Edinburgh v Glasgow 22Dec 17:15

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow 22Dec 17:15

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:49 pm

Like always we wanted it more than Glasgow.

Pretty lucky they didn't check the first try - Van Der Merwe was in touch!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:50 pm

Frenchy wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Too long, our players not getting in a position to compete. Easy gathers for opposition

Thanks.

No chance it was tactical? Couple of times Watson and Graham were able to bundle DTH into touch from a box kick, and he knocked at least one on as well.

No probs, you have a point too though, I felt we were just giving the ball away
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:52 pm

joe soap wrote:
Frenchy wrote:I thought Grigg threw the second intercept pass, or was I just seeing things?

Hastings threw 2, Grigg one. Think Hastings threw both for the tries

Ah, glad I'm not completely making things up. Grigg threw the one that ended in a penalty and Gibbins' yellow card?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Grigg was sensible and threw the one to pyrgos rather than Duhan.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:51 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Pyrgos’ box kicking was ####

That aside good game from us. In particular not conceding in the second half. So much for Glasgow’s much vaunted back line

Pyrgos box kicking was the game plan. Box kick five yards shorter than normal and draw their back three into a position that they have no chance of launching typical Glasgow play from. That means their forwards have to work to get beck to that point in a way they don't normally have to. And then Horne G is starting from a position on the back foot.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:59 pm

Good performance all round, we just strangled Glasgow in every facet, scrum was fantastic and a real statement from Nel that he is back to his best and had Kebble on toast.

I thought VDW looked excellent and his kicking was top drawer. If we could have Scott and an in form Bennet hitting those fizzing passes it would cut a lot of teams open.

One thing that bugs me is Kinghorn just looks too casual, too often letting the ball bounce. He n Ed’s to attack the ball
More and really claim it.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:00 am

biffer wrote:

That aside good game from us. In particular not conceding in the second half. So much for Glasgow’s much vaunted back line

Pyrgos box kicking was the game plan. Box kick five yards shorter than normal and draw their back three into a position that they have no chance of launching typical Glasgow play from. That means their forwards have to work to get beck to that point in a way they don't normally have to. And then Horne G is starting from a position on the back foot.

Yup, worked like a dream. Very happy with that performance. Calm, composed and they made a tough encounter look almost routine. It'll be interesting to see how Glasgow respond next weekend.

Some thoughts on all that at: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:03 am

Very pleased with that. Glasgow have generally been superb this season, but our defence was on top of them all game.

How rapid is Duhan?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:18 am

Martin Bell wrote:
biffer wrote:

Yup, worked like a dream. Very happy with that performance. Calm, composed and they made a tough encounter look almost routine. It'll be interesting to see how Glasgow respond next weekend.

Some thoughts on all that at: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

Excellent article, Martin.

I think Duhan owes his brethren in the 1 to 8 shirts a pint (and their replacements)

Very chuffed, but we have to back it up next week, now.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:32 am

Musings

Scrum dominant

Line out very good

Defense superb

Breakdown dominant

Glasgow should have started Rae & Nico. No Dunbar & Brown really hurt Glasgow.

Lightweight backs mean Glasgow need space & front foot ball, both expertly denied by Edinburgh

Edinburgh forwards and Glasgow backs would be a very good team.

I've never been 100% sold on Hastings.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:50 am

Fair points on the box kicking. I would just rather we held onto the ball a little more. Still good win so we must have done something right
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:18 am

I still think VDW @ 12 & Hickey @ 12 would give Edinburgh more options presently.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:39 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Mcinally 20 tackles, 30+m carried maybe need to be reassess my motm shout.

Schoeman 15 tackles, watson 19.

Mata only 17 carries... Must try harder :)

Revised stats Mcinally 21 tackles 1 missed, watson 20 none missed.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:45 am

In relation to the 'stifling' comments, did anyone else think that was like watching Leicester from a decade ago? That is a compliment btw.

It is hard to see what Glasgow can do in the scrum. Promoting Rae will make little difference as he did OK against Dell but Schoeman is a better scrummager.

You'd expect Glasgow to up the intensity, but that can backfire if they throw the ball around harum scarum (wishful thinking). It is a big ask, but if Edinburgh can win next week it is a season changer. Not because it is Glasgow, but because it is one of the best teams in the league and it brings much needed points.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:51 am

Btw, anyone have any idea why Grigg ignored protocol and sprinted off?
Weegie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum