Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby doedin on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Taylor looks a real prospect and would like to see him come in and challenge for a starting slot. We really need Scott and Bennet back and playing to form.

I suspect out tactics are in part determined by the assets at our disposal, why try and play through midfield when ball is unlikely to get to our strike runners on wing and FB? Pyrgos is spot on with his box kicks usually and both Graham and VdM are good chasers so probably more likely to create a chance than trying to move ball through midfield? I suspect we might see a different approach when Scott and Bennet are back.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:27 pm

McCallum 2yr deal

Not much fanfare around the news from ER, but good to get him tied down looks a real talent
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:42 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:McCallum 2yr deal

Not much fanfare around the news from ER, but good to get him tied down looks a real talent

Agreed, props who are comfortable playing both sides are gold dust. I'm surprised we have not seen more of him this season? I know he was with the Scotland squad for the AI's but has he been injured since? Should get a run out against the Kings I would think.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:McCallum 2yr deal

I'm really chuffed to read that, I think he's a great prospect.

With him being 22, Schoeman 24 and Fenton 23, they could form the core of a very good young front row, and with CHH, Hogson and Atkinson in the boilerhouse and Crosbie, Bradbury, Ritchie, Miller and Wynn in the backrow we are well set for the future if we get these guys to fulfill their potentials.

Shiel is 21, van der Walt 24, Graham 21, Dean 24, Taylor 22, van der Merwe 23, Kinghorn 21

That's not a bad young team to be able to put out and only two of the backs are not currently starters. I hope we can keep them together and develop them over the next few years
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:38 pm

2 re-signings announced, 19 to deal with from those due to expire at the end of this season. Hope there will be some extensions from the 2020 camp as well (Bill, VdW, VdM, BBT, Nel, Rambo & Bradbury would be a great start).
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am

Wottie wrote:2 re-signings announced, 19 to deal with from those due to expire at the end of this season. Hope there will be some extensions from the 2020 camp as well (Bill, VdW, VdM, BBT, Nel, Rambo & Bradbury would be a great start).

With the best will in the world, the chances of Mata staying beyond his current contract are non-existent. He will get a hefty offer from elsewhere that he’s be nuts to turn down. He’s one of the most effective 8s in rugby and will be highly prized. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s bought out of his contract after the World Cup. We should enjoy him while he’s here.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:06 am

TheSmidge wrote:
Wottie wrote:2 re-signings announced, 19 to deal with from those due to expire at the end of this season. Hope there will be some extensions from the 2020 camp as well (Bill, VdW, VdM, BBT, Nel, Rambo & Bradbury would be a great start).

With the best will in the world, the chances of Mata staying beyond his current contract are non-existent. He will get a hefty offer from elsewhere that he’s be nuts to turn down. He’s one of the most effective 8s in rugby and will be highly prized. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s bought out of his contract after the World Cup. We should enjoy him while he’s here.

A perfectly feasible hypothesis, but then I also remember similar being said about Nel and Gilchrist in the past and they are both still here!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:44 am

Wottie wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:

A perfectly feasible hypothesis, but then I also remember similar being said about Nel and Gilchrist in the past and they are both still here!

Slightly different circumstances. I would imagine money could be found (up to a point) to reach a number that can retain a Scottish international especially key ones. That number should be lower for NSQ. We may not like that, but unfortunately that is the way the Scottish pro teams need to operate.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:44 am

Wottie wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:

To be fair, they wouldn't be here if they hadn't both had serious injuries.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:51 am

Nel and Gilchrist are Scottish though, there's more narrative there to stay. Nakarawa and Matawalu loved Glasgow but went the bigger deals came they went.

It's great McCallum has signed up and not only do we have a good young core in the current team but the exciting youngsters in 20s coming through too.

The future is bright - the future is (burnt) orange!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Mata extending his contract would be fantastic but I also think he will be offered bucket loads of cash from French and English clubs come the end of the season. I would be delighted if he saw out his contract with us. He was a risky signing with no previous pro union experience but obviously shone at the 7s game. However lots of guys have failed to make the transition from 7s and even less in such an attritional position as No 8. I believe the club had to work really hard with him in his early days in Embra as he was unfit, had injuries and homesick, so well done the club for helping him reach his potential. Hopefully he will recognise that and do the right thing for the club.

I just hope we see a good few more re-signing announcements over the next few weeks.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:40 pm

I’m going to demand a bit of balance from lady luck, we missed out on the chance to see Nasi Manu and Robbie Fruean in full flight for us, I’d like to see a first choice back row of Barclay, Watson and Mata playing for us until May 2021, Big Bill will move on then, he needs to in order for us to bring the young lads through, though I’ll be delighted if he stays, it would be a nice problem to have.

I think Ritchie, Crosbie and Bradbury getting the chance to play with JB regularly will take them up to the next level, Bradbury can do what Big Bill does and I see Ritchie as a potential Peter O’Mahony, who in my book is the best blindside in the world at the moment, Crosbie is just as exciting a prospect.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:32 pm

Fraser McKenzie extends his contract to 2021, good news
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:13 pm

Good to have him back and extend his stay key leader in the group particularly during internationals
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Lead up to a massive game on Friday a good time to announce some re-signings me think.

Watson and Graham prob top of the list
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum