1872 2.0; The rise of Big Dick

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 2.0; The rise of Big Dick

Postby disco on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Wottie wrote:
macdone wrote:
Wottie wrote:Fraz must be due back soon? Would be good to have him back to help rotate our locks for the Kings match ahead of the trip to Toulon. I would play Toolis and Gilco on Saturday and have a real go at a victory. We need to rest Matta for a game ahead of Europe. He must be knackered!!

http://edinburghrugby.org/news/18/12/28 ... n-showdown

There's an injured list at the bottom and Fraz isn't on it.

Great, I think we can expect to see him and CHH line up against the Kings next week to rest Toolis and Gichrist for Toulon. Maybe see Ben on the bench.

Assuming they're all covered by Scotland rest protocols (which I think they must be) then McInally, Nel, Gilchrist, Toolis, Watson and Kinghorn will all need to miss the Kings game if they're going to play against Toulon.

Some interesting decisions for Cockerill to make on resting Mata and the Edinburgh backline from 9-14 as well. Does he want them starting 8 in a row before they get a break? (Would be 9 for Van Der Walt and 10 for Van Der Merwe.)
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 am

I don't think it is as big an issue for wingers are they aren't doing the heavy lifting and will recover quicker unless it is a specific injury. Although VDM did seem to be limping in the last game.

We have a bit of cover in the forwards but really not much in the backs. Assume Brown, Fife, Hickey and Socino can come in, we really need to develop some more youngsters in the backs.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:00 am

Unless Matt Scott is back-and even if he is-I imagine George Taylor might get a chance next week.Looked pretty impressive in the Munster debacle.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:54 pm

We were much the better side the first half but need to have more points on the board away to Glasgow I fear.

Pack are well up for it. Backs just aren't sharp enough - too ponderous.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Not too much in it, lets hope the wind at our backs can give us a bit of momentum in the second half
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Yesssss!

Get in. Great display from the pack
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 pm

Cue “anti-rugby” chat from the Weegies. The parallels between what we do to Glasgow and what Wales do to Scotland is uncanny.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:29 pm

Wottie wrote:Cue “anti-rugby” chat from the Weegies. The parallels between what we do to Glasgow and what Wales do to Scotland is uncanny.

Remember it's a nothing cup

More hilarious as our CC results may well affect that qualification
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:33 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Wottie wrote:Cue “anti-rugby” chat from the Weegies. The parallels between what we do to Glasgow and what Wales do to Scotland is uncanny.

Most cups are nothing cups when you don’t have them I suppose!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:40 pm

Wottie wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Most cups are nothing cups when you don’t have them I suppose!

But but but .....
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:10 am

doedin wrote:Same team (almost), same gameplan and same result hopefully! I dont think Cockers has much choice or scope to change the team or tactics but I like the challenge that this sets the Weegies. We are coming to do the same again so you guys need to step up and do something different than the last game, if not we will do you over again. It will be interesting to see if they can step up to the challenge, they have been found wanting when things don't go their way in big games. There is a bit of mental fragility at times with them when they are under pressure and going backwards up front. I can see Cockers getting the team really psyched out for this game and expect to see us going full pelt up front and in defence to try and shake them up. Could be interesting ... expect a real physical game.

Almost a carbon copy of the first game! Weegies have no answer to our pack dominance and just can't cope with the rush defence and our ability to close them down and stopping their wide game. Excellent performance from all our guys who all looked confident and knew exactly what their roles were and stuck to the game plan. With a few guys hopefully coming back from the injured list we should be able to maintain this level of performance.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:36 am

Made my day.
Even the the local wendyball team beat the scum, oops sorry local derby rivals.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:54 am

Our front 5 were outstanding yesterday, not only in the set piece but they carried and out tackled their opposite number, a great advert for getting that right and tiring out the opposition forwards who have to graft even to compete, it doesn`t allow them to contribute elsewhere on the pitch.
We still go too lateral in attack in the backs, missing a real ball carrying threat in midfield as a result it closes down the space afforded to our wingers.
Interesting to note the whineing on the Warriors forum about the scrummaging. Both Kebble and Nel were asked by Clancy to get their legs under them to help support the scrum , Nel responded and Kebble didn`t , when he was YCed you could see him going long with his legs hence the collapse, Nel loves bigger opponents as it allows him to get underneath them and negate their power. Schoemann is nothing but power in the scrums and does so legally , his contribution yesterday was not only their but also his tackling and carrying especially putting Gray on his KelvinDeaker from which Gray didn`t recover.
Pyrgos is a good addition for us , he controls a game really well, yes at times maybe to slow in releasing the ball from rucks but his work rate in defence is very high.
J Gray made to look ordinary yesterday, whilst he does the odd carry he doesn`t contribute in the same way that either Toolis and Gilco do.
Did anyone else see the stamp by Wilson on Gilco in the collapsed maul just before Horne scored ?
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Wilson?, surely not.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:26 pm

borderflanker wrote:Our front 5 were outstanding yesterday, not only in the set piece but they carried and out tackled their opposite number, a great advert for getting that right and tiring out the opposition forwards who have to graft even to compete, it doesn`t allow them to contribute elsewhere on the pitch.
We still go too lateral in attack in the backs, missing a real ball carrying threat in midfield as a result it closes down the space afforded to our wingers.
Interesting to note the whineing on the Warriors forum about the scrummaging. Both Kebble and Nel were asked by Clancy to get their legs under them to help support the scrum , Nel responded and Kebble didn`t , when he was YCed you could see him going long with his legs hence the collapse, Nel loves bigger opponents as it allows him to get underneath them and negate their power. Schoemann is nothing but power in the scrums and does so legally , his contribution yesterday was not only their but also his tackling and carrying especially putting Gray on his KelvinDeaker from which Gray didn`t recover.
Pyrgos is a good addition for us , he controls a game really well, yes at times maybe to slow in releasing the ball from rucks but his work rate in defence is very high.
J Gray made to look ordinary yesterday, whilst he does the odd carry he doesn`t contribute in the same way that either Toolis and Gilco do.
Did anyone else see the stamp by Wilson on Gilco in the collapsed maul just before Horne scored ?

Good post.
We still have room for improvement,but Cockers has installed belief and made us a tough nut to crack.We will improve in the centre ,no doubt about that,at the moment its all about winning,no matter how we achieve it,we can then develop into a more free flowing team.Although the centres appear to be no world beaters ,they put in the hard yards and tackle really well,long may that continue.Matt Scott,however on his top game will rip most teams a new arsehole,but our present centres have contributed well to our last 4 performances.Ps,yeh i noticed the stamp,just what i would expect from him.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum