EDI v Scarlets – Fri 2nd Nov 1935 KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: EDI v Scarlets – Fri 2nd Nov 1935 KO

Postby Wottie on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Surely it'll be Mungo Mason who played Vs Zebre and preseason? Ally Miller is full time with the sevens now so you've got to think as he's released early Cockers just doesn't rate him.

Perhaps not FKL? :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:38 pm

biffer wrote:While I understand the talk of having experience in the squad, what sort of experience do we want? Most of the experience available to us this weekend is experience of how to fold under pressure.

:lol:

We'll still have experienced losers this week-end but with all that youth, you can expect a change.
I would rather have Mata in the second row to help us there. But we'll see. Huge ask again for Hunter Hill, Hogdson and Atkinson.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:20 am

Cockerill naming those he sees as senior and expecting to lead by example.

“Sometimes when you have a lot of young guys in the one team you don’t get that, but I want the senior guys to step up. I want everybody in the team to take responsibility for their performance and we’ll see where we get to, but guys like [Henry] Pyrgos and [Simon] Hickey, Chris Dean, Tom Brown, Dougie Fife – they’ve got to take responsibility. Luke Hamilton, Viliame Mata – Ross Ford is the most capped Scotsman of all time, he’s got to step up and lead from the front in how he plays. That’s nothing new. That’s just normal.”
https://theoffsideline.com/cockerills-skeleton-crew/

Will be interesting to see how Ally Miller goes he was a real prospect at U20 but has obviously not been able to make the breakthrough at pro level, he has a chance tonight to prove that we can make the grade at Pro14 level I hope he grabs it even if out of position.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am

“I’d never even heard of him until Monday,”

Cockerill on Lewis Wynne - this scheduling malarkey is going well, eh?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:09 am

I thought Wynne was on Glasgow's books?
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:14 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Will be interesting to see how Ally Miller goes he was a real prospect at U20 but has obviously not been able to make the breakthrough at pro level, he has a chance tonight to prove that we can make the grade at Pro14 level I hope he grabs it even if out of position.

It will indeed. He will no doubt have bulked down a bit and focused on fitness and speed with the 7's. He was pretty rapid as an 8 so will be interesting to see how he goes at openside. Would he grasps the chance. He's waited long enough for it.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:19 am

Wottie wrote:I thought Wynne was on Glasgow's books?

Strange isn't it, Glasgow player on loan at LS benching for Edinburgh - probably playing for an Edinburgh deal!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:21 am

Wynne appears to have been included as he has more experience than any other fit and available back rows at present.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:26 am

Tichtheid wrote:“I’d never even heard of him until Monday,”

Cockerill on Lewis Wynne - this scheduling malarkey is going well, eh?

I think the scheduling is really poor bearing in mind 4 of the unions that run the league are having out of window test matches. I really hope this match and taking nothing form the Zebre game is not the difference between us qualifying for the champions cup or not this season especially given we have one less home game this season.

I certainly don't want to see the league boasting about the number of internationals in it when a huge chunk are away playing in them instead of the league fixtures.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:52 am

The Feral Goat wrote:I think the scheduling is really poor bearing in mind 4 of the unions that run the league are having out of window test matches. I really hope this match and taking nothing form the Zebre game is not the difference between us qualifying for the champions cup or not this season especially given we have one less home game this season.

:above: This with bells on it. When you only have 2 pro teams, we should not be getting involved in "out of window" internationals. Suicidal stuff really and if we don't take points from these games during the AI's it certainly will be the difference at season end. It would be a disaster if we dropped back into the challenge cup!
Last edited by Wottie on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby bigparahandy on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:01 pm

I was a bit confused about Lewis Wynne's eligibility to play for Edinburgh seeing as he would appear to be a Glasgow player on loan at London Scottish and had a wee look at the Pro14 competition rules, where it states-

6. No player may represent a Team in the Guinness PRO14 unless he is a registered playing member of that Team, or a permit has been granted for him to play for that Team in the Guinness PRO14.

I assume therefore that Edinburgh have complied with that requirement. Right???
bigparahandy
Established pro

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Another aspect is the potential cash impact beyond the short term gain.

The SRU are reported to be getting a seven figure sum for the Wales match, less half a “six figure” sum to the Doddie Weir fund, which given their reluctance to give anything lets assume it is £50k (or call it 1 NDA), and the travel costs etc for the match which won’t be insignificant so lets assume the SRU may come away with close to £1m from the game

I think I read the difference between Champions cup and Challenge cup campaign was £300K-400k so still in credit should we fail to qualify. But I can see there being a pretty big impact on ticket sales at ER. We had a decent crowd for the Toulon game and suspect we will for our other home games. We have also seen a number of new sponsors come on board since being back in the Champions cup and ST sales look to have risen ahead of moving to the back pitches. I am fairly confident we will see a revised pricing structure for Minifield with price rises and more tiers but if we are back in the challenge cup I can see that having a negative impact on sales and therefore overall revenue across the season.

It is a big gamble from the SRU.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:41 pm

There is a new sponsor coming in for the 2020 6N, the unions shot themselves in the foot for next year's tournament by being greedy, this game is to make up that shortfall. Next year we have the world cup, I can't see this out of window game being repeated, no matter what happens with the global calendar that is being proposed.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Wottie wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:I think the scheduling is really poor bearing in mind 4 of the unions that run the league are having out of window test matches. I really hope this match and taking nothing form the Zebre game is not the difference between us qualifying for the champions cup or not this season especially given we have one less home game this season.

:above: This with bells on it. When you only have 2 pro teams, we should not be getting involved in "out of window" internationals. Suicidal stuff really and if we don't take points from these games during the AI's it certainly will be the difference at season end. It would be a disaster if we dropped back into the challenge cup!

100% in agreement with you both on this one.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Weegie wrote:I'm not understanding that back row selection. Wynne is a 7, Miller has rarely played there. I get it there is hardly anyone left standing, but why not start Wynne at 7, and have Miller the natural 8 on the bench to cover the whole back row.

I think Cockers is just starting with the player here that he's actually seen play.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum