Newcastle Falcons v Edinburgh Sunday 16/12

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Newcastle Falcons v Edinburgh Sunday 16/12

Postby BruceLee on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:19 am

biffer wrote:That was a good performance and a great win. Stuff to work on but that's a good thing. Bring on Glasgow.

Agree with you on that one Biffer.Edinburgh stepped up in the second half,it wasnt perfect,but they had 3 or 4 good attacking players.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 pm

That was a great day day out-first time I had seen Edinburgh win away in 14 years so a bit special (ok,had only been to Toulouse,Bath and The Stoop but well worth it!)

I don't like criticising players but I have to endorse the comments made earlier about the back line. In the first half in particular the passing was almost static so we had no forward momentum at all and thus no chance of it reaching our dangerous wingers-whereas Newcastle distributed properly and looked quite dangerous (Harris in particular was outstanding till clearly crocked later in the game). I don't know if this was the personnel or poor coaching? Hopefully some of this will be solved with the return of Matt Scott .
DVDM is a marvellous player and we must make more attempt to get him into the game-though as pointed out in previous weeks he could do more occasionally to look for work by coming into midfield.
Great to hear our big travelling support in full voice at last. What a relief after Saturday's weather that it turned out to be a pretty reasonable day.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Having now watched the game I feel we are so close to being a decent side, we had the lion's share of the game in both halves, the difference in the second was that our execution was more accurate. If we can just get more consistency we will become a threat to most teams.

I hope we get Matt Scott back next week, there are going to be some great match ups, but I feel Glasgow's midfield are way ahead of us at the moment and we will need a monster of an effort from the pack and the whole team in defence to keep the ball off them and to keep them on the back foot.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 am

I honestly believe if Dean was in the Glasgow squad he'd be in Scotland contention. That is the difference in class of backline coaches between the teams.

Jonny Williams is SQ and if he were available it would be a great pick up.

Good win and it keeps us in pole position for a QF, some exciting games ahead.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm

BigD163 wrote:I honestly believe if Dean was in the Glasgow squad he'd be in Scotland contention. That is the difference in class of backline coaches between the teams.

I don't think Dean helps himself sometimes though, he still makes too many basic mistakes.

I'm a huge fan of Dean. We've seen he can pass, we've seen he can run hard and cut good lines, we've seen he can tackle and we've seen a rugby brain. But rarely all together in one game.

Perhaps JoH and Toonie would help with that but it's as much mental as anything I think. Mentally we're quite a bit away still but wins like Sunday will get us there!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:I honestly believe if Dean was in the Glasgow squad he'd be in Scotland contention. That is the difference in class of backline coaches between the teams.

I don't think Dean helps himself sometimes though, he still makes too many basic mistakes.

I'm a huge fan of Dean. We've seen he can pass, we've seen he can run hard and cut good lines, we've seen he can tackle and we've seen a rugby brain. But rarely all together in one game.

Perhaps JoH and Toonie would help with that but it's as much mental as anything I think. Mentally we're quite a bit away still but wins like Sunday will get us there!

That is true, but the mental side is also part of the coaching responsibility (up to a point) and Glasgow regardless of line up in the main look to be a well prepared and well drilled backline. When was the last time our backline consistently looked prepared and well drilled for any stretch of games? Not regularly enough considering they play behind a decent pack most of the time.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Some players seem to emerge almost fully formed and can operate at the top level from day one, Hogg was one of those. Now that Darcy Graham has spent time in the gym he is another.

Most need time to develop, Dean is improving massively every season. I'm not sure he'll make an international centre to trouble the Lions selectors, but I agree with BigD on the importance of coach and that Dean would be further along the road at Glasgow or, say, Leinster than he is with us.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Some players seem to emerge almost fully formed and can operate at the top level from day one, Hogg was one of those. Now that Darcy Graham has spent time in the gym he is another.

Most need time to develop, Dean is improving massively every season. I'm not sure he'll make an international centre to trouble the Lions selectors, but I agree with BigD on the importance of coach and that Dean would be further along the road at Glasgow or, say, Leinster than he is with us.

Yeah I should probably clarify. I mean contention fro Scotland as in competing with Grigg and Harris for those squad spots, not the 1st choice guys.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Really glad we made the effort to get to Newcastle and see the improvements in the team, we even felt the belief in the guys hearts, the team is going in the right direction but there is no quick fix, really hoping this time next we will be disappointed if we’re not winning games like this without having to come from behind?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:12 pm

See Hardie has earned himself a two year deal at Falcons. Great news. I just hope he can help them stay in the Premiership as it isn't looking great at the moment.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Wottie wrote:See Hardie has earned himself a two year deal at Falcons. Great news. I just hope he can help them stay in the Premiership as it isn't looking great at the moment.

That is good news, I hope he plays himself into contention for the 6N and RWC squad.

There is a lot of pressure on these young men and we supporters demand a lot from them, hopefully he will be judged from now on solely on his performances on the park.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:14 pm

Wottie wrote:See Hardie has earned himself a two year deal at Falcons. Great news. I just hope he can help them stay in the Premiership as it isn't looking great at the moment.

Thats great news for Hardie,he is the type of player Falcons need.Really hope they start to pick up points and avoid the drop.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Won't be a problem if the GP do away with relegation !
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum