Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:28 pm

Interesting that Hickey has been chosen to start both the 1872 games. He therefore looks to be ahead of VdW in Cockers' selection thinking, which is a bit of a surprise given how things were at the stat of the season.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:49 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:Interesting that Hickey has been chosen to start both the 1872 games. He therefore looks to be ahead of VdW in Cockers' selection thinking, which is a bit of a surprise given how things were at the stat of the season.

I do think Hickey has got the backs moving better than vdW. He's starting to look like the player we'd hope he would be.
It shows the value of patience often takes a new signing a while to get their feet under the table.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:44 pm

Saw a tweet with list of OOC.

I thought VDM had extended early at some point, but perhaps not.

Sutherland
McInally
Fenton
Cherry
Nel
Ceccarelli
Stanley
Toolis
Hodgson
Thomson
Barclay
Bradbury
Shiel
VDW
Hickey
Baggott
Scott
VDM
Fife
Hoyland
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 pm

It summer coming up, I would want to keep the vast majority of that list. Not sure if Nel and or Barclay may habe retirment in mind. I would imagine a reduced salary if not.

Cherry ceccerelli, Stanley, baggot, Fife and Hoyland are the ones I would potentially let go.

It sure about Thomson and hodgson, maybe unlikely both will stay.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:39 pm

VDM, Rambo, Scott and Bradbury are the business critical ones for me, with Hickey, VDW, Toolis not far behind.

Thereafter it gets a bit more difficult. Ceccarelli has been solid for us and I’d happily keep him. Shiel will hopefully stay to start pushing Pyrgos and Groom for more game time. Cherry vs Fenton is a tough one (and I think we can probably only keep one of them) but the former has probably been slightly better of late. Barclay and Nel would be nice to keep, but both are getting past their best and so it depends on the terms. Hoyland is a decent squad player and may not become more, but is okay to have around to cover injuries etc.

None of the others are critical, I’d say. Sutherland especially seems to be a shadow of his former self and could probably do with a fresh start/change of scene (just not Glasgow please!)
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:05 pm

I disagree on Sutherland. Having now got over a horror injury he seems on good form again.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Hoyland is an essential for me. Graham, Kinghorn and eventually VdM are going to be away for internationals with managed gametime. Having Hoyland ensures a good Pro14 winger fullback available all year.

Those are the players that get you Champions Cup qualification. Lee Jones was one - great player for us in the league, not Scotland quality but a key piece for Glasgow after he lost form for us.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:15 am

Hickey and Vdw are the crucial ones for me, we have wasted years trying to find a decent 10, we now have 2 and must keep 1 as a minimum but preferably 2.

After that Matt Scott has been a revelation this year and seeing him and Bennet fire as a partnership is what we need to take the next step. Bradbury, Shiel, Mcinally and VDm next.

I know what you are saying about Hoyland but it is easier to find a good squad winger than it is say a 10, or replace a Matt Scott. With Sau we have a bit of cover and hopefully some of the youngsters coming through will develop.

I feel Hoyland stagnated after his injury. Still good but not electrifying as he was when he arrived.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:40 am

Not sure it's that easy to find good squad wingers/fullbacks - look at Glasgow's OAPs playing on their wing.

I'm assuming Hickey will stay - high earner here probably hasn't played up to that and so who is going to blow us away with a better offer? VdW wants to qualify for Scotland. Scott has been away - he wasn't highly sought after post Gloucester and hasn't enhanced his reputation on return.

I'd be a bit concerned about Bradbury moving elsewhere as he's a big athletic backrow but who knows.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:16 am

I would like to see the majority re-sign (think Baggott, Stanley given he has not played, prob Fife won’t be retained)

I think Bradbury will hang about for another contract or two, but longer term I expect we will go through a similar cycle in terms of player turnover as Glasgow (assuming no fundamental change in our budget) as our squad matures and wage pressure increases the better players will likely get offers that see them move on when they get to around mid/late 20s

Of the current crop of OOC I think Sutherland may look to move for more game time although with Kebble and Seiuli at Glasgow I can’t see him moving West so possibly limited opportunities given his injury history

Toolis he is border line Scotland team, in if there is an injury to others but not guaranteed to be in squad, I wonder if he will look to make some cash elsewhere if he has the chance.

When is Cockerill OOC?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:46 pm

Bradbury has re-signed. Good news.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:When is Cockerill OOC?

Believe Cockers signed a 2 year deal for seasons 2017/18 and 2018/19 which was then extended for a further 2 years in early 2018. So he's here until the end of next season (May 2021).
To quote the man himself; "Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"

Would be great to see him stay for a long time. You can see this season that he is now happy with his squad and the trust is there to properly rotate the players in a way we didn't see last season. Hopefully this will keep us up the top of the conference through the back half of the season and avoid the fatigue that set on last year.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 pm

biffer wrote:Bradbury has re-signed. Good news.

Indeed it is. Hope it's a 2 or 3 year deal. Between him and Crosbie we have two fantastic ball carriers in our back row hopefully for a long tome to come.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:39 pm

I'd like to keep the vast majority of the list of OOC players. Ceccerelli, for instance, I think he has been playing really well for us. Nel is 34 at the end of the season and I can't see him playing on for too much longer. Bergs still has Scotland duty to attend to and we have McCallum up and coming, international-quality tightheads aren't easy to find.

The recent signings are heartening, there is evidence there of a club in better health than it has been for some time, the staff are all buying into what Cockers wants from everyone and where he wants to take Edinburgh Rugby.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:22 pm

Very happy that Bradbury is staying, he is the sort of physical and abrasive player that we need. He is going to get better in the next few years as well.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum