Edinburgh v Glasgow 22Dec 17:15

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow 22Dec 17:15

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:53 am

Weegie wrote:In relation to the 'stifling' comments, did anyone else think that was like watching Leicester from a decade ago? That is a compliment btw.

It is hard to see what Glasgow can do in the scrum. Promoting Rae will make little difference as he did OK against Dell but Schoeman is a better scrummager.

You'd expect Glasgow to up the intensity, but that can backfire if they throw the ball around harum scarum (wishful thinking). It is a big ask, but if Edinburgh can win next week it is a season changer. Not because it is Glasgow, but because it is one of the best teams in the league and it brings much needed points.

Reading lots of comments about Glasgow’s underperformance. The reality is we didn’t allow them to play. More a reflection on how Edinburgh played not how Glasgow did
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:33 am

GaryIPA wrote:Too long, our players not getting in a position to compete. Easy gathers for opposition

Cobblers. The kicks were relatively short and the chase was designed to subdue on catch, not to compete. Edinburgh could have competed for pretty much every kick but chose not to. Clearly a tactic to not allow any broken play kick returns from the Weeg back three.

I don't recall any box kicks from either Pyrgos or Fowles that could not have been contested because they were too long.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:16 am

bignose wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Too long, our players not getting in a position to compete. Easy gathers for opposition

Cobblers. The kicks were relatively short and the chase was designed to subdue on catch, not to compete. Edinburgh could have competed for pretty much every kick but chose not to. Clearly a tactic to not allow any broken play kick returns from the Weeg back three.

I don't recall any box kicks from either Pyrgos or Fowles that could not have been contested because they were too long.

Yeah tackle the catch is the tactic. Don't want to risk yellow card through bad competition in the air.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:28 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Yeah tackle the catch is the tactic. Don't want to risk yellow card through bad competition in the air.

That’s how I read what was going on, too. Graham slowed or stopped and hit his opponent as soon as his foot was on the ground.

Btw, Graham was hobbling by the end, hope he is okay, the guy has the heart of a lion, he punches way above his weight
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:06 pm

bignose wrote:

Absolutely. It was a deliberate tactic to negate their back three, and it was executed perfectly.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:

That’s how I read what was going on, too. Graham slowed or stopped and hit his opponent as soon as his foot was on the ground.

Btw, Graham was hobbling by the end, hope he is okay, the guy has the heart of a lion, he punches way above his weight

He was hobbling after about 30s as well, though.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:23 pm

Think this will be as close as Cockerill gets to wishing the squad merry Christmas?

"Our players are professionals, and they are get paid to do their job during the week. All the good sides I have played in or coached, they rock up every week and put a performance in. We haven’t got a big enough squad to rotate massively because we’ve got a lot of injuries in key positions, especially around the back five of the scrum and the midfield, so our boys will freshen up and we are going to go to Scotstoun with pretty much the same team and try to win. It’s nothing new with that, we’ve been a protected species far too long up here – the real world is proper rugby, where you have to turn up week in, week out and perform. That’s the game.”

https://scrummagazine.com/richard-cocke ... s-defence/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:01 pm

I’m sure the squad will know when they’ve done well, RC won’t be roaring at them so loudly, but, in a way he’s right, these guys get good money to perform( and hopefully good aftercare?) so we should be rewarded with performances like this week in week out. I am not suggesting that the players aren’t worth the money nor should be expected to play when less 100% but the rest of us have to turn up at work when we’d rather not.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Great result,well played Edinburgh.Lets keep the momentum going and take the points next week.
TBH after the Zebre result we really need more of that and to pick up the 4 points,i know its a big ask,but if they are rattled we can win even through at Scotstoun.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:56 pm

Have now rewatched the first half.

Watching live, I couldn't disagree with the Glasgow fan next to me that Edinburgh were getting lucky with refereeing decisions, but on rewatching I'm not seeing anything Adamson's got wrong.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Frenchy wrote:Have now rewatched the first half.

Watching live, I couldn't disagree with the Glasgow fan next to me that Edinburgh were getting lucky with refereeing decisions, but on rewatching I'm not seeing anything Adamson's got wrong.

We all watch the game in front of us with one eye, it's only really a matter of degree. I always think we are getting done over at the time, when I watch it again with cooler blood most times the refs get it right - most times.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:14 am

Having watched almost all of it on telly again I feel we might have had another yellow cardinour favour for tackling the man in the air but overall it was reffed fairly well, quite strange to be saying that.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:29 am

Frenchy wrote:Have now rewatched the first half.

There were some obvious ones but not against one particular side. Before their try he was shouting a Horne to.get off our player then no penalty as he wrestles him further. An obvious offside from a knock on that should have been a Glasgow pen. Then the penalty against Kinghorn for a challenge on Hogg was never a penalty.

Adamson is a poor ref and even if he was good, a former Glasgow player should not be reffing Glasgow games.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:19 am

We played our simple game plan fantastically well and deservedly won the game. We suffocate teams with our strong pack, excellent kicking from Pyrgos, a good chase and a fast defensive line sending out a player out wide to cut off teams going round us. If they try and go back and around we just blitz them and send in our back row. Eventually teams have to kick and we take our chances with our back 3, with all of them able to beat a man and get behind the defence. Our set piece is excellent, line out is strong and scrum is better than most. We dont create lots of tries but we make good use of any turnover ball and we can create a couple of chances every game. We can be open to teams attacking our midfield particularly off first phase ball when we get a bit square and static.

The Weegies struggled up front and never had fast ball, we pushed them back behind the gain line time and time again. Their set piece struggled and they couldn't attack of first phase, our blitz defence pushed them back and inside to our forwards. Hastings got caught going backwards, way behind the gain line and in possession and our back row loved it! When he tried going around our defence he didnt spot our defender being sent out the line. Im surprised they didnt try more short kicking behind our defence or kept the ball in hand up front for longer to try and create a mismatch.

When we have our first choice pack out we are a match for most teams and the game plan works. However we will struggle against the bigger teams who can match us up front and our pressure game doesn't work. Thats when we miss the likes of Scott who can run the angles at pace like he did against Toulon when he gets a mismatch. Our gameplan is still limited but plays to our strengths. Cockers has us well drilled, fit and hungry. However I think he needs a few more players to take us up a step.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Another good interview with Cockerill

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-glasgow-underdogs/

When it was pointed out to Cockerill that he is hardly scraping the talent barrel with a pack of internationalists at his disposal, the combative Englishman couldn’t resist pointing out how his direct and uncompromising approach to the game has revolutionised the capital squad from a rag-bag assortment of under-performing misfits into a well-oiled machine.

“Only because they work hard and they’re well coached,” he said. “They’ve earned their spots. It wasn’t the whole Scotland pack when I arrived, was it?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum