Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby disco on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:22 pm

doedin wrote:It does make a mockery of the game and more so for ticket paying supporters and subscription paying TV viewers. Surely they should be allowed to bring in suitably trained props from either Academy or linked players from affiliated clubs from the Newcastle area i.e. our equivalent of a Heriots or Watsonians?

Weather looks like we are in for a lot of kicking and lots of knock ons and a tight forward battle ... unfortunately.

They can:

3.4 In order to reduce the possibility of uncontested scrums, each club may also nominate further front row players, referred to as Emergency Front Row players, who may be registered with EPCR on a match-by-match basis provided that all necessary details of the players have been submitted before 12 noon (GMT) on 20 September 2018. The provision for the nomination of Emergency Front Row players is not intended to allow clubs to improve the quality of their squads, and is designed to cater for illness and/or injury in the relevant positions. The players added to squads will typically come from a club’s academy or similar.

Issue seems to be they don't seem to have anyone available that they submitted the details for before 20/9/18. Which is a bit bizarre. In recent seasons Glasgow have had a couple of Hawks' props and Academy players that they could have called on in an emergency.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:56 pm

If they’ve failed to have enough emergency players listed before the deadline, then they have to live with the consequences. If that means starting with uncontested scrums or only 14 players or even having to forfeit, then so be it. Of course, I may be looking at this through burnt orange and blue-tinted glasses...
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:06 pm

They've finalised their line-up and will only have 7 on the bench - only 1 prop.

Worth bearing in mind that if scrums go uncontested due to injury the side that caused it will need to play a man short.

If scrums go uncontested due to a yellow or red card the side that caused it will need to play a further man short over and above the player who is in the sin bin or taking an early bath.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:29 pm

See the ref is starting to make things up already......Newcastle guy slips into tackle and penalty against Edinburgh; Gilchrist steals ball as Newcastle player loses it in setting up maul and Gilchrist gets penalised for coming in from the side. Going to be a long night.
KenMavor
International

Postby David990 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:30 pm

awful
/ˈɔːf(ə)l/Submit
adjective
very bad or unpleasant.
synonyms: very unpleasant, terrible, dreadful, ghastly, horrid, horrible, vile, foul, abominable, appalling, atrocious, horrendous, hideous, offensive, objectionable, obnoxious, PaulHoniss, loathsome, revolting, repulsive, repellent, repugnant, odious, sickening, nauseating, nauseous;
David990
International

Postby Weegie on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:34 pm

Was disappointed I could not make it tonight, but so far I am glad I did not.

Loads of possession but no wit or imagination and loads of silly mistakes. Summed up by Mata picking up when the Newcastle pack was going backwards at a rate of knots.

Edinburgh should be going after their scrum big time. After the first scrum penalty in the 22, they should have scrummed again, and again, and again till someone was carded. Edinburgh were very lucky to get the penalty they did so glossed that over.

Pyrgos has to get the ball away quicker. I am being hard on the backline for lack of imagination, but the ball is so slow Newcastle have all the time in the world to reform.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 pm

KenMavor wrote:See the ref is starting to make things up already......Newcastle guy slips into tackle and penalty against Edinburgh; Gilchrist steals ball as Newcastle player loses it in setting up maul and Gilchrist gets penalised for coming in from the side. Going to be a long night.

Toolis was unlucky because of the slip, but by the current laws it was a penalty as he was high regardless of how it happened.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:33 pm

Perhaps I should have more faith.

But it was an ugly win and it makes e doubt Edinburgh's chances in Newcastle.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:34 pm

That was a very professional second half, which should have been expected against the selection that the Falcons put out tonight. Utterly bamboozled by Andy Nicol's choice of MOTM as Pyrgos was honking in the first half. Schoeman was phenomenal in his 55 minutes I thought, and Mata was terrific, though didn't quite meet the highest of standards that he has set. The offload for Kinghorn's try was sublime (as was VDW's grubber kick).
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Pyrgos MotM? Jings!!
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 pm

If Edinburgh were to win next week denying Newcastle any points. Toulon wins tomorrow, no BP and draws next week or deny Montpellier a BP then Edinburgh need to win won more to have qualified for the QFs.......
David990
International

Postby biffer on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Really poor first half, much better in the second. Lovely fourth try. Good result, 5-0, next week is a very big game now.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Dreadful weather, we should have battered them but it doesn't often work out like that.

Even in those conditions, given what happened in the second half I do wonder why we keep some of the most potent attacking threats in Scotland sitting out there in the back three getting cold for most of the night
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:55 pm

Pyrgos man of the match,dont get me started on that one.
Dreadful first half,better in the second,expected a bigger score to be honest ,but the weather had a part to play in it
Edinburgh stuck in and produced an adequate outcome,hopefully we play better next week.
Once again our support was out supported by the visiting team,when will the Edinburgh so called supporters flex their vocal chords and make some noise!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:02 am

Weegie wrote:Was disappointed I could not make it tonight, but so far I am glad I did not.

Loads of possession but no wit or imagination and loads of silly mistakes. Summed up by Mata picking up when the Newcastle pack was going backwards at a rate of knots.

Edinburgh should be going after their scrum big time. After the first scrum penalty in the 22, they should have scrummed again, and again, and again till someone was carded. Edinburgh were very lucky to get the penalty they did so glossed that over.

Pyrgos has to get the ball away quicker. I am being hard on the backline for lack of imagination, but the ball is so slow Newcastle have all the time in the world to reform.

And yet he was MOTM. You couldn’t make this stuff up.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum