a role in McInally becoming one of the better hookers in the game.

Not many Scots can say they played 7s in the commonwealth games and played in a Lions test. I hope he enjoys his playing retirement, after a 16-17 year pro career he deserves it.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:37 pm

Think I'm probably right in saying absolutely none other than him-not even Hoggy. (Lions Test and Commonwealth Games 7's.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:59 am

Thats quite a stat, and something he can be proud of.

it also shows how he adapted his game over time, he started off quite lightweight and mobile and got bigger and stronger as his career went on. Arguably he went too far and lost his dynamism. He actually woudl have made a beast of a tight head if he could have done that. He was at least solid in the face of some of the worst Scotland and Edinburgh teams we have seen. Cant have been easy for him remaining motivated when surrounded by players out of their depth.

WIll be interesting to see how he goes as a coach. Not the most vocal but very hard working and good tecnically.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:36 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Thats quite a stat, and something he can be proud of.

WIll be interesting to see how he goes as a coach. Not the most vocal but very hard working and good tecnically.

Fordy may just get the best out of people without being too vocal, beware the quiet spoken man.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:01 am

wtf has Darcy Graham done tae his heid?

Do all Hawick laddies dye their hair blonde?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm

There is really not a lot to do in Hawick!

I see Eroni Sau will start on the wing for Fiji vs Maori, Big Bill at no8. Hopefully they can stay fit and come back from RWC in roaring form.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:01 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I see Eroni Sau will start on the wing for Fiji vs Maori, Big Bill at no8. Hopefully they can stay fit and come back from RWC in roaring form.

It's not on tv as far as I can see, at least not on the legitimate places :roll:

mind you, if I've calculated correctly the game is on at 2am here so I'd miss it anyway.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum