1872 2.0; The rise of Big Dick

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

1872 2.0; The rise of Big Dick

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:05 am

Sure we would all be happy with a carbon copy of last week. There might be a few changes though, Berg surely has to come on somewhere and wouldn't even surprised if he started. Similarly for Ritchie, although Hamilton has been playing so well he is hard to leave out. GG and Big Ben are likely to need rotated at some point I would think and wouldn't be good if it was at the same time, if Glasgow pick the same powered puff pack then this might be the game to do it andCHH has looked the part.

Same question as every other week, any sign of Matt Scott being available yet, he would make a huge difference for us in the backs, if not I would give Socino a run.

Other than that I would change as little as possible.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Re: 1872 2.0; The rise of Big Dick

Postby Weegie on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:43 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Sure we would all be happy with a carbon copy of last week. There might be a few changes though, Berg surely has to come on somewhere and wouldn't even surprised if he started. Similarly for Ritchie, although Hamilton has been playing so well he is hard to leave out. GG and Big Ben are likely to need rotated at some point I would think and wouldn't be good if it was at the same time, if Glasgow pick the same powered puff pack then this might be the game to do it andCHH has looked the part.

Same question as every other week, any sign of Matt Scott being available yet, he would make a huge difference for us in the backs, if not I would give Socino a run.

Other than that I would change as little as possible.

Cockerill said recently that Scott would be under 'return to play' protocols for another two or three weeks. I inferred from what he said that Scott aid he was not responding as expected and they were taking their time.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:38 am

Becoming concerning, hopefully he will be back soon.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 am

Fraz must be due back soon? Would be good to have him back to help rotate our locks for the Kings match ahead of the trip to Toulon. I would play Toolis and Gilco on Saturday and have a real go at a victory. We need to rest Matta for a game ahead of Europe. He must be knackered!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Agree, Crosbie coming back should lighten the load on Bill a bit.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:19 pm

15. Blair Kinghorn (74)

14. Darcy Graham (14)

13. James Johnstone (31)

12. Chris Dean (77)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (30)

10. Jaco van der Walt (27)

9. Henry Pyrgos (13)

1. Pierre Schoeman (10)

2. Stuart McInally (130) CAPTAIN

3. WP Nel (125)

4. Ben Toolis (100)

5. Grant Gilchrist (130)

6. Jamie Ritchie (57)

7. Hamish Watson (91)

8. Viliame Mata (48)

Replacements: 16. David Cherry (9); 17. Allan Dell (54); 18. Simon Berghan (58); 19. Callum Hunter-Hill (9); 20. Luke Crosbie (18); 21 Nathan Fowles (65); 22. Simon Hickey (13); 23. Juan Pablo Socino (11)

No issue with that, Ritchie brings something different from Hamilton, if anything Glasgow will find it harder to generate quick ball.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:30 pm

No surprise there at all-and Ritchie/ Crosbie's return allows Hamilton to get a rest.Unlike Glasgow there are no strong options outside the 23 to mix up perhaps apart from possibly with the props.
I wonder of we are looking at a 2nd Xv (like the Munster game) taking on Kings next week so the top team can be rested before the next two rounds of Europe? Dangerous as essential we get 4/5 points from that one.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Hamilton failed his HIA during the match last week so I assume not fit rather than rested.

Cockerill has said he will rotate for Kings but hopefully we should have Mckenzie back at least.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:16 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Hamilton failed his HIA during the match last week so I assume not fit rather than rested.

Cockerill has said he will rotate for Kings but hopefully we should have Mckenzie back at least.

He's not listed as injured on the team release. It's a hard choice for Cockers with Ritchie and Hamilton playing excellent rugby and Crosbie who could be better than both of them in a year or so.

Agree. Really concerning about Carmichael and Scott. Did either have concussion problems last year?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Wottie wrote:Fraz must be due back soon? Would be good to have him back to help rotate our locks for the Kings match ahead of the trip to Toulon. I would play Toolis and Gilco on Saturday and have a real go at a victory. We need to rest Matta for a game ahead of Europe. He must be knackered!!

http://edinburghrugby.org/news/18/12/28 ... n-showdown

There's an injured list at the bottom and Fraz isn't on it.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Same team (almost), same gameplan and same result hopefully! I dont think Cockers has much choice or scope to change the team or tactics but I like the challenge that this sets the Weegies. We are coming to do the same again so you guys need to step up and do something different than the last game, if not we will do you over again. It will be interesting to see if they can step up to the challenge, they have been found wanting when things don't go their way in big games. There is a bit of mental fragility at times with them when they are under pressure and going backwards up front. I can see Cockers getting the team really psyched out for this game and expect to see us going full pelt up front and in defence to try and shake them up. Could be interesting ... expect a real physical game.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:57 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Same question as every other week, any sign of Matt Scott being available yet, he would make a huge difference for us in the backs, if not I would give Socino a run.

Scott's condition mentioned above, but Mark Bennett went for his first run post op the other day according to his Instagram story.

Also has Fife been injured? can't remember when I last saw him
STKS
International

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:24 pm

doedin wrote:Same team (almost), same gameplan and same result hopefully! I dont think Cockers has much choice or scope to change the team or tactics but I like the challenge that this sets the Weegies. We are coming to do the same again so you guys need to step up and do something different than the last game, if not we will do you over again. It will be interesting to see if they can step up to the challenge, they have been found wanting when things don't go their way in big games. There is a bit of mental fragility at times with them when they are under pressure and going backwards up front. I can see Cockers getting the team really psyched out for this game and expect to see us going full pelt up front and in defence to try and shake them up. Could be interesting ... expect a real physical game.

Fair comment
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Rae and Swinson definitely add a bit to the breakdown for Glasgow, but Ritchie does for us as well. Be interesting to see and might swing on the ref's interpretation.

Edit - aww AlainRolland, it's Clancy. Who knows what'll go on in that lucky eight ball of a brain.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:33 pm

macdone wrote:
Wottie wrote:Fraz must be due back soon? Would be good to have him back to help rotate our locks for the Kings match ahead of the trip to Toulon. I would play Toolis and Gilco on Saturday and have a real go at a victory. We need to rest Matta for a game ahead of Europe. He must be knackered!!

http://edinburghrugby.org/news/18/12/28 ... n-showdown

There's an injured list at the bottom and Fraz isn't on it.

Great, I think we can expect to see him and CHH line up against the Kings next week to rest Toolis and Gichrist for Toulon. Maybe see Ben on the bench.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum