Munster v Edinburgh Fri 30th Nov

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Munster v Edinburgh Fri 30th Nov

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:58 pm

The Chiel wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
I was talking to someone in the pub when Harry Leonard first signed, he had coached Leonard at school and the opinion was that he was not a Cipriani, but he was a brilliant game-manager who took instruction well, I think he's with Yorkshire Carnegie now.

Leonard is now down another league at Rosslyn Park in English Nat 1. Not sure been he's playing much this season, but may have been injured. On the bench last Saturday.

He'll end up back in Brighton at that rate!

Shame, but pro sport doesn't come with sympathy I suppose
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Off the top of my head, I've probably missed some - Sutherland, Cosgrove, Rambo conversion, Berghan (young for a prop), Toolis x2, Ritchie, Bradbury, Sam H-C, various flyhalfs, Dean, Hoyland, Kinghorn - all brought on by Solly at a young age

I could say Turner, too. but he never really got a sustained shot at it.

Cosgrove - left, AToolis - left, SHC - left, various flyhalfs - jamesmatthew & left.

Dean, Kinghorn, Bradbury and Ritchie were all standout age grade players destined for the top.

He didn't do a good job at all.

Your premise was that Solomons didn't blood young players, I'd say that he did blood young players, whether or not they turned out to be any good or left the club is surely a different question?

Maybe but I'm not sure. The idea is they form the spine of the side and then move on when they've outgrown us not leave without much success.

For me the strategy should always be youth development first. That's the only way we can be competitive in this league.

Of course Solly played young players but his strategy was build a good team first. For me it's self defeating. It's hyperbole to say he didn't play young players but he should have trusted them.

It's not just his fault. Scott Johnson and Mark Dodson have questions to answer about it as well.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 pm

From what we've gleaned since, Solly's, and by extension the SRU's, failure was to not stuff most of Edinburgh rugby into Mons Meg and fire them into the Forth.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 pm

Tichtheid wrote:From what we've gleaned since, Solly's, and by extension the SRU's, failure was to not stuff most of Edinburgh rugby into Mons Meg and fire them into the Forth.

Tried that, LawrenceBryce it up, Wicus Blaauw was last in and blocked the bore.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:42 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Cosgrove got a chance here and was doing ok, he has gone elsewhere (from memory we wantd him to stay) and is doing ok.

was made clear he was 4th choice, so he made the understandable decision to move on. Did he not go to London Scottish first or did I imagine that? Then Bristol, which is close to where he comes from
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm

joe soap wrote: . Did he not go to London Scottish first or did I imagine that?

He played for Scottish, but was still an Edinburgh player IIRC. Back in the Lineen days at LS when a number of players came down on loan from the pro sides.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Now with Worcester having been at Bristol.
doedin
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum