Coaches

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Coaches

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 am

Lots of rumours flying around...

Cockers for England
Humphries for Wales
Rennie for pretty much any job
Johnston for Australia

Its got to be a good sign that our coaches are sought after, but like players how are we going to keep hold of the best to keep us moving forward?

Humphries and Johnston are almost seen as figures of fun and totally inept by some, yet they have decent records and are sought after, yet again the mindset in Scotland seems to be that if someone has a bad run then they are tarred forever and no matter what they do they will always be useless. Johnston gets criticism for any mistakes but never any credit. Whatever he is doing is working currently and we should try and keep him.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Re: Coaches

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am

McFarland is doing a very handy job at Ulster too.

You can't keep coaches forever. If Humphries is offered the Welsh forwards job he's off, it's a step up from Glasgow. Rennie and Cockers aren't going to be here forever and they're excellent coaches so the chances will come.

The hope is that we can continue to attract coaches such as Rennie. And when Cockers leaves Edinburgh will be much more attractive job.

Johnson is a good DoR but not a great coach so eyebrows would be raised if Australia went for him.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:08 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Lots of rumours flying around...

Cockers for England
Humphries for Wales
Rennie for pretty much any job
Johnston for Australia

Its got to be a good sign that our coaches are sought after, but like players how are we going to keep hold of the best to keep us moving forward?

Humphries and Johnston are almost seen as figures of fun and totally inept by some, yet they have decent records and are sought after, yet again the mindset in Scotland seems to be that if someone has a bad run then they are tarred forever and no matter what they do they will always be useless. Johnston gets criticism for any mistakes but never any credit. Whatever he is doing is working currently and we should try and keep him.

Johnston has done a good job as DoR IMO, not sure he has the coaching track record. Unless Oz are looking at him as DoR with a HC under him.

I don't know why but I can't see Cockers wanting the England job anytime soon. He doesn't seem the type to want to give up the day to day hands on stuff.

Rennie is an interesting one. If he has any designs on the NZ job in the future, he will need international experience. A part of me wonders if he is seen as the insurance policy if Townsend and staff have a disastrous 2019.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Im surprised Rennie wasnt on the Ireland radar to replace Schmidt. Although they are still looking for a backs coach, not sure if he would see that as a step down.

Rennie and Johnson to Aus as a pair? Would surely end his AB hopes but its not a bad consolation. The AB succession plan will be in place with Pivac the likely contender beyond this cycle. I still think Schmidt will replace Hansen.

Just as an aside Hansens win % with wales was similar to Johnsons with Scotland (33% vs 31%, if wiki is correct)
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm sure Cockers will want the England job at some point - question is when. It would be the pinnacle of his coaching career. He's also right when he says it's a hiding to nothing.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:53 pm

I see Roddy is off to Ulster to join up with Petrie and McFarland.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:05 pm

You been on the moon for the last couple of months, djp?
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:00 am

djphilp wrote:I see Roddy is off to Ulster to join up with Petrie and McFarland.

That's nothing , I heard the SRU are not renewing Vern Cotter's contract!! :lol: . Welcome back djphilp!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:46 am

Wottie wrote:
djphilp wrote:I see Roddy is off to Ulster to join up with Petrie and McFarland.

That's nothing , I heard the SRU are not renewing Vern Cotter's contract!! :lol: . Welcome back djphilp!

Crichton Gunner wrote:You been on the moon for the last couple of months, djp?

:P just been offline and hiding from Scottish rugby :wink:
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:47 pm

Think I read somewhere that Hodge's contract is up this summer, but there hasn't been any announcement about what's happening with him so far (to the best of my knowledge). Whether he is staying or going, I'd have thought there would have been something announced by now. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:42 pm

A lot may depend on what the alternatives are. No idea who Cockers woudl want.

I think Cockers will want to work with a young or less experiecned coach, it didnt work out well when he has a "name" beside him and he will want control.

I think this is another cross roads for Cockers though, we cant have a repeat next season or all his good work will have been undone. He will get a pass this season if we dont make the big cup, but pressure on next season.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:36 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:A lot may depend on what the alternatives are. No idea who Cockers woudl want.

I think Cockers will want to work with a young or less experiecned coach, it didnt work out well when he has a "name" beside him and he will want control.

I think this is another cross roads for Cockers though, we cant have a repeat next season or all his good work will have been undone. He will get a pass this season if we dont make the big cup, but pressure on next season.

I don't think he's got much option now...
macdone
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum