EDI v Scarlets – Fri 2nd Nov 1935 KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: EDI v Scarlets – Fri 2nd Nov 1935 KO

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Tichtheid wrote:There is a new sponsor coming in for the 2020 6N, the unions shot themselves in the foot for next year's tournament by being greedy, this game is to make up that shortfall. Next year we have the world cup, I can't see this out of window game being repeated, no matter what happens with the global calendar that is being proposed.

England and Wales have had a fourth test for a few years now.

I think you're being optimistic TH, this is here to stay I reckon.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Familiar pattern this season, Edinburgh much better than their opponents then let them back in all too easily
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Phew, great win for the boys.

The young guys did well, there were mistakes and problems but for now I'm happy to take five points from a side that the Scarlets' forum were very confident in.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Smashing TBP win by Cockers' scratch side, who would have bet on that? Strong showing by the front 5 in particular, PIetro C and the young guys in the 2nd row did surprisingly well. Very good stints by the back row too, both Hamilton and Miller showed very well and Mata was once again excellent.

I loved Ford's tackle on Fonatia, that was a real try saver, well done that boy.

The backs are being a bit out-paced again by fast attackers but we held out, unlike v Zebre.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Excellent win by the boys! 5 points against a Scarlets team is a good result.

Pyrgos runs the game for us and gets us into all the right areas. The difference between his game management and SHC on the night was huge and justifies the decision to let SHC go and bring Pyrgos in.

Pack dominant and win the game for us. I thought the young guys were excellent and they showed they are better than what we saw in 2nd half last week. HH and Hodgeson stepped up to the mark and carried all night long. Ally Miller was excellent in back row and Cockerill acknowledged in post match interview that perhaps he has misjudged him by 'sending him off to the 7s team'. Good that he admitted he has perhaps got it wrong and he is a better player than he thought. Ford looked more on his game and made a fantastic covering tackle on their centre when he looked like he was in for a score. Mata was his usual self and Hamilton just worked his socks off. All 8 plus subs played their part.

Backs still a bit disjointed at times but they attacked the line with more aggression this week, VdM looks like he had had a rocket up his ars3 and did lots more work off his wing. Pleased for Tom Brown on his return. Dean looks so much more comfortable at 12 than at 13 and he did some really good stuff, always surprised that he is usually subbed early in 2nd half.

Ok we made a few mistakes again to let them score but at least we didnt panic like last week and the decision making to go on and win the game was spot on.

Given where we are in the Cockerill master plan we are going to have ups and downs like the last couple of weeks. There is lots more work to do with the squad and with bringing the young guys through but our strength in depth is getting better!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Massive result, a really good win but frustrating that a performance like that from largely the same team was awol last week.

For anyone that complains of NSQ signings I thought Mata and Schoeman were immense again tonight. Big shifts from CHH and Miller as well. Hodgson and Hamilton good and Tom Brown threw himself in without a care for his own well being as usual.

Good win
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:20 pm

Scrappy but satisfying ! Some real shifts put in as already identified. Hamilton, while no Mata, is really showing up well now. And no surprise Ford needed to go off after that Berghanesque tackle . . .

Nice to see 4 players with strong LS links finishing a PRO14 game, and on the winning side ! :)
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:22 pm

Very pleased with the attitude when under pressure. Thought young Miller and the other tyros were excellent and the leaders led this week.

Some thoughts here: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:53 am

Chris Dean really frustrates me sometimes because he can do it all. He can be effective on the crash, he can beat people with a step, he can make good decisions and the right pass but be doesn't do it all in the same game. Tom Brown's second try he passed it too early without fixing the man and gave Mata more to do. He could be so, so good but he just can't seem to put it all together!

Great win, great bounceback. CHH and Miller showed what they're made of which is great.

How excited is everyone to watch Mata, Naka, Radrada and Yato throw it about at BTM next week? I fancy Fiji to win!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:19 am

Thoroughly deserved win from a game which we surprisingly (to me anyway) dominated pretty much throughout. Apart from the spell of pressure at the start of the second half, the Scarlets were hardly in our 22 all game. The frustrating thing is that almost every time they got into our 22 they scored a try; poor defence or good attacking play I couldn't say, but our defence isn't quite solid enough yet. But lots of positives, as others have commented. The young players that came in performed really well, and I thought Hickey had a good game at 10. He's not found a way to make many breaks himself yet, but his distribution and kicking game were both very good.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:01 am

Good report Martin.

@FKL, Dean has, imo, improved massively in the last 18 months, he is very good over the ball and seems to find runnng lines that other can’t. His distribution from 13 seemed to be poor but for some reason he is much better in that department at 12. Will he keep improving and become international class? I hope so.

@ CG we have, again imo, two fly halves with really good kicking and attacking skills, unfortunately not in the same player. If Hickey can start breaking a line and vdWalt can learn how to manage a game with his boot, we’ll do okay.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:57 am

What a difference a week makes;some of that in Parma last week would have had us in second spot in our conference,but I will take any bonus point win or win for that matter.Edinburgh with a scratch team played really really well,but Pyrgos has to learn how to tackle,we are getting there but still giving away to many soft tries;hopefully we can improve dramatically in this department.If we do, we have the makings of a very competitive outfit and results in our favour will definitely follow. Thought the crowd was pretty good last night,thought the Forwards were excellent and tbh for most of that match we played them off the park.Proud of the way the guys picked themselves up from last week,and really happy how the less experienced guys dug in deep and kept up to the pace.A real team performance;but Mata,big Piere,Hamilton,Fordy and Tom Brown stood out.Well done to you all,onwards and upwards.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 pm

So after our 1st proper look at Ally Miller have we got ourselves our very own Richie Vernon? Looks to have proper gas for a big guy and his line out work was perfect bar one he let slip through his hands at the end of the game. Be good to see a bit more of him but that was a pretty impressive debut.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:52 pm

For me the man of the match was Ross Ford. The way he accelerated to catch up Fionata was incredible and saved what looked a certain try.Extraordinary effort for an 18st 34 yo forward! If that is the new Edinburgh attitude then we're in for interesting times.
Oh and well done the young second rows-amazing the difference a week makes!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Good report Martin.

@FKL, Dean has, imo, improved massively in the last 18 months, he is very good over the ball and seems to find runnng lines that other can’t. His distribution from 13 seemed to be poor but for some reason he is much better in that department at 12. Will he keep improving and become international class? I hope so.

@ CG we have, again imo, two fly halves with really good kicking and attacking skills, unfortunately not in the same player. If Hickey can start breaking a line and vdWalt can learn how to manage a game with his boot, we’ll do okay.

I agree, I'm being harsh on him because he's shown he can and his improvement is down to hard work. He's so close to being an ideal 12 and I hope he puts it all together and make it.

I agree with your assessment of the 10s too. Horses for courses, play Hickey in the tighter matches and Jaco in the more open games.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum