1872 Attendance

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

1872 Attendance

Postby biffer on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:11 pm

What do we reckon? Looking at the website I think there's coming up for 17,000 tickets sold. Hopefully get over 30k this year.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: 1872 Attendance

Postby Weegie on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:09 pm

biffer wrote:What do we reckon? Looking at the website I think there's coming up for 17,000 tickets sold. Hopefully get over 30k this year.

That seems ambitious with only a few days left. I had been going to comment there seemed fewer sections open than I remembered from last year. However, I assume this fixture has the biggest walk up attendance of the year since everyone knows capacity is effectively unlimited.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Weegie wrote:
biffer wrote:What do we reckon? Looking at the website I think there's coming up for 17,000 tickets sold. Hopefully get over 30k this year.

That seems ambitious with only a few days left. I had been going to comment there seemed fewer sections open than I remembered from last year. However, I assume this fixture has the biggest walk up attendance of the year since everyone knows capacity is effectively unlimited.

The weather forecast is reasonable - 7 degrees and maybe some light rain near the end of the game. Hopefully there will be a lot of walk ups.
Not for me unfortunately, a 950 mile round trip is a bit too much of a hike.

Next year though.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:30 pm

I think they are missing a trick by having the game just before Christmas rather than on Boxing Day. People have still got lots to do and places to go before the big day, which is bound to affect the attendance. On Boxing Day lot of people are looking for something to get them out the house, and I'm sure we'd see a significantly higher turnout.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I think they are missing a trick by having the game just before Christmas rather than on Boxing Day. People have still got lots to do and places to go before the big day, which is bound to affect the attendance. On Boxing Day lot of people are looking for something to get them out the house, and I'm sure we'd see a significantly higher turnout.

Swings and roundabouts. Very little public transport on Boxing Day.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:58 pm

biffer wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:I think they are missing a trick by having the game just before Christmas rather than on Boxing Day. People have still got lots to do and places to go before the big day, which is bound to affect the attendance. On Boxing Day lot of people are looking for something to get them out the house, and I'm sure we'd see a significantly higher turnout.

Would the league sanction a game on a Wednesday if others weren't playing then?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:43 pm

If the games on Saturday then I’m not at the shops, neither is she so my wallets happy too!
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:20 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
biffer wrote:

Would the league sanction a game on a Wednesday if others weren't playing then?

not the issue.
What would be the knock on for the next 1872, scheduled for the the following Sat? 3 day turn-round? So push back that, and it knocks on into the following fixture etc.
Mid week is a daft time to play fixtures
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 am

joe soap wrote:
not the issue.
What would be the knock on for the next 1872, scheduled for the the following Sat? 3 day turn-round? So push back that, and it knocks on into the following fixture etc.

That's not necessarily the case here, the Old Firm derby used to be held on the 1st of January for years, if they followed suit that would make it the Tuesday for the second 1872 game this year, then you'd get the knock on effect on the next game against the Kings on the 5th, for which Cockers has already said he's going to rest players before going into the European games
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 am

Tichtheid wrote:
joe soap wrote:
not the issue.

That's not necessarily the case here, the Old Firm derby used to be held on the 1st of January for years, if they followed suit that would make it the Tuesday for the second 1872 game this year, then you'd get the knock on effect on the next game against the Kings on the 5th, for which Cockers has already said he's going to rest players before going into the European games

Midweek Rugby is generally a no. There's few enough weeks in the season, midweek games would result in losing a week unless you want to compromise player safety.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
joe soap wrote:
not the issue.

what is transport like on the 1st?

He may well rest players for the Kings game, but how many? If he sends a totally 2nd XV and Kings win, that will go down well. If he mixes and matches over the next 3 games (much more likely), I doubt we would welcome a 4 day turnaround to Kings, in SA. And Cockers does not like 4 short turnarounds, rightly so.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:25 pm

There seems to be some confusion here, I’m certainly not in favour of moving the games from their current dates. My initial query was over whether or not the league would sanction us playing on different dates to the other teams.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Would it make much difference if we played a different day to other games?after all games are played Friday, Saturday and Sunday are they not, if your keen to be at tha game you’ll be there on Saturday evening, although I’m of the “Baa Humbug” brigade it’ll not concern me it being Xmas time.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:11 pm

I reckon there's 20-21k seats sold on the website, plus hospitality, biz club and standing. Then walk ups on top of that, given its a nice day could get over 25?
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:41 pm

Blue skies, dry, bit fresh but should be busy day.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum