Attendances

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Attendances

Postby Weegie on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:15 pm

To the tune of La Cucaracha.

The Edinburra, the Edinburra,
They are the greatest rugby team.
The Edinburra, the Edinburra,
Oh yes they're going to win the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISEzLP4tsA
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Fundamentally, there's no point in suggesting stuff on here. Just do it at a game and see if people join in.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:49 am

Pretty decent noise from the pilgrims at Kingston Park yesterday I thought and great to see so many flags!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:06 am

Wottie wrote:Pretty decent noise from the pilgrims at Kingston Park yesterday I thought and great to see so many flags!

Good atmosphere from an Edinburgh point of view.I was in the East stand and there was a good amount of noise coming from the South terracing and also the far end of the West stand closest to the North terracing.I was making my usual noise with a few others also.A thoroughly enjoyable trip.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:11 pm

I'm a bit croaky today....
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Been looking back at Edinburgh's history in the HC. Noticed that last time the club were in contention for a QF place in 2011/12 they got 10,892 at Murrayfield for the Round 6 game against London Irish. That was a Sunday game with probably a bit of travelling support but in spite of the league campaign being pretty poor. With much more momentum across the board in terms of results (but given there's not likely to be much French travelling support on a Friday night) what are the chances of getting close to that sort of crowd against Montpellier next week?
disco
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Think the 1945 KO on a Friday night probably rules out a good number of the occasional fans that would travel from further afield for a weekend fixture but if it is a winner takes all match and Montpellier come with a full strength team think we may see a decent crowd (ER standards) maybe 7500-8500. A home QF I imagine would bring in another 2-3k, think we got 8-9k v Dragons, so perhaps similar to the LI attendance.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:07 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Think the 1945 KO on a Friday night probably rules out a good number of the occasional fans that would travel from further afield for a weekend fixture but if it is a winner takes all match and Montpellier come with a full strength team think we may see a decent crowd (ER standards) maybe 7500-8500. A home QF I imagine would bring in another 2-3k, think we got 8-9k v Dragons, so perhaps similar to the LI attendance.

The last home HEC QF saw a crowd of over 30k.

With a favourable kick off and similar marketing there is no reason that there couldn't be well in excess of the LI figures.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm

At risk of getting way ahead of ourselves here!
But ok the April 2012 home QF v Toulouse (Saturday afternnon I recall) had a crowd of over 37k so can't see how we could only expect 10/11k if we get another home QF ?.If,as is entirely possible) it were against Munster they would bring a huge travelling support far in excess of that following Toulouse in 2012so don't know why we couldn't expect to get near to the 2012 figure.. Of course supporters came from all over Scotland so I imagine if Glasgow also made the QF's the same weekend that would reduce the numbers from the west whether they were home or away.
Having said all that two very difficult fixtures against famous French sides to worry about for now and this discussion should be put on the backburner till next Friday night please!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Fair points, I had forgotten the Toulouse match.

That was a high point, post Robinson, and just before the start of the 4-5 year descent into the Bradley/Solly era of misery, would be a good comparison to see the current appetite and how many of those fans we could attract back.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Ideally you want a team you wouldn't normally play to maximise attendance so French or English. All conjecture anyway hard work to be done this weekend
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Toulouse match 38,500,great atmosphere that day.Yeh we do have to negotiate two tricky games.I think we will,and the guys will no doubt be up for it,fingers and toes crossed for the first part on Saturday.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 pm

liveinhope wrote:At risk of getting way ahead of ourselves here!
But ok the April 2012 home QF v Toulouse (Saturday afternnon I recall) had a crowd of over 37k so can't see how we could only expect 10/11k if we get another home QF ?

Disco's post talks about what the crowd would be for the Montpellier game, not for a QF. AFAIK no one has suggested 10/11K for a QF.

FWIW, Montpellier is a fri evening, minimal travelling support. cannot see a 5 figure crowd, 7-8K would be good. If Edin have already qualified, will struggle to get that
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Fair points, I had forgotten the Toulouse match.

That was a high point, post Robinson, and just before the start of the 4-5 year descent into the Bradley/Solly era of misery, would be a good comparison to see the current appetite and how many of those fans we could attract back.

getting to that QF was THE high point, but it tended to mask just how bad Edinburgh were that season otherwise. The decent had already started.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:16 am

joe soap wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Fair points, I had forgotten the Toulouse match.

getting to that QF was THE high point, but it tended to mask just how bad Edinburgh were that season otherwise. The decent had already started.

True Joe,but we played some good cup rugby along the way.TBH we could have pinched it against Ulster in the Semi as well, but that year Leinster would have been to good in the next match.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum