Edinburgh v Glasgow 22Dec 17:15

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Glasgow 22Dec 17:15

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:43 pm

So will it be a good or bad start to the Christmas period?

Our home form is good although I would think some of Glasgows internationals will play at Murrayfield more times this season than some of the ER players so less of an advantage than other games.

Breakdown likely to be key as usual, Fraser Brown will be a big miss for them in this area but we have got to frustrate Glasgow and slow down the service to their backs.

Glasgow lineout looks iffy with, probably, Stewart throwing so wonder if we will be kicking for touch (Hickey) and then going after their lineout. It will be interesting to see how scrums go Kebble has made a big improvement to them but I think we have a bit more depth off the bench.

Oh and we should probably try and keep 15 players on the pitch for more than 6mins as well.

Looking forward to it, should be interesting
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow 22Dec 17:15

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:29 pm

Having watched the performance of Glasgow's pack I am concerned. Kebble is outstanding, Ashe has been outstanding. J Gray is playing (for Glasgow) better than I've seen him play. Rae is anchoring the scrum, Gibbins, Fagerson, Wilson are all playing food attritional rugby. Their set piece is weaker without Brown and Turner, hope we can get at Stewart.

But their forwards are night and day to last year. A really horrible pack, don't really know how it happened.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 pm

We are ready to drive onward and upward, Glasgow will only have 15 players on the park too and we can and will beat them, there may not be a bonus point but 4 will be welcome.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:47 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Having watched the performance of Glasgow's pack I am concerned. Kebble is outstanding, Ashe has been outstanding. J Gray is playing (for Glasgow) better than I've seen him play. Rae is anchoring the scrum, Gibbins, Fagerson, Wilson are all playing food attritional rugby. Their set piece is weaker without Brown and Turner, hope we can get at Stewart.

But their forwards are night and day to last year. A really horrible pack, don't really know how it happened.

Yeh their pack has evolved since last year FKL,but we have a pack that is up there with the best,i am more concerned in our backs,we will win the forward battle.Over to the backs to step up and not give any of their strike runners a sniff at a gap,or it could be costly.
Last edited by BruceLee on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:54 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:We are ready to drive onward and upward, Glasgow will only have 15 players on the park too and we can and will beat them, there may not be a bonus point but 4 will be welcome.

Exactly.Derby matches have an uncanny way of not going to form or league positions.Get in there Edinburgh lets upset the apple cart once again!
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:39 pm

I think both teams have imprOver in the areas they were weak and in some cases it is just a single player who has made a difference.

Where we could have an advantage is in forward carrying, Ashe has been playing well but they don’t have much more. Not easy to crystallise that but we need to hit them hard and somehow keep the balm away from their backs. We desperately need Matt Scott back and in the summer centre will again be the position we need to improve on.

As an aside the Glasgow forum seems to have melted, I think it was because someone mentioned Pyrgos!
There was a fair post about Edinburgh players being more up for the game than Glasgow, which is an interesting point. Why can’t we carry that intensity in all games? Why do they seem happy to roll over to us?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to play Edinburgh in the Guinness PRO14, 1872 Cup First Leg at BT Murrayfield, Saturday 22 December, kick-off 5.15pm - live on Premier Sports 1. You can follow the game on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:
1. Oli Kebble (21)
2. Grant Stewart (12)
3. Siua Halanukonuka (20)
4. Rob Harley (196)
5. Jonny Gray (95)
6. Adam Ashe (62)
7. Callum Gibbins (C) (27)
8. Matt Fagerson (36)

9. George Horne (30)
10. Adam Hastings (19)
11. DTH van der Merwe
12. Peter Horne (149)
13. Nick Grigg (51)
14. Tommy Seymour (123)
15. Stuart Hogg (111)

Replacements

16. Kevin Bryce (16)
17. Jamie Bhatti (34)
18. D’Arcy Rae (52)
19. Tim Swinson (116)
20. Chris Fusaro (153)
21. Ali Price (66)
22. Huw Jones (15)
23. Niko Matawalu (103)
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:59 pm

The only "surprise" might be Harley over Swinson.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm

15 Kinghorn
14 Graham
13 Johnstone
12 Dean
11 VDM
10 VDW
9 Pyrgos

1 Schoeman
2 McInally
3 Nel
4 Toolis
5 Gilchrist
6 Hamilton
7 Watson
8 Mata

16 Cherry
17 Dell
18 Ceccarelli
19 CHH
20 Crosbie
21 Fowles
22 Hickey
23 Socino

Berghan a notable absentee, not listed as injured either.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Berghan will have Scotland rest periods.

McCallum is more noticeable - is he injured?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Berghan will have Scotland rest periods.

McCallum is more noticeable - is he injured?

Cockerill doesn't seem feart to pick whoever is training well - Fordy is not listed as injured and I'd have been tempted to pick him on the bench for the scrummage later on, but Cherry is obviously the main back up to Rambo just now.

Likewise Ceccerelli must be doing the business in training
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:35 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:There was a fair post about Edinburgh players being more up for the game than Glasgow, which is an interesting point. Why can’t we carry that intensity in all games? Why do they seem happy to roll over to us?

I just don't buy this anymore, Pre-Cockerill perhaps it was the case, but our performance levels are much more consistent now we just need to look at application against Toulon and Scarlets at home, Montpellier away and both Newcastle games, our intensity was very good just our skill levels did not match the same heights at times.

If we are questioning why Edinburgh don’t maintain intensity v Zebre etc it is exactly the same question as to why Glasgow don’t against us, not acceptable on either account.

Given current league standings, I don’t doubt that the league points on offer tomorrow are more important to us but that would be the case irrespective of who we were playing we have to start closing the gap to the teams above us.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:54 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Where we could have an advantage is in forward carrying, Ashe has been playing well but they don’t have much more.

you've not been watching Kebble then, or how Fagerson makes yards with footwork. It isn't all about big bruiser carries, where Edin might have an edge. You said one player can be the difference and Edinburgh's point of difference is Mata. If Glasgow restrict him we have a problem Houston!

Where the Glasgow pack has been better is making short carries into front foot ball - and then attacking remorselessly. This is the Edinburgh pack's weakest suit - lots of carries, lots of possession, but all too often slow. And Glasgow have struggled if the opposition slows their ball

It could easily come down to which is the most successful, Glasgow shutting down Mata, or Edinburgh slowing Glasgow ball.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:25 pm

As spectacular as Mata has been, I don't think it's all about him, Hamilton has carried well, McInally, Watson, Schoeman all carry well. Nel looks like he is hitting his straps again, Gilcho and Toolis do the close carries that don't show up in the stats very well but are just as essential. Bradbury is a miss in these stakes, Ritchie is a miss for other reasons and we are waiting on Barclay still.

Toolis will be targeting the Glasgow lineout. Kebble has been very good for Glasgow but their scrum did creak a few times against Lyon. It's an area you'd think would be in our favour but you never really know until they get on the park.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Agree and that the point I was making. Hamilton and Schoeman have been fantastic for us both carrying and in agreeive defence. Mcinally and Watson in most teams would be main ball carriers.

We will miss Ritchie for slowing their ball. I hope we can do enough of that.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum