Newcastle Falcons v Edinburgh Sunday 16/12

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Newcastle Falcons v Edinburgh Sunday 16/12

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:04 pm

doedin wrote: I would take Harris into our squad if he became available,

I wonder if that would be possible? I'd take him in an instant, however the SRU will be happy enough for someone else to be paying his wages, but I think he'd be a great addition to our team.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:07 pm

That was a good performance and a great win. Stuff to work on but that's a good thing. Bring on Glasgow.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:23 pm

I think the midfield issues are mostly decision making ones, I didnt think individually any of VDW, Dean or Johnstone played badly just didn't pick the right decisions at crucial times for example VDWs wide pass was absolutely the wrong thing to do, pyrgos does the same a few minutes later at the right time and we score a nice try. It is not a slick unit which if we want to get the best out of our back 3 we really need to improve the service to them.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:31 pm

gowrie wrote:
Frenchy wrote:Listened to the last few minutes on the radio. Sounds like Kinghorn got off very lucky, and may be cited?

It was lucky not to be a penalty, but a YC would have been harsh, at most a warning.

I don't think it was a penalty because Sinoti led with his elbow \ forearm. It was definitely 6 and half a dozen.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 pm

Home, hungry but happy, not a classic performance but a win nevertheless, Falcon’s support leaving with 15 minutes to go! HP moving the ball quicker today but we need to have the backs moving when relieving the ball, harder to stop when in flow. Kinghorn’s tackle? Looked bad in slowmo his arms were out to wrap and the attacking player changed direction just as he made contact making it appear worse.
Some decent noise from most areas of the ground, would have great if we’d all been together despite the Falcon fans being encouraged by the announcer, let’s keep the momentum going.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

I wonder if that would be possible? I'd take him in an instant, however the SRU will be happy enough for someone else to be paying his wages, but I think he'd be a great addition to our team.

Our centres need an overhaul. I'd definitely take Harris and Johnny Williams too. Paddy Kelly should also be on our list.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:12 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I think the midfield issues are mostly decision making ones, I didnt think individually any of VDW, Dean or Johnstone played badly just didn't pick the right decisions at crucial times for example VDWs wide pass was absolutely the wrong thing to do, pyrgos does the same a few minutes later at the right time and we score a nice try. It is not a slick unit which if we want to get the best out of our back 3 we really need to improve the service to them.

It'll hopefully come with experience, Pyrgos hasn't been here long, vdW and Hickey haven't and are both young, JJ has a season of pro rugby, a young back 3 and at under 24 Dean and Kinghorn are the elder statesmen.

There was a lot of bad decision making, but this team is still developing.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Hardie outplaying Watson so far.

Really not sure what game you were watching.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:58 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Proper finisher... Perhaps we should try pass the ball to him more

This. Beggars belief that IIRC he didn't get the ball in hand from a pass till the clock was red for half time.

Good performance overall though, and nice to be able to be able to get picky after wins ! :lol:
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:11 am

macdone wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Our centres need an overhaul. I'd definitely take Harris and Johnny Williams too. Paddy Kelly should also be on our list.

I know I say this after every game but the problem with our centres is not personnel. Until our backs/attack is properly coached its not going to make much difference who we pick.

For what it's worth I think Christine is developing into a really good player, particularly in defence where I think he's the strongest of all our midfielders. Which brings us back to the importance of good coaching...
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:41 am

biffer wrote:

When I posted that I think he had. Smashed Watson a couple of times, at least one turnover.

Second half a different story of course.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:53 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
biffer wrote:

When I posted that I think he had. Smashed Watson a couple of times, at least one turnover.

Second half a different story of course.

Hardin has by that time also been out on his backside by a 5’8” winger. Can’t say I noticed Hardie having a better first half than Watson.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 am

The Nudger wrote:
macdone wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

I know I say this after every game but the problem with our centres is not personnel. Until our backs/attack is properly coached its not going to make much difference who we pick.

For what it's worth I think Christine is developing into a really good player, particularly in defence where I think he's the strongest of all our midfielders. Which brings us back to the importance of good coaching...

Dean has fallen off a couple of late but I'd agree. His passing and running lines have really improved too so someone's clearly coaching him.

We play too deep and slow, which is a shame because earlier this year we showed positive stuff. However, Hodge clearly came up with that kick move for JJs try which was clever.

I would like to see vdM looking for work more, Graham and Kinghorn were popping up in the line yesterday. Teams are wiser to Kinghorn's outside break followed by out the back offload which was our best attacking move last year. We're not getting much from JJ and I'd like to see Pyrgos challenge the line at times.

All in all, we probably do need a new attack coach. But I don't know who because Blair is going to the world cup so won't have time to bed in and the super 6 have announced their coaches.

On Harris I really like him and fair dues playing through the pain yesterday. I'd like to see Taylor and Hutchison get chances too though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:13 am

biffer wrote:Hardin has by that time also been out on his backside by a 5’8” winger. Can’t say I noticed Hardie having a better first half than Watson.

Graham seems to put bigger guys than Hardie on their backsides every time I see him play.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:43 am

The Feral Goat wrote:I think the midfield issues are mostly decision making ones, I didnt think individually any of VDW, Dean or Johnstone played badly just didn't pick the right decisions at crucial times for example VDWs wide pass was absolutely the wrong thing to do, pyrgos does the same a few minutes later at the right time and we score a nice try. It is not a slick unit which if we want to get the best out of our back 3 we really need to improve the service to them.

I thought the same a few months ago but they have played as a unit for some games now and it hasn't worked in most of the games. Its a shame really because if we had a decent midfield then Im sure our back 3 would cause a lot of teams a lot of trouble. However the ball rarely reaches them and when it does it is usually slow and too far behind the gain line.
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum