Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby bigparahandy on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Kwagga Smith signing is an unconfirmed rumour and even at that is only apparently happening if he isn't selected for Springbok squad for the WC.
bigparahandy
Established pro

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:28 pm

BigD163 wrote:In the back row a lot will depend on whether they take Skinner and go 4 locks plus Skinner or 4 including Skinner.

Blade Thompson also plays that hybrid role of a lock/6/8, he's played those positions in Super Rugby and for the Maori ABs. Lock will be a competitive position, Scott Cummings showed very good carrying form in the latter stages of the season.
As things stand I think Gilcho, Gray, and probably Cummings are on the plane, with Toolis scrapping it out with Skinner and Thompson for the other seat, but it's all up for grabs in the four games we have against France and Georgia.

I had forgotten about Kwagga Smith coning to Edinburgh, I thought it was more than a rumour though, it was reported as being a done deal as long as he doesn't get selected for the world cup.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:53 am

Tichtheid wrote:
BigD163 wrote:In the back row a lot will depend on whether they take Skinner and go 4 locks plus Skinner or 4 including Skinner.

Blade Thompson also plays that hybrid role of a lock/6/8, he's played those positions in Super Rugby and for the Maori ABs. Lock will be a competitive position, Scott Cummings showed very good carrying form in the latter stages of the season.
As things stand I think Gilcho, Gray, and probably Cummings are on the plane, with Toolis scrapping it out with Skinner and Thompson for the other seat, but it's all up for grabs in the four games we have against France and Georgia.

I had forgotten about Kwagga Smith coning to Edinburgh, I thought it was more than a rumour though, it was reported as being a done deal as long as he doesn't get selected for the world cup.

Thompson hasn't played lock for a while though despite being able to do it. If he goes it will be as a 6/8 that can cover second row if really need be. In many ways he is the unknown as he could end up starting at 8 or miss the plane completely.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:52 am

Kwagga Smith named in the Springboks starting line up for this weekend’s match against the All Blacks. Suggests he has a decent shot at RWC squad. Match is live on Sky 8.35 on Saturday.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:28 pm

https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/2019 ... -announced

Stage 3 academy announced - interestingly no Jack Blain... Pro deal already like Kinghorn and Ritchie?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:49 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/2019/20-fosroc-scottish-rugby-academy-intake-announced

Stage 3 academy announced - interestingly no Jack Blain... Pro deal already like Kinghorn and Ritchie?

He's listed as a squad member on the Edinburgh site right enough
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/2019/20-fosroc-scottish-rugby-academy-intake-announced

He's listed as a squad member on the Edinburgh site right enough

Silly me - it says Jack Blain went pro on the linked press release. Interesting the club haven't announced that!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Henry Pyrgos has been released from the Scotland squad. He'll be dreadfully disappointed but it's good for Edinburgh.

Others released are Steyn, Grigg and Graham
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:03 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Henry Pyrgos has been released from the Scotland squad. He'll be dreadfully disappointed but it's good for Edinburgh.

Little bit surprised about Steyn.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:16 am

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Henry Pyrgos has been released from the Scotland squad. He'll be dreadfully disappointed but it's good for Edinburgh.

Little bit surprised about Steyn.

Suggests to me that Taylor is fit and raring to go and that Hutchinson has shown up well in camp. All good. It’s early days for Steyn, his time will come.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I agree Steyn is a good player but at the moment he is not in the league of Jones or Taylor and given thenightmare he had vs saracens on the wing he can’t really be 2xpected to play there.

Hopefully it means that Taylor is firing and able to offer cover for back 3.

Hutchinson is interesting, I think he might be worth the risk as a bolster who can cover a few positions too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 pm

So after a couple of great results for the Boks, who thinks Kwagga will still be available as world cup cover for Edinburgh?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 am

The Nudger wrote:So after a couple of great results for the Boks, who thinks Kwagga will still be available as world cup cover for Edinburgh?

It’s looking unlikely, but their captain, Kolisi, is due back this weekend, at least on the bench from where he is expected to get a few minutes. There are a couple of others due back soon, I believe, but Smith could still make it to Japan, or they possibly might want him to stay in shape as cover by playing in Edinburgh.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Eroni Sau left out of the Fiji squad for the RWC. Shame for him, but great news for us (albeit there's still time for people to get injured and him to get called up)
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm

​"Edinburgh have today secured the signing of Scotland U20 hooker Ewan Ashman on a short-term loan from Sale Sharks.
Ashman, 19 – who has earned 10 caps for the age-grade side – joins the capital club immediately as the squad this week began a four-day training camp in St Andrews.
The hooker was a key performer for Scotland U20 at the recent World Rugby U20 Championship in Argentina, scoring seven tries in five appearances to finish as the tournament’s top try-scorer."

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-club ... -term-loan

I'm usually a glass-half-full kind of guy, but I hope this doesn't mean Fenton, Cherry or Willemnse is injured - Cammy Fenton had bad luck with injuries last year iirc.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum