Newcastle Falcons v Edinburgh Sunday 16/12

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Newcastle Falcons v Edinburgh Sunday 16/12

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Weegie wrote:Newcastle are still struggling at TH. Schoeman is either going to come on against a tired TH, or a player who is not really a TH. If this happens Edinburgh really need to make a better job of exploiting their advantage.

Dell will help at the breakdown though, Schoeman carries better but Dell is quicker and more nimble.

Need scrums to really take advantage though and it was a bit of a perfect storm for Newcastle last week with the injuries and then the weather meaning there were a good few handling errors, not sure we will see the same this week.

Having not won an away game this season I am not confident ahead of this match, we are certainly capable of going and winning but am not sure we will. Really hope I am wrong
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Playing on all weather pitch makes a difference and probably why Dell is in for Shoeman. I suspect we might struggle against a much stronger Newcastle team at their place. They have done their sums and probably picked a weaker team given the jamesmatthew weather last week and were looking to take a LBP and stop us getting the TBP. in a low scoring game Didnt work out for them so they will be all out to reverse that this week. We need to take something out of this game as I think it will come down to a straight fight between them and us for the top slot. I think we will probably adopt the same tactics this week as last and given the awful forecast for the weekend that might work in our favour? A LBP will be ok.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Can't wait for this one.

Hardie Vs Watson is the clash we all want to see.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:29 pm

doedin wrote:Playing on all weather pitch makes a difference and probably why Dell is in for Shoeman. I suspect we might struggle against a much stronger Newcastle team at their place. They have done their sums and probably picked a weaker team given the jamesmatthew weather last week and were looking to take a LBP and stop us getting the TBP. in a low scoring game Didnt work out for them so they will be all out to reverse that this week. We need to take something out of this game as I think it will come down to a straight fight between them and us for the top slot. I think we will probably adopt the same tactics this week as last and given the awful forecast for the weekend that might work in our favour? A LBP will be ok.

Sunday's BBC weather forecast for Newcastle is 6c and sunshine...

This will be a tough game, very difficult to call. Nice to see that while we have Barclay, Ritchie and Bradbury injured, we are still putting out a strong back row of Hamilton/Mata/Watson... it will be an epic battle in the loose forwards.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:35 pm

New Gunner wrote:
doedin wrote:Playing on all weather pitch makes a difference and probably why Dell is in for Shoeman. I suspect we might struggle against a much stronger Newcastle team at their place. They have done their sums and probably picked a weaker team given the jamesmatthew weather last week and were looking to take a LBP and stop us getting the TBP. in a low scoring game Didnt work out for them so they will be all out to reverse that this week. We need to take something out of this game as I think it will come down to a straight fight between them and us for the top slot. I think we will probably adopt the same tactics this week as last and given the awful forecast for the weekend that might work in our favour? A LBP will be ok.

Sunday's BBC weather forecast for Newcastle is 6c and sunshine...

This will be a tough game, very difficult to call. Nice to see that while we have Barclay, Ritchie and Bradbury injured, we are still putting out a strong back row of Hamilton/Mata/Watson... it will be an epic battle in the loose forwards.

So it is! Heavy snow and freezing rain overnight Saturday. Hopefully any lying snow will have disappeared by kick off?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Just the 11 changes for them

Puts some of the grumbling in the English press last week about the tighthead issue in perspective.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby gunner_graham on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:37 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Can't wait for this one.

Hardie Vs Watson is the clash we all want to see.

It's an interesting contest, but I think Hamish if on form wins. Hardie is a great competitor, but Watson is up there with Hogg and Russell as the best of Scottish talent.
gunner_graham
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Thats an interesting observation about their weakened team last week ,i thought that as well.
Its quite amusing,i was on their site last week and there was an out of touch dude who was convinced we had put out a weakened team against Munster the week prior to the Newcastle match at Murrayfield, he was ignorant of rest protocols and the amount of injuries we had,and went on to try and trash or league.Fortunately,someone on the site put him in his place,justice was served.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:37 pm

I saw that post too, couldn’t be ersed registering to answer though.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Packing the winter weather gear and possibly a shovel for tomorrow’s trip, now it maybe makes sense to have booked the bus rather than taking the car :?

How many posts must be approved by a mod before I can post normally again anyone?
Last edited by Pitfitter446 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby AuldLangTyne on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Anyone found a good stream for this?
AuldLangTyne
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Ffs poor errors in attack and defence. We do a fair bit of good composed stuff then balls it up with inaccuracy.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Play far far too deep attacking wise.

Hickey was told to, not he wanted to.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Play far far too deep attacking wise.

Hickey was told to, not he wanted to.

I think VDW has been pretty flat but there are not enough players coming from deep at pace on to the ball, too many are standing waiting for it. Usual story attack has LawrenceBryce all cutting edge.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Hardie outplaying Watson so far.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum