Edinburgh v Glasgow 22Dec 17:15

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow 22Dec 17:15

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Starting to sound like Mourinho.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:53 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Another good interview with Cockerill

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-glasgow-underdogs/

When it was pointed out to Cockerill that he is hardly scraping the talent barrel with a pack of internationalists at his disposal, the combative Englishman couldn’t resist pointing out how his direct and uncompromising approach to the game has revolutionised the capital squad from a rag-bag assortment of under-performing misfits into a well-oiled machine.

“Only because they work hard and they’re well coached,” he said. “They’ve earned their spots. It wasn’t the whole Scotland pack when I arrived, was it?

the only forward I can think of capped since Cockerill arrived is Richie, and that was just matter of time. Perhaps he should engage brain a bit more before someone asks him how that Scotland pack got on against Wales in November. I really wish he would stop trying to be smart and let his coaching do the talking on the park. The rentaquote stuff is getting tedious
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:59 pm

doedin wrote:We played our simple game plan fantastically well and deservedly won the game. We suffocate teams with our strong pack, excellent kicking from Pyrgos, a good chase and a fast defensive line sending out a player out wide to cut off teams going round us. If they try and go back and around we just blitz them and send in our back row..

I agree with all of that bit. Where I have a concern is that while that was enough to beat a clueless Weegie set up, Edinburgh created the sum total of nothing. That pack delivered almost no good front foot quick ball. Its is looking more and more like the Cockerill the Leicester player of yesteryear's team. No point having a good 9 and a promising 10, never mind excellent outside backs if they only ever live on scraps and intercepts
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:02 pm

joe soap wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Another good interview with Cockerill

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-glasgow-underdogs/

When it was pointed out to Cockerill that he is hardly scraping the talent barrel with a pack of internationalists at his disposal, the combative Englishman couldn’t resist pointing out how his direct and uncompromising approach to the game has revolutionised the capital squad from a rag-bag assortment of under-performing misfits into a well-oiled machine.

“Only because they work hard and they’re well coached,” he said. “They’ve earned their spots. It wasn’t the whole Scotland pack when I arrived, was it?

the only forward I can think of capped since Cockerill arrived is Richie, and that was just matter of time. Perhaps he should engage brain a bit more before someone asks him how that Scotland pack got on against Wales in November. I really wish he would stop trying to be smart and let his coaching do the talking on the park. The rentaquote stuff is getting tedious

2016 six nations, Edinburgh provided four of the starting eight in the pack in all matches (and two of them were Hardie and Dickinson). Now you could argue that six or seven of the starting pack would be Edinburgh (Dell, McInally, Nel, Gilchrist, Watson, Barclay, Bradbury).
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Spot on, biffer
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:12 pm

New caps* - Marfo but given his profile this season not one to shout about, Carmichael.

But I think it is more the realization of potential and consistency of performance he has got out of the players, particularly our internationals, rather than number of new caps which is worthy of note.

I don’t mind his press, I think he is good for getting our profile up and quite right to talk us up at times because we have certainly been talked down (with reason) a lot in past. It is perhaps not a Scottish trait to be so outwardly self-promoting but I think it is what we need at present.

* Cherry possibly an outside chance of the 6N anyone? For someone I assume brought in to be a squad player I have been impressed with his performances and given injuries to Brown and Turner and being ahead of Ford at present is it him and Stewart to back up McInally ?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:19 pm

biffer wrote:2016 six nations, Edinburgh provided four of the starting eight in the pack in all matches (and two of them were Hardie and Dickinson). Now you could argue that six or seven of the starting pack would be Edinburgh (Dell, McInally, Nel, Gilchrist, Watson, Barclay, Bradbury).

not disputing that. I am saying all bar Richie were capped prior to Cockerill, capiche?

And I'm saying that being better than Glasgow's pack isn't much to shout about, see how well Scotland (with 6 Edin starters in the pack and another 2 off the bench) did against Wales. Bullying Glasgow does not a world beating pack make. Geddit?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:10 pm

joe soap wrote:
biffer wrote:2016 six nations, Edinburgh provided four of the starting eight in the pack in all matches (and two of them were Hardie and Dickinson). Now you could argue that six or seven of the starting pack would be Edinburgh (Dell, McInally, Nel, Gilchrist, Watson, Barclay, Bradbury).

not disputing that. I am saying all bar Richie were capped prior to Cockerill, capiche?

And I'm saying that being better than Glasgow's pack isn't much to shout about, see how well Scotland (with 6 Edin starters in the pack and another 2 off the bench) did against Wales. Bullying Glasgow does not a world beating pack make. Geddit?

He didn’t say anything about being capped, it’s about making them better players. McInally, Dell, Berghan, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, none of them were first choose two or three years ago. He’s made them into better players. Capiche?
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:29 pm

biffer wrote:He didn’t say anything about being capped, it’s about making them better players. McInally, Dell, Berghan, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, none of them were first choose two or three years ago. He’s made them into better players. Capiche?

so he didn't say
"It wasn’t the whole Scotland pack when I arrived, was it?" Righty oh.

All those guys had been or were Scotland starters, bar Richie. And he was just matter of time. Its like talking to Trump and his apologist sometimes. Alternative facts.

So, how much good ball did his pack create? Did they dominate with 42% possession and even less territory? The answers are AlanLewis all, no, and no. They did an excellent job on a Weegie pack that has been done over similarly many times, including by Edinburgh - even before Cockerill.
But I won't be getting delusional about how good they really are
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:44 pm

In 2017 Six Nations, which was immediately before Cockerill moved here, Edinburgh had the following players start for Scotland:

Watson (4 games)
Dell (2)
Hardie (1)
Gilchrist (1)
Ford (1)

So 9 out of 40.

In the four Autumn Tests this year, it was 19 out of 32. So proportion of starters has more than doubled. Even leaving out the Wales game (only Scotland-based players; Edinburgh had 6 starting forwards), it's still 13/24.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:00 pm

joe soap wrote:
biffer wrote:He didn’t say anything about being capped, it’s about making them better players. McInally, Dell, Berghan, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, none of them were first choose two or three years ago. He’s made them into better players. Capiche?

so he didn't say
"It wasn’t the whole Scotland pack when I arrived, was it?" Righty oh.

All those guys had been or were Scotland starters, bar Richie. And he was just matter of time. Its like talking to Trump and his apologist sometimes. Alternative facts.

So, how much good ball did his pack create? Did they dominate with 42% possession and even less territory? The answers are AlanLewis all, no, and no. They did an excellent job on a Weegie pack that has been done over similarly many times, including by Edinburgh - even before Cockerill.
But I won't be getting delusional about how good they really are

How does that statement tally with players being new caps?
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:08 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
* Cherry possibly an outside chance of the 6N anyone? For someone I assume brought in to be a squad player I have been impressed with his performances and given injuries to Brown and Turner and being ahead of Ford at present is it him and Stewart to back up McInally ?

Have to put my hands up to the LS bias, but he wouldn't have been allocated one of the Stade Nicois development spots if somebody hadn't thought he had something about him.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:10 pm

joe soap wrote:

Capiche? Geddit?

Think Biffer, or anyone else on the forum for that matter, deserves a little more respect. Disagree, by all means, but maybe try to dial down the passive aggressiveness a few notches.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Well said New Gunner,

Why can't we for once celebrate that we are moving in the right direction , getting results and having our team and players recognised.

We are far from the finished product and there is certainly a number of ways to get there which no one person ( prob including Cockers) owns the map to. We all want the same thing and differing views is healthy but don't forget that we are on the same side, aren't we?
Weegie59
Established pro

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum