Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:14 am

Being linked with the Kings hooker willemse for next season on twitter.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:50 am

Also on Twitter this morning that Allan Dell is off to London Irish.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/british-and-irish-lions-prop-to-join-london-irish
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 am

Hil wrote:Also on Twitter this morning that Allan Dell is off to London Irish.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/british-and-irish-lions-prop-to-join-london-irish

That's a shame from a squad depth point of view. Inevitable some are going to go though
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Being linked with the Kings hooker willemse for next season on twitter.

Squad player? Even assuming Ford's retiring we'd have McInally, Cherry and Fenton with a couple in the academy.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Makes sense, has a good grip on the Scotland shirt for now, but hard to maintain if he's behind Schoeman for the big games.

Sutherland could step in if he can stay injury free, but we'd need to recruit. Reid coming the other way? Another NSQ?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:07 pm

gowrie wrote:

Makes sense, has a good grip on the Scotland shirt for now, but hard to maintain if he's behind Schoeman for the big games.

Sutherland could step in if he can stay injury free, but we'd need to recruit. Reid coming the other way? Another NSQ?

As long as McCallum stays on the other side of the scrum
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Disco made a good point elsewhere. If Edinburgh do progress to a home quarter it will bring in a decent amount of cash, which could help keep / bring in players (I really wish it was clearer how the income and expenditure of the clubs is managed to see if this is true or if it just disappears into the SRU general pot), but it may also help with retention and recruitment if players can see that Edinburgh is on a journey to success that they might want to be a part of.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Being linked with the Kings hooker willemse for next season on twitter.

You would think it would make more sense to recruit another loosehead to replace Dell!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Didnt see that coming,but good luck to him at his new club; on form and injury free he is a very good player.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Bit of a surprise-presumably conditional on LI getting promotion?-but suggests more chances now for Sutherland and Marfo at loose head.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I’m going to demand a bit of balance from lady luck, we missed out on the chance to see Nasi Manu and Robbie Fruean in full flight for us, I’d like to see a first choice back row of Barclay, Watson and Mata playing for us until May 2021, Big Bill will move on then, he needs to in order for us to bring the young lads through, though I’ll be delighted if he stays, it would be a nice problem to have.

I think Ritchie, Crosbie and Bradbury getting the chance to play with JB regularly will take them up to the next level, Bradbury can do what Big Bill does and I see Ritchie as a potential Peter O’Mahony, who in my book is the best blindside in the world at the moment, Crosbie is just as exciting a prospect.

Wise words, as usual.

I am encouraged by what Cockers has been saying about BBM post-Toulon match, albeit it could be tactical. We do have an embarrassment of riches in the back row with more to come. But I'd see Bill as the one NSQ player whose contrihution is so immense that we should do everything we can to keep him after his current contract ends.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:21 pm

I take it Dell will be moving in the summer, not right now?

Can undersnd the logic, he is second choice and has potential to earn a lot more. Strange to say after last seals but LH is one posits we have real depth and hopefully we can use the budget to extend Graham, Kinghorn and the likes.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 pm

Can't understand going to LI unless there's a release clause. That's one year of Prem and then likely relegation.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:18 pm

gowrie wrote:

Wouldn't mind seeing Cosgrove come back. But Cockers knows we need 2 absolutely top class front rowers in each position if we are going to compete.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Some good news in the preview to the Glasgow game, John Barclay is running and must only be a few weeks away from playing
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum