Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby BruceLee on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:31 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Hickey was signed as a 10 that would run and get the backline moving yet that is not how we are looking to play, going back to his interviews at the time of signing.

“Before I signed, I wanted to know what sort of club I was going to,” Hickey told The Offside Line. “I watched a lot of the games and I was impressed with what I saw, the style of play, and Richard told me they’re trying to play a more expansive style than they probably had in previous years.

“And when I watched replays of games, I could see that in the play. That made it a good decision because as a Kiwi 10, I didn’t really want to go to a team that was just a kicking and mauling sort of a team.

“I wanted to go somewhere where they enjoyed throwing the ball around and I think Edinburgh’s trying to do that this year and they’ve had some success with it too. That helped with my decision.”

I am not saying it is mitigation for not getting game time and he has under perhaps under-performed but clearly we are not playing the style of game he was sold and thought he was coming to play. So perhaps questions around why his signing was targeted in the first instance as well as why he is not producing.

Feel sorry for the guy if thats what he thought he was coming into,at the moment the expansive style of play is not going to happen,but tbh you can only get away with our style of play for so long until you come up against a better team and you will be found out big time!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:26 am

The Feral Goat wrote:“I wanted to go somewhere where they enjoyed throwing the ball around and I think Edinburgh’s trying to do that this year and they’ve had some success with it too. That helped with my decision.”

I am not saying it is mitigation for not getting game time and he has under perhaps under-performed but clearly we are not playing the style of game he was sold and thought he was coming to play. So perhaps questions around why his signing was targeted in the first instance as well as why he is not producing.

But when I've seen him playing, he's not looked like a running, attacking 10. VdW takes the ball to the line - Hickey doesn't. He's sat deep and done nothing.

And I know.... instructions from Cockerill etc., but VdW has looked more of a rounded 10 than Hickey for me.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:09 am

Ford, Brown, Kennedy and Hamilton confirmed as leaving.

Dell, Nayolo and Fowles also mentioned, but I think they were all already confirmed.

http://edinburghrugby.org/news/19/04/09 ... -announced

Was half expecting Ford to stay on until after the RWC.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:35 am

Frenchy wrote:Ford, Brown, Kennedy and Hamilton confirmed as leaving.

Dell, Nayolo and Fowles also mentioned, but I think they were all already confirmed.

http://edinburghrugby.org/news/19/04/09 ... -announced

Was half expecting Ford to stay on until after the RWC.

Ford has been a great servant to the club he deserves a proper send off (as does Brown another centurion).

EDIT: Offside line reporting on Ford "He is expected to hang up his boots and may take on a coaching role, having worked recently on strength and conditioning with Melrose."

Little bit disappointed to see Hamilton go but assume this is a budget decision.

Assume as he is not listed Hoyland is being retained and that would conclude our re-signing business.
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:40 am

Never had much love for Ford, hooe he get an appropriate send off and the salary he frees up gets used to strengthen the squad
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 am

Its a small thing but if we can get to the play off then Ford will get his 200th game.

I have always had a lot of time for Ford, he is a wholehearted player, very quiet and not really a captain but he does a lot of hard work. He doesnt do the flashy stuff but carries and tackles a lot in heavy traffic. He is also a pretty awesome scrummager who never got the credit he deserved when Murray and Nel in particular were hailed as world class. He kept going when he had offers elsewhere and we were a basket case, both the club and international team.

It doesnt actually say he is retiring but Im pretty sure he will be.

Hamilton to Glasgow would make a lot of sense. He could add a lot of power to their back row. Suppose that is the price we have to pay for re-signing Mata and Watson.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:56 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:
I have always had a lot of time for Ford, he is a wholehearted player, very quiet and not really a captain but he does a lot of hard work. He doesnt do the flashy stuff but carries and tackles a lot in heavy traffic. He is also a pretty awesome scrummager who never got the credit he deserved when Murray and Nel in particular were hailed as world class. He kept going when he had offers elsewhere and we were a basket case, both the club and international team.

It doesnt actually say he is retiring but Im pretty sure he will be.

:above:

This, all of it. I've read quotes over the years from Embra forwards about how much Fordy brings to the scrum.

He was playing really well before his injury at the start of last season, and we all know that these set backs take much more out of you once you're beyond the 30 mark.

Good luck to him, he seems a quiet, unassuming man who never chased stardom or big French or English wages, he just got on with his job. I remember him answering a question about what he'd be doing if it wasn't rugby and he answered "Iron Man" or something similar, so S&C seems to be a passion for him, I hope it brings him success.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:57 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Its a small thing but if we can get to the play off then Ford will get his 200th game.

My first thought when I read he was on 197 was that I hope he does get to 200. Little tangible difference between 197 and 200, but it is a milestone.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Rasho on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:58 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I am not saying it is mitigation for not getting game time and he has under perhaps under-performed but clearly we are not playing the style of game he was sold and thought he was coming to play. So perhaps questions around why his signing was targeted in the first instance as well as why he is not producing.

May be wrong, but my memory was that the away game in Monpellier was the change point. When VDW came on in that game, and since, the backline was sparked more (relative term) and we started to take it to them. Although Hickey fancies himself as that type of 10, VDW ended up showing more ability in an expansive game and, ironically, that may be part of the reason Hickey has been benched. Then Hickey didn't show up that well when he got chances again.
Rasho
Established pro

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Rasho wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:I am not saying it is mitigation for not getting game time and he has under perhaps under-performed but clearly we are not playing the style of game he was sold and thought he was coming to play. So perhaps questions around why his signing was targeted in the first instance as well as why he is not producing.

May be wrong, but my memory was that the away game in Monpellier was the change point. When VDW came on in that game, and since, the backline was sparked more (relative term) and we started to take it to them. Although Hickey fancies himself as that type of 10, VDW ended up showing more ability in an expansive game and, ironically, that may be part of the reason Hickey has been benched. Then Hickey didn't show up that well when he got chances again.

We may also have signed him as we needed a reliable goalkicker, but VDW has really transformed that part of his game from rotten last season to excellent now.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Anyone got the vid of Browns tackle on big Taq?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:09 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Anyone got the vid of Browns tackle on big Taq?

https://youtu.be/JvUAJubuSvg?t=81

Matt Scott's try after a lovely carry from CDP just before is also worth a review
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Sad to see Luke Hamilton go. He was a complete trouper for us in the first half of the season. I function of the ridiculous strength we have in the back row. Would have thought he would have been useful for another year over the RWC so hope he is making his way along the M8. He's not the biggest back rower but would be an asset to Warriors I'm sure.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:33 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Anyone got the vid of Browns tackle on big Taq?

https://youtu.be/JvUAJubuSvg?t=81

Matt Scott's try after a lovely carry from CDP just before is also worth a review

Cheers mate
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:38 pm

Good luck to them all, but sad to see Fordy,Brown and Hamilton ,in paricular go.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum