Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby BigD163 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:12 pm

The Chiel wrote:The front row "tackle of the season" competition is pretty hot this year. Cherry's entry perhaps not quite up there with Berghan or Ford in terms of yards covered, but was every bit as important in not allowing Falcons back into the game.

Edit - after watching it again, I take it back about the amount of yards covered.
https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 6534355972

Radwan is one of the quickest around. Any tackle in that situation is impressive but that's a cracker.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Frenchy wrote:Anyone found highlights that include Dean's try?

Unfortunately not, I have just watched some highlights on youtube and the last try reminded me of one of the reasons Duhan van der Merwe was so good last year, he was on the end of several lovely chips through from SH-C, van der Walt's kick through for Kinghorn to score was beautifully weighted and timed.

I'd like to see Pyrgos do these more

I'd like to see Duhan used more as a strike runner in midfield. There are so many plays we could run using him or using him as a decoy.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Agree, we used to use Visser very effectively off 10 and 12, often first phase. Very effctive.

So who is better Visser or VDM? I think it is close, but Visser just had a nose for a try and a bit more pace, VDM has a lot more power though, both a bit dodgy in defence!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Kinghorn played first receiver quite a lot last year - see his try v Quins. There are several options - Kinghorn, VDM for power and Darcy Graham for pace

If we get Scott back this week he and Dean could get a good partnership going in the midfield.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Just thinking about it we could really have done with Phil Burleigh this year, his distribution from 12 would have worked well and maybe we would see more from Hickey?

In the past few years he was a bit redundant, he had very few worth distributing to!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Weather was awful but a decent second half and overall result.

On Pyrgos – I don’t think he was MotM (Mata 27 carries for 114m plus a sweet offload for a try) but he did control the game well and has box kicks were for the most part well placed for us to compete for. His pass in traffic to Dean for his try was good picking the right time to go wider after a series of pick and goes. I do get frustrated at the time taken to get the ball away on occasion either by pass or boot, but in Fridays conditions he kept us in the right areas.

I am sure he is playing to plan but I would like to see him play what is in front of him more often, there were a couple of opportunities to get a pass away quickly off front foot ball but it looked like he had already decide to box kick to plan. I am not saying run everything but when there is quick ball and numbers advantage with the back 3 we have I would like to us threatening more. Hopefully we may see this in better conditions.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:14 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Weather was awful but a decent second half and overall result.

On Pyrgos – I don’t think he was MotM (Mata 27 carries for 114m plus a sweet offload for a try) but he did control the game well and has box kicks were for the most part well placed for us to compete for. His pass in traffic to Dean for his try was good picking the right time to go wider after a series of pick and goes. I do get frustrated at the time taken to get the ball away on occasion either by pass or boot, but in Fridays conditions he kept us in the right areas.

I am sure he is playing to plan but I would like to see him play what is in front of him more often, there were a couple of opportunities to get a pass away quickly off front foot ball but it looked like he had already decide to box kick to plan. I am not saying run everything but when there is quick ball and numbers advantage with the back 3 we have I would like to us threatening more. Hopefully we may see this in better conditions.

Agree entirely. This was a game we would have easily lost in the past due to lack of control at 9 and 10. Pyrgos played the right game in first half, obviously working to orders and then got us moving in the second half. Given the conditions it was never going to be a running game but we knew we would wear them down up front and eventually chances would come.

It wasn't pretty and our skills let us down badly in the first half but we won and got the TBP playing controlled game.

Having watched Pyrgos play for the Weegies he is more than capable of playing a fast running game, he showed that on numerous occasions for them. However we don't yet have the skill set in the backs to do what they do, we have to pick our moments and Pyrgos does that very well for us.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:17 pm

biffer wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
Frenchy wrote:Anyone found highlights that include Dean's try?

Unfortunately not, I have just watched some highlights on youtube and the last try reminded me of one of the reasons Duhan van der Merwe was so good last year, he was on the end of several lovely chips through from SH-C, van der Walt's kick through for Kinghorn to score was beautifully weighted and timed.

I'd like to see Pyrgos do these more

On EPCr Facebook now.

Ta. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq41Um7R870

Dean did very well.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm prepared to give the players something of a free pass for the first half - first time they'd played together for a month given international commitments, so there might have been a wee bit of rust to be knocked off.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 pm

biffer wrote:I'm prepared to give the players something of a free pass for the first half - first time they'd played together for a month given international commitments, so there might have been a wee bit of rust to be knocked off.

That’s the excuses done for, this week it’d better be Falcons they are knocking off their perches.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum