Munster v Edinburgh Fri 30th Nov

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Munster v Edinburgh Fri 30th Nov

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:05 am

Not much guess work involved in trying to pick a team this week

Marfo to feature I imagine Schoeman will be rested ahead of Newcastle. No Toolis, Wynne to start and Nayalo on bench

Can see McCallum starting

https://theoffsideline.com/richard-cock ... -priority/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Munster v Edinburgh Fri 30th Nov

Postby The Chiel on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am

Read somewhere - might have been Rob Robertson on Twitter - that Marfo will be on the bench
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:32 am

The Chiel wrote:Read somewhere - might have been Rob Robertson on Twitter - that Marfo will be on the bench

That was my take as well Sutherland to start, Marfo bench and then Schoeman and Dell to come in for Newcastle.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:49 pm

Wonder if we might see Taylor this week, he'd be good for the 23 shirt since he can also cover wing.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

That's a young looking side....
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:10 pm

biffer wrote:That's a young looking side....

Well, it'll be a learning experience.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Head Coach Richard Cockerill has named a reshuffled starting XV for tomorrow night's Guinness PRO14 match against Munster at Irish Independent Park (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports 2.

With several first team regulars injured or being rested following the Autumn Internationals, the team selection sees nine changes from the side that faced Dragons at Rodney Parade last Sunday evening.

Fosroc Scottish Rugby Academy graduate George Taylor is named at outside centre to make his competitive debut for the club, whilst a new-look half-back pairing sees Nathan Fowles and Jaco van der Walt selected in the starting line-up.

Elsewhere, internationalists Tom Brown and Juan Pablo Socino return to action at wing and inside-centre respectively to complete a revamped backline.

In the forward pack, Cockerill fields a fresh front-row trio of Rory Sutherland, David Cherry and Murray McCallum, whilst Lewis Wynne – who featured from the bench against both Scarlets and Dragons – makes his first start for the club in the back-row.

Ahead of the fixture, Head Coach Richard Cockerill, said: “We’ve got a young group again, but part of our development as a squad is that we have got to put people in a position to grow.

“It’s been a tight turnaround with regards to training, but we have prepared as well as we can and we will travel with the mindset to win."

In the back-three, Dougie Fife and Duhan van der Merwe continue at fullback and wing respectively, with Scotland internationalist Brown selected on the opposite flank.

Taylor – who signed his first professional deal in May – is named alongside Socino in midfield, whilst Fowles and Van der Valt start at half-back.

McCallum and Sutherland – both replacements in last weekend’s defeat to Dragons – pack down alongside Cherry in the front-row, with promising locks Jamie Hodgson and Callum Hunter-Hill once again named in the second-row.

The inclusion of Wynne is the only alteration to an otherwise unchanged back-row with Luke Hamilton – who captains the side – and Ally Miller completing the starting line-up.

Elsewhere summer signing, Senitiki Nayalo – who if involved would make his first competitive appearance for the club – and Scotland internationalist Darryl Marfo are named amongst the replacements.

Edinburgh team to face Munster at Irish Independent Park in the Guinness PRO14 on Friday 30 November, kick-off 7.35pm – live on Premier Sports

15. Dougie Fife (117)

14. Tom Brown (115)

13. George Taylor*

12. Juan Pablo Socino (7)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (26)

10. Jaco van der Walt (23)

9. Nathan Fowles (61)

1. Rory Sutherland (69)

2. David Cherry (5)

3. Murray McCallum (45)

4. James Hodgson (3)

5. Callum Hunter-Hill (5)

6. Ally Miller (2)

7. Lewis Wynne (2)

8. Luke Hamilton (9) CAPTAIN

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (188); 17. Darryl Marfo (10); 18. Pietro Ceccarelli (3); 19. Callum Atkinson (2); 20. Senitiki Nayalo*; 21. Sean Kennedy (65); 22. Jason Baggott* 23. Chris Dean (74)

Unavailable due to injury: Cameron Fenton; Fraser McKenzie; Lewis Carmichael; John Barclay; Magnus Bradbury; Luke Crosbie; Matt Scott; Mark Bennett; Damien Hoyland
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Look forward to seeing how Taylor goes looked handy in the pre-season matches.

Marfo has had some public criticism from Cockerill hope he takes a leaf out of Millers book and proves him wrong when given an opportunity.

Think focus on performance rather than result for this one, needs to be much improved over last week and if it is will see if we get anything out of the game.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:34 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
biffer wrote:That's a young looking side....

Well, it'll be a learning experience.

This.

Bit surprised the 7s expert Miller is at 6, and Wynne, who has played most of his rugby for Scottish this season at 6, is wearing 7. However I doubt that will be the difference between winning and losing :)

Good to see Hamilton rewarded with the captaincy, even in such a inexperienced side. The jury is still out on whether he's genuine international class at 6 or 8, but he's carried really willingly all season.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:52 pm

And Munster look to be starting just about their strongest team (with the exception of C.J.Stander!)
Oh well just have to look on this as a learning experience for the younger players.
It was vital that we won at Dragons with this match scheduled. As I've posted earlier in the season the irony is that a good run in Europe doesn't help us at all towards qualifying for next season's Heineken Cup-and hugely important to qualify to get the money for this-possibly 600k?-otherwise nothing available from SRU in turn to increase budgets to allow us to have a stronger squad during international windows/injury cover. Vicious circle that whilst Newcastle fixtures etc are the glamour games the money will come from picking up (enough) league points to make the top 3/4.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:53 pm

liveinhope wrote:And Munster look to be starting just about their strongest team (with the exception of C.J.Stander!)
Oh well just have to look on this as a learning experience for the younger players.
It was vital that we won at Dragons with this match scheduled. As I've posted earlier in the season the irony is that a good run in Europe doesn't help us at all towards qualifying for next season's Heineken Cup-and hugely important to qualify to get the money for this-possibly 600k?-otherwise nothing available from SRU in turn to increase budgets to allow us to have a stronger squad during international windows/injury cover. Vicious circle that whilst Newcastle fixtures etc are the glamour games the money will come from picking up (enough) league points to make the top 3/4.

Peter O’Mahony captains the side with Andrew Conway, Keith Earls, Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan and Tadhg Beirne all starting on their return from international duty.

There are 11 changes to the side that secured a bonus-point win away to Zebre on Sunday as Munster look to make it five wins in a row.

Mike Haley keeps his place at full-back with wingers Conway and Earls completing the back three.

Chris Farrell makes his first start of the season alongside Rory Scannell in the centres.

JJ Hanrahan wears 10 with Conor Murray also making his first start of the season at scrum-half.

It’s all change in the front five as Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell and Ryan come into the front row with Ryan making his 13oth appearance for the province.

Billy Holland and Beirne start in the engine room with Chris Cloete and Arno Botha keeping their places in the side as captain O’Mahony completes the back row.

Sammy Arnold, who made his Ireland debut last week, is among the replacements along with Academy man Gavin Coombes.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Tadhg Beirne, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Ciaran Parker, Fineen Wycherley, Gavin Coombes, Duncan Williams, Tyler Bleyendaal, Sammy Arnold.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm

On top of the Scotland boys getting their week's holiday Cockerill has chosen to rest Schoeman, Mata, Pyrgos and Hickey. I think Graham also as he didn't really play enough to fall into the Scotland rest protocols. For Edinburgh it should hopefully mean they go into those Newcastle games fully loaded - looking like at least 14 changes for next week. It does mean it's going to make it even tougher for the young lads out on Friday night though.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:26 pm

disco wrote:On top of the Scotland boys getting their week's holiday Cockerill has chosen to rest Schoeman, Mata, Pyrgos and Hickey. I think Graham also as he didn't really play enough to fall into the Scotland rest protocols. For Edinburgh it should hopefully mean they go into those Newcastle games fully loaded - looking like at least 14 changes for next week. It does mean it's going to make it even tougher for the young lads out on Friday night though.

While I appreciate Mata is not captured by the Scotland rest protocols, more than anyone, I think he needs a bit of rest time, put in a huge amount of work for ER so far this season and then Fiji the last few weeks. Need him fresh to wreak havoc against Newcastle and Glasgow over the coming month :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:39 pm

As a happy clappy rose-tinted spectacles sort when it comes to Edinburgh, I think the best we can hope for tomorrow is that no one gets injured

If Munster haven't secured the BP by half time I'll eat my hat
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Tichtheid wrote:As a happy clappy rose-tinted spectacles sort when it comes to Edinburgh, I think the best we can hope for tomorrow is that no one gets injured

If Munster haven't secured the BP by half time I'll eat my hat

Yes agree no more injuries please. Bookies giving us a +25 handicap :eek:

Jamie Hodgson a stage 2 academy up against Beirne one of the form 2nd rows, Miller in his 3rd pro match v an in from POM big learning experiences coming up.

I think we will really struggle at the breakdown against that Munster 2nd and backrow and it will be a long 80mins on the back of it.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum