EDI v Scarlets – Fri 2nd Nov 1935 KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

EDI v Scarlets – Fri 2nd Nov 1935 KO

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:46 pm

May as well start a thread. Can’t see scope for many changes so likely a chance for redemption for the majority.

Suspect the respective performances of Fife and Graham will mean it is more likely that Graham remains with Scotland if required.

Not sure if Dean was injured when he departed, but along with Graham he looked our best back so I have gone on the assumption he is fit.

15. Dougie Fife
14. Tom Brown/Jamie Farndale
13. James Johnstone
12. Chris Dean
11. Duhan van der Merwe
10. Jaco Van de Walt (if fit?)
9. Henry Pyrgos (maybe Kennedy)

1. Pierre Schoeman
2. Ross Ford
3. Simon Berghan (if not away with Scotland)
4. Jamie Hodgson *
5. Callum Hunter-Hill
6. Luke Hamilton
7. Mungo Mason
8. Bill Mata
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: EDI v Scarlets – Fri 2nd Nov 1935 KO

Postby Weegie on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:00 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:May as well start a thread. Can’t see scope for many changes so likely a chance for redemption for the majority.

Suspect the respective performances of Fife and Graham will mean it is more likely that Graham remains with Scotland if required.

Not sure if Dean was injured when he departed, but along with Graham he looked our best back so I have gone on the assumption he is fit.

15. Dougie Fife
14. Tom Brown/Jamie Farndale
13. James Johnstone
12. Chris Dean
11. Duhan van der Merwe
10. Jaco Van de Walt (if fit?)
9. Henry Pyrgos (maybe Kennedy)

1. Pierre Schoeman
2. Ross Ford
3. Simon Berghan (if not away with Scotland)
4. Jamie Hodgson *
5. Callum Hunter-Hill
6. Luke Hamilton
7. Mungo Mason
8. Bill Mata

I'd rather have Brown at 15 and Fife on the wing.

I would like to see Kennedy start. I get the impression that when he comes on with a few minutes left he is desperate to make an impression. I don''t think he is really cutting it, which makes it seem odd I want him to start, but I think part of the issue is he tries too hard to make an impression in brief appearances.

Apart from that, it is almost a case of who is left standing.

If Ally Miller is not brought back from the 7s for the bench, then his career must be over as an Edinburgh player.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:58 pm

It is more naming who is available rather than selecting a team. I agree Kennedy shoudl have been on much quicker vs Zebre, it is hard for any 9 to play a full game, they cover so much ground, it wasnt fair on Pyrgos to leave it so late.

Not sure who if any we will get back this week. Would expect more back next week when the exiles can play.

We really need a decent performance if nothing else. This is a huge game for Ross Ford if he plays, he needs to show leadership and get some intent back if he is to have much of a future. Zebre very obviously targetted him when he wa carrying, he needs to be aware enough to step of tip the ball on.

We need to evolve our tactics a bit more too, too static and no variation of the 3 man pod. Need to move the ball more and occasionally go wide. Hickey needed to be calling the shots more and varying the play.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Fairly certain Pyrgos will need to be in Cardiff as scrum half cover (not bench) given Laidlaw woin't be available-thus Kennedy should get a start (or Fowles).
And we don't play next week-though the point about player availability may hopefully apply for our next fixture on 25th November (the day after the Argentina fixture).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:11 pm

liveinhope wrote:Fairly certain Pyrgos will need to be in Cardiff as scrum half cover (not bench) given Laidlaw woin't be available-thus Kennedy should get a start (or Fowles).
And we don't play next week-though the point about player availability may hopefully apply for our next fixture on 25th November (the day after the Argentina fixture).

Or Shiel?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:58 am

Darge, Miller and wynn training with squad.

Mckenzie expected back mid December

Carmichael still has concussion symptoms but training.

”This team has been full of journeymen that weren’t good enough so I’ve made a choice that young Scottish guys will get a chance to play and they get blooded into the team.

”You can look at it as all doom and gloom but actually threes a really good opportunity to get some Scottish guys playing here and I hope we front up on Friday and get something out of the game

https://scrummagazine.com/cockerill-bem ... ual-errors

EDIT

Luke Crosbie, meanwhile, has a broken jaw and will be out for around six weeks. Jaco van der Walt, who was ruled out of the Zebre match with a pulled hamstring, will not play on Friday but could be back by the end of next month. And Matt Scott, out of Scotland contention with concussion, will go through the customary protocols.

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-do ... ets-match/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:31 am

Lewis Wynne has been putting in some excellent shifts for Scottish, so delighted to see him get some recognition. Whether that translates into substantial game time, we'll see - sounds like it might. Big step up of course.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:04 am

If he is fit he will do well not to get game time for us over the next few weeks. He always looked a decent prospect.

I get what Cockers is saying about blooding youngsters but there does need to be a mix. I needs the likes of HIckey and Socino to step up and lead as they will be available when others are away. All part of building a squad.

I was just looking and Glasgow have 51 players in their squad, we only have 43. I dont have a huge issue with it and would rather we had quality than just extra bodies but we were always going to be stretched around this time.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:34 am

It's a good move to blood as many young guys as possible, not that there is much choice right enough, but it's better than short term "old head" signings.
It's early days but we have made a right pig's ear of the league so far. If we can get these young guys up to speed there is a chance we could "do a Connacht" next season and get off to a flier when the other sides will be very short of players right up to November and probably beyond.

I'm still hoping we make the top three in our conference, but we are making it difficult for ourselves.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Tichtheid wrote:It's a good move to blood as many young guys as possible, not that there is much choice right enough, but it's better than short term "old head" signings.

I agree, and I am not going to tell Cockerill how to do his job and accept we have perhaps more injuries than hoped, but I do wonder if some of the young players could have had more exposure before now. I appreciate a number got game time pre-season, but why not, for example, get CHH into match days squads and get the odd 15/20mins in a strong pack next to Gilchrist or Toolis and start building his experience rather than chucking him in, where with less than 40mins of Pro rugby, he is our most experienced 2nd row in the squad. Similarly I want to see Shiel get some game time but would prefer he gets the chance behind a strong pack rather than behind a potentially young and struggling pack.

We know we have a relatively small squad, and with a group of forwards that contain a lot of internationals, it feels like this situation was always a possibility and it could perhaps have been mitigated a bit better and experience built up gradually.

Note: I am not Alan Solomons! :evil: Bringing young players into a winning team is perhaps the one thing most fans think he got right….he just never really had the winning team to do it.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Like many on here I would like to see Sheil gert a chance,even if 15 mins off the bench.However,Friday night is not the time as we need every bit of experience we can muster so a combination of Kennedy and Fowles who each have at a guess at least 60 plus pro appearances each is really a must given the number of rookies likely to otherwise be in the 23.

Really is vital we pick up some points on Friday as if Edinburgh fail to make the Champions Cup next year my understanding is they/SRU will lose hundreds of thousands of pounds from the organisers .Its ironic that its far more important for us (or any club I suppose) to qualify for the following year's Champions Cup than qualify for the Cup knockout stages (though that in itself will bring prizemoney and gatemoney not really available from even a good Pro 14 run).Already we are going to have a tough job even to make the fourth place play-off(let alone be third) as things won't get much easier with all the fixtures during the 6N period when we'll likely lose more players than most of our opponents.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:41 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I was just looking and Glasgow have 51 players in their squad, we only have 43. I dont have a huge issue with it and would rather we had quality than just extra bodies but we were always going to be stretched around this time.

Is that not because they have some of their academy players on the website, while we don't?
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:45 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:If he is fit he will do well not to get game time for us over the next few weeks. He always looked a decent prospect.

I get what Cockers is saying about blooding youngsters but there does need to be a mix. I needs the likes of HIckey and Socino to step up and lead as they will be available when others are away. All part of building a squad.

I was just looking and Glasgow have 51 players in their squad, we only have 43. I dont have a huge issue with it and would rather we had quality than just extra bodies but we were always going to be stretched around this time.

I make it that Glasgow currently have 46 full-time players + 2 partnership contracts, with Edinburgh having 44 full-timers (for some reason George Taylor isn't listed on the official site but he's on a 1 year deal).
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:06 pm

disco wrote:I make it that Glasgow currently have 46 full-time players + 2 partnership contracts, with Edinburgh having 44 full-timers (for some reason George Taylor isn't listed on the official site but he's on a 1 year deal).

ER have 45 contracted (including George (edited from Alex) Taylor who is on an unknown term). In addition they are now showing Jamie Hodgson and Callum Atkinson on the website (Stage 3 Academy) and Jamie Farndale (7's?). So you can take it as ER having a squad of either 45 or 48 with Glasgow's at 46 or 48 (per disco's post).
Last edited by Wottie on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 pm

While I understand the talk of having experience in the squad, what sort of experience do we want? In all honesty, what we needed last week was experience of how to hold a lead when your backs are against the wall and how to squeeze home with a win when the opposition are fighting back. Most of the experience available to us this weekend is experience of how to fold under pressure.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum