Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Will you still be out clubbing then?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:31 pm

I usually start my dj set around then
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:21 am

Socino has left the building. A real shame as we never got to see him at his best. Sometimes wrong place wrong time but he is a good player. Hopefully he finds a good club. Wording is he is looking for more regular game time.

Hopefully that means that Scott & Bennet are looking good to play a lot of games next season. We really need to get full value from them. Johnstone and Dean are good but I think we need slightly better as 1st choice. Taylor has looked good when given a chance.

I had heard that Bennett may be leaving for similar reasons but hopefully this puts that to bed.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:37 am

Shame but can hardly blame him, same for Benbwt if rumours are true. Why would any decent back want to be involved in the shambles that us Hodge's idea of back play?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 am

Yeah he looked really good at Newcastle but we never saw the same player.

With Socino away and Nasoko not arriving are we going to be a bit light of numbers in the backs again, especially if we lose one, two or more to the RWC? (insert joke of choice re our need for backs)

I had heard similar re Bennett although rather for game time it was a fresh start after what has been an awful run of injuries. Hopefully not the case and we see more of the player he can be.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:28 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Socino has left the building. A real shame as we never got to see him at his best. Sometimes wrong place wrong time but he is a good player. Hopefully he finds a good club. Wording is he is looking for more regular game time.

Hopefully that means that Scott & Bennet are looking good to play a lot of games next season. We really need to get full value from them. Johnstone and Dean are good but I think we need slightly better as 1st choice. Taylor has looked good when given a chance.

I had heard that Bennett may be leaving for similar reasons but hopefully this puts that to bed.

Post WC Sau is also an option for 12. He has played there for Fiji Drua in the past apparently (according to a Fijian poster elsewhere). No idea if true or not.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:08 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Yeah he looked really good at Newcastle but we never saw the same player.

With Socino away and Nasoko not arriving are we going to be a bit light of numbers in the backs again, especially if we lose one, two or more to the RWC? (insert joke of choice re our need for backs)

I had heard similar re Bennett although rather for game time it was a fresh start after what has been an awful run of injuries. Hopefully not the case and we see more of the player he can be.

We aren't losing centres to the world cup unless Scotland have probably the worst run of centre injuries imaginable.

Not sure if Socino was that good, if you can't get into a team with the centres we have ...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:30 pm

I meant in general rather than centre specifically

Not convinced both Kinghorn and Graham will be at the RWC but it is possible both plus Sau could go which would leave us light in the back 3

Socino also provided 10 cover which if VDW or Hickey get injured leaves Baggott plus one.

Think all our contracted backs are

Kinghorn, Graham, VDM, Hoyland, Blain, Fife, Sau

Bennett, Johnstone, Taylor, Scott, Dean,

V de Walt, hickey, Baggott

Pyrgos, Shiel, Groom
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I meant in general rather than centre specifically

Not convinced both Kinghorn and Graham will be at the RWC but it is possible both plus Sau could go which would leave us light in the back 3

Socino also provided 10 cover which if VDW or Hickey get injured leaves Baggott plus one.

Think all our contracted backs are

Kinghorn, Graham, VDM, Hoyland, Blain, Fife, Sau

Bennett, Johnstone, Taylor, Scott, Dean,

V de Walt, hickey, Baggott

Pyrgos, Shiel, Groom

+ Academy which is yet to be announced but could have some useful players who we don't know about yet. We could even have Ferguson or Coombes or someone from the sevens do a JJ type job.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Has Blain been given a contract? Haven't seen anything from ER about it, maybe I missed it?
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:50 pm

royc wrote:Has Blain been given a contract? Haven't seen anything from ER about it, maybe I missed it?

Maybe not, not sure why I thought he had.

Socino off to a Spanish team on a 2 year deal

Edit: tweet from mark palmer suggesting Socino was a chunky wage as well...
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:32 am

Fiji beat the Maori ABs, Bill scored a corker.

I can’t seem to copy and paste a link on this device but you can find the highlights easily enough from a search. Sau only shows up briefly with a good run in the 6 minutes I saw.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 am

Once again a player that arrived with big promises leaves to get ‘game time’, I saw flashes from him but he never seemed to get time to fully gel in the team and show his potential(or lack of it), once again the season approaches and we the supporters have more doubts/questions than hope/expectation.
My lot have the season tickets ordered, is this the year we will approach every game without a feeling of dread, , can we be a “feared team” and ready to applaud Cockers and co for their excellent performance every game? I really hope so.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Flinty's Barmy Army on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Fiji beat the Maori ABs, Bill scored a corker.

I can’t seem to copy and paste a link on this device but you can find the highlights easily enough from a search. Sau only shows up briefly with a good run in the 6 minutes I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEqWYDeults
Flinty's Barmy Army
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Once again a player that arrived with big promises leaves to get ‘game time’, I saw flashes from him but he never seemed to get time to fully gel in the team and show his potential(or lack of it), once again the season approaches and we the supporters have more doubts/questions than hope/expectation.
My lot have the season tickets ordered, is this the year we will approach every game without a feeling of dread, , can we be a “feared team” and ready to applaud Cockers and co for their excellent performance every game? I really hope so.

He was a back up centre at Newcastle. Not sure he was ever going to live up to big promises...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum