Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby gowrie on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:50 pm

There is a gap between ours and Glasgow's second/third XVs (though the comparison isn't totally fair IMO since ours was pretty much third and theirs was much closer to second), but I tend to put it more at a coaching/system gap than players, especially in the backs.

Thompson's getting praise, but playing for Edinburgh he wouldn't have looked half as good, and VdW or Hickey would look great at Glasgow. Don't think there's any getting around the fact that our backs just don't improve, if anything they regress when they come here.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:15 pm

Agree with most of what has been said, Cockers has to a dgree got the first 23 competitive but we need to work on depth now.

The gameplan isnt one which readily suits bringing in callwo youths, one built on speed of movement and avoiding contact works well for brininging in youngsters, we play a more attritional style and it is hard for them to adapt.

Agree also that we rarely seem to improve backs when they come to us, we also seem to have horrendous luck with injuries to key backs and struggle to get a decent run of games with a strong backline. Agree VDW and Hickey woudl look better playing for Glasgow.

We are still building though, I just hope we can pull it togerther quickly enough to still make the champs cup.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:44 pm

I thought I saw Charlie Shiel with the team on Friday, presumably as 24th man. He must be near getting some game time
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:01 pm

He must be pretty awful if he cant get past Fowles and Kennedy!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:02 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:He must be pretty awful if he cant get past Fowles and Kennedy!

First Pro season, hell have been given conditioning targets to meet. If you don't meet them you don't play.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:17 pm

biffer wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:He must be pretty awful if he cant get past Fowles and Kennedy!

First Pro season, hell have been given conditioning targets to meet. If you don't meet them you don't play.

He was a stage 3 academy player last year and was 24th man on numerous occasions. So he should know what's required.

It's a bad sign he can't get a look in when we're crying for 9s.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:32 pm

There was a bit of a stramash towards the end of last season when Cockerill said that Shiel was a good player but Fowles and Kennedy weren't.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
biffer wrote:

He was a stage 3 academy player last year and was 24th man on numerous occasions. So he should know what's required.

It's a bad sign he can't get a look in when we're crying for 9s.

When they sign the first pro contract they’re given specific targets. Quite often it’s around adding muscle mass - apparently this is one of the things Ally Miller had trouble with. It’s not about knowing what’s required, it’s about meeting your targets.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm

biffer wrote:
When they sign the first pro contract they’re given specific targets. Quite often it’s around adding muscle mass - apparently this is one of the things Ally Miller had trouble with. It’s not about knowing what’s required, it’s about meeting your targets.

Jamie Ritchie spoke about something along those lines, about how Bradbury was always a beast and he, Ritchie, had to work hard in the gym.

It's worked though, he looks so strong these days, not a bloater, just very powerful in that wiry way
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby monkey on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 pm

biffer wrote:
monkey wrote:
biffer wrote:
There's some crazy paranoia and other stuff over on the Glasgow website

'The SRU are going to shut us down'

I thought it was pretty clear that was joke.

Really? They just don't normally do jokes over there.

BOO!
monkey
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:41 pm

monkey wrote:
biffer wrote:
monkey wrote:
I thought it was pretty clear that was joke.

Really? They just don't normally do jokes over there.

BOO!

Oh the banter.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 pm

http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-40418.html

Found this on the lads in France. Seems Bain, Erskine and Hutchison are getting good game time.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm

biffer wrote:

and as I think you mean to imply, some lads find it very difficult to impossible to put on the bulk needed, and not for lack of effort or intent. A few have fallen off the radar for this very reason
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm

strong rumours of Faf De Klerk heading to Gloucesters next season, would Ben Vellacot be the perfect back up scrum half to HP
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Ayton1keith wrote:strong rumours of Faf De Klerk heading to Gloucesters next season, would Ben Vellacot be the perfect back up scrum half to HP

He's got a way to go on his contract, hasn't he?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum