Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:31 am

robdinsdale wrote:
doedin wrote:
VdW v Hickey - Hickey has not really done much and tends to sit deeper and deeper when under pressure. VdW threatens the gain line and is strong enough to make yards, he came on last week and then made the break and offload for Graham try, Hickey failed to do that whole time he was on. Still disappointed with Hickey TBH.

You're right, VdW is looking much better as a running threat, and I like his passing as well. His kicking has been woeful these last couple of weeks though. I hope for the forwards' sake he can get the ball near the five metre line this week.

With Kinghorn on the pitch this week I think we may see him being used for some of the kicking to touch etc. VDW needs to improve this aspect of his game.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:35 am

Regarding Ford, we need to remember he has been professional since what 2003? Didn't he go to the commonwealth games in 2002?

No matter how fit he looks, that has to take a toll on his body.

I saw a reference to Best, although there are some Lions tour games not counted, according to wiki Ford has played about 20% more pro games than Best.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:01 am

Uncontested scrums and playing v 14 looking a real possibility tonight.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ugby-union
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Uncontested scrums and playing v 14 looking a real possibility tonight.

Would be a shame for Newcastle, but if that happens we need to be burying them.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:49 am

it does seem ridiculous that the emergency front row cover regulations don't allow for a situation where all the TH props have suffered injuries at this very late stage.I wouldn't like to see this go to uncontested scrums-or even worse the possibility that Newcastle might start with 14 players (and thus with uncontested scrums throughout).
Hopefully their injury worries will ease before kick-off .
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:08 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Uncontested scrums and playing v 14 looking a real possibility tonight.

Would be a shame for Newcastle, but if that happens we need to be burying them.

This makes a mockery of the game.Allow them a prop from anywhere that they can source one and lets get on with it.Takes away a strong part of our game,but if this situation prevails; i agree 100%, lets put them to the sword and
take as many points as possible from an already weakened Falcons team.You can only play whats put in front of you;lets show no mercy and get a convincing win.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Yes but don't forget Glasgow won with 14 men last week so no complacency please.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 pm

Hypothetical question; if we know it's going to be uncontested scrums from the start, is there anything to stop a team from fielding backrowers in the 1 and 3 jerseys? I know the rule about the need for players who are able to play in the front row, but would it apply in this situation?

and yeah, I know you might de-power the maul, I'm just interested in the hypothetical here
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Without actually checking, I believe that wouldn't be allowed. I think the laws say if you need to have three front row players (wording is something like "suitably trained") start the match, and three on the bench, and that you have to use the front row replacements to replace front row players if possible.

If I'm right, we could play three hookers.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Hypothetical question; if we know it's going to be uncontested scrums from the start, is there anything to stop a team from fielding backrowers in the 1 and 3 jerseys? I know the rule about the need for players who are able to play in the front row, but would it apply in this situation?

and yeah, I know you might de-power the maul, I'm just interested in the hypothetical here

Would we not then be required to field 14men?

I assume Newcastle would have to start with a number of front row trained players. Rather than swapping all out.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:27 pm

As stated, Edinburgh does still need to field the required front rowers regardless of what Newcastle does. But it is possible to field a more mobile front row, and the definition of 'qualified' appears elastic. Some may remember George Turner propping for Edinburgh rather than going uncontested on the basis that he had played loosehead for Heriots.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:50 pm

I doubt that would be allowed to happen (a) Edinburgh couldn't make late changes presumably as they have listed a teamsheet and could only justify in the event of late injuries: and (b) I'm sure it would be deemed "contrary to the spirit of the game". Having said that anything (in theory) to prevent make a substitution early on with a back rower replacing a prop (eg. Hamilton for Nel) if scrums uncontested?
Lets hope this has all been resolved in the course of today and we have two "proper" 23's lining up tonight.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm

liveinhope wrote:I doubt that would be allowed to happen (a) Edinburgh couldn't make late changes presumably as they have listed a teamsheet and could only justify in the event of late injuries: and (b) I'm sure it would be deemed "contrary to the spirit of the game". Having said that anything (in theory) to prevent make a substitution early on with a back rower replacing a prop (eg. Hamilton for Nel) if scrums uncontested?
Lets hope this has all been resolved in the course of today and we have two "proper" 23's lining up tonight.

Pretty sure the laws say that if you replace a front row player, you need to replace them with a front row player if possible. So (I think) Hamilton for Nel would only work if Cherry and Dell were already on. And at that point, you're probably starting to worry about having 15 on the pitch if someone's injured, so better not to risk it.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Frenchy wrote:Without actually checking, I believe that wouldn't be allowed. I think the laws say if you need to have three front row players (wording is something like "suitably trained") start the match, and three on the bench, and that you have to use the front row replacements to replace front row players if possible.

If I'm right, we could play three hookers.

The Suitably Trained and Experience designation is position specific as well so you have to have 6 STE front row players and you have to be able to replace your LH, H and TH at least once from your available cover. (Incidentally your available cover can be players who start the match in other positions, they don't necessarily need to be on the bench.)

So in this case even if you were to start with uncontested scrums Edinburgh would still need to have 6 STE players somewhere in their 23 and be able to have at least 1 player who can cover each of the starting LH, H and TH.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:44 pm

It does make a mockery of the game and more so for ticket paying supporters and subscription paying TV viewers. Surely they should be allowed to bring in suitably trained props from either Academy or linked players from affiliated clubs from the Newcastle area i.e. our equivalent of a Heriots or Watsonians?

Weather looks like we are in for a lot of kicking and lots of knock ons and a tight forward battle ... unfortunately.
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum