Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
We've already signed Murray Douglas to cover the short-fall at lock during the World Cup!

So we have, I completely forgot about him.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Is anyone (prob RoyC!) able to do an updated squad list of who is out of contract in the summer? Im too thick/lazy to work it out and keep up with the releases.

he's still trying to convince himself about another budget cut.

I won't comment on the second sentence.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:08 pm

Well Magic Monday was pretty good fun, imagine they are wanting to create a bit more hype before Munster, probably to push us over the record, we reached 30K 10 days ago, need to find another 7,889 from somewhere.

Some leavers will probably be announced soon i imagine, Fowels, Kennedy, Hoyland, Brown, Ford. Maybe Hamilton or another back row, weegies seem to want Richie or Maggie but i don't see that happening. Fife possibly at risk too?

Kennedy and Hoyland are very popular in the squad and well liked, hope we don't loose too much as a club by letting them go, but you obviously can't use that as justification for letting them stay. Still, we've added some big characters this year - Schoeman and Barclay being.

Also, not to blow my own trumpet but...

STKS wrote:I can envisage us doing something like Bristol did this year with a crazy day of announcements that shows up all over social media right before season tickets go on sale.
STKS
International

Postby royc on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 pm

joe soap wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Is anyone (prob RoyC!) able to do an updated squad list of who is out of contract in the summer? Im too thick/lazy to work it out and keep up with the releases.

he's still trying to convince himself about another budget cut.

I won't comment on the second sentence.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A failure to increase the budget in line with squad wage inflation is... err... a cut by any other name! We've had one for 3 years now IIRC.

However, Cockers is making the budget work hard, as per today's signings...
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Maybe scrum half announcement being held back for ST launch. If we don't qualify for next season's big cup we'll all be in need of some good news around that time.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:29 pm

'Ere, Mr Cockers, I can't keep up with all these new signings!

It is brilliant that, for the second year in a row, the squad is just about done and dusted a month before end of season, what a change from many previous years! Cockers is a real steady hand at the tiller.

Very enthused by today's batch of signings and great in particular to have two speedy Gonzales fellows joining the back 3 - that's it, the box-kicking-led attack days have to be numbered! Hooray!

I make the current picture of the squad as follows:
Attachments
ER Squad 2019-20, as at 25 March 2019.png
ER Squad 2019-20, as at 25 March 2019.png (104.06 KiB) Viewed 4628 times
royc
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:39 pm

The D still like to see additional full back cover.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 pm

Seemingly Cockers very irritated with Sheebas attitude and small niggly injuries hampering his ability to be involved , he`s not getting his contract renewed.
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 pm

borderflanker wrote:Seemingly Cockers very irritated with Sheebas attitude and small niggly injuries hampering his ability to be involved , he`s not getting his contract renewed.

Sheeba?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Sheeba?

Don’t know but I’m guessing that could be Hoyland?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:43 pm

Wottie wrote:

Kennedy
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Cammo Gunner wrote:
Wottie wrote:

Kennedy

Makes sense with his number of appearances.

Frustrating really, he has plenty of ability but he hasn't consistently shown it.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:44 pm

I see royc has you covered on the squad composition for next season but if you fancy reading my thoughts on where things stand + the 2019/20 Depth Chart with just the confirmed players then click below:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8bm
disco
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:57 pm

disco wrote:I see royc has you covered on the squad composition for next season but if you fancy reading my thoughts on where things stand + the 2019/20 Depth Chart with just the confirmed players then click below:

Good analysis Disco and pretty much in line with my thoughts. We expect that CHH and big Pietro will re-sign, and that at least one scrum-half will be brought in. Though in the latter respect, I could see Frostwick becoming the 4th choice next year so only 1 signing would be needed.

If that all happens as expected, I can see the biggest gap being cover at 15. With both new Fijedinburghers (well, we need a version of Fiji-weegies) being primarily signed as wingers, I struggle to see Hoyland getting renewed. Fife has not been as effective a fill-in at 15 as hoped, with Brown looking more assured in his recent appearance. But they are both wingers who can cover 15. I'm not convinced that either Hoyland or Brown will be resigned, so I reckon we are in the market for someone who is a 15 first of all, and can play wing if needed, not the other way around.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
disco wrote:I see royc has you covered on the squad composition for next season but if you fancy reading my thoughts on where things stand + the 2019/20 Depth Chart with just the confirmed players then click below:

Good analysis Disco and pretty much in line with my thoughts. We expect that CHH and big Pietro will re-sign, and that at least one scrum-half will be brought in. Though in the latter respect, I could see Frostwick becoming the 4th choice next year so only 1 signing would be needed.

If that all happens as expected, I can see the biggest gap being cover at 15. With both new Fijedinburghers (well, we need a version of Fiji-weegies) being primarily signed as wingers, I struggle to see Hoyland getting renewed. Fife has not been as effective a fill-in at 15 as hoped, with Brown looking more assured in his recent appearance. But they are both wingers who can cover 15. I'm not convinced that either Hoyland or Brown will be resigned, so I reckon we are in the market for someone who is a 15 first of all, and can play wing if needed, not the other way around.

I'd agree - good analysis but mostly omits the need for full back cover.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum