Jonny Petrie

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Jonny Petrie

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:36 pm

...has left Edinburgh and signed as CEO of Ulster
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Jonny Petrie

Postby Wottie on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Meh! Literally just checked my calendar to make sure it wasn't April the 1st.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Wottie wrote:Meh! Literally just checked my calendar to make sure it wasn't April the 1st.

The part that bothers me is that it seems to be an indication of the fact that we are trailing behind in terms of funding
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Given club appears to be on an upward trajectory it is a bit of a kick in the plums. Could be fed up of the SRU, although ulster has been in a right mess of late, plenty of challenge in his new role as well.

Hopefully he does not use his inside knowledge to attract some players across after him.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Wottie wrote:Meh! Literally just checked my calendar to make sure it wasn't April the 1st.

The part that bothers me is that it seems to be an indication of the fact that we are trailing behind in terms of funding

It may bother you but that is hardly a surprise and 'twas ever thus!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:22 pm

Gary!PA will be inconsolable :lol:
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Wottie wrote:Gary!PA will be inconsolable :lol:

Gutted all the best JP

Sums the man up he's leaving at this point in the season
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Are you having a laugh Gary? :)
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Ron wrote:Are you having a laugh Gary? :)

No, just offering to carry his bags
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:40 pm

Hard to know where Petrie and Bombrys have done well and where the corporate SRU overlords have done well.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:15 am

It is difficult to know as you say, he seems to have done ok, but he has been given more resource and support than before.

I think where Brombys has done well is in making himself available and accountable to fans, at times playing up to them and deflecting blame away from GW. Petrie never really did that, he did make himself available but there always seemed to be something in the background not quite working, Myrside being the main one, we said one thing then swung around and did another.

He must be well enough thought of to be wanted by Ulster.

It depends on the job description but if it is to be a figurehead, appealing to fans and sponsors and being the public face, then we could do worse than Hugo Southwell. If we want someone to actually run ER as a business then it probably shouldnt be an ex player, but funny how these roles often fall to them.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Party Line on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:19 am

I think it's a decision that he will quickly learn to regret, the politics and Bullshit at that club in particular seem to be excessive.
The Party Line
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:27 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:It depends on the job description but if it is to be a figurehead, appealing to fans and sponsors and being the public face, then we could do worse than Hugo Southwell. If we want someone to actually run ER as a business then it probably shouldnt be an ex player, but funny how these roles often fall to them.

What is Keith Russell doing these days...

Not sure about the ex-player route, would not be surprised to see someone Cockerill has known from his Leicester days come in. Whoever it is needs to be a strong character to deal with Dodson on one side and Cockerill the other.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:59 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:It depends on the job description but if it is to be a figurehead, appealing to fans and sponsors and being the public face, then we could do worse than Hugo Southwell. If we want someone to actually run ER as a business then it probably shouldnt be an ex player, but funny how these roles often fall to them.

Not sure about the ex-player route, would not be surprised to see someone Cockerill has known from his Leicester days come in. Whoever it is needs to be a strong character to deal with Dodson on one side and Cockerill the other.

I hope the Russell comment was a joke.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:10 pm

Weegie wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

I hope the Russell comment was a joke.

:) it was

Although taking the recent history out of the picture, I think he has the sort of track record and skillset that would have done a good job in the role, but unfortunately that bridge is well and truly burned.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum